RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 145,527
Members: 25,802
Currently online: 423
Newest member: JE Smith

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 1 2015, 04:18 PM   #1
Tom Hendricks
King of the Wicker People

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile
Your Top & Bottom Movies Released in 2014

I only saw 18 movies actually released in 2014, so here are my top 15 and bottom 3. You can have as many or as few as you like. Please try to keep to movies actually released in 2014.

Top 15

15. Robocop - I actually liked the movie, but it was close to being on the bottom list.
14. The Lego Movie - I know other people were enamored with this movie but to me it was just ok.
13. Planes: Fire & Rescue - I wasn't expecting much going in, was way better then it should have been. Probably the best movie in this whole "cars" universe.
12. Maleficent - I have a love/hate relationship with this movie. Out side of Angelina Jolie, who was born to play the character everything else is mediocre.
11. X-Men: Days of Future Past - The best X-Men movie to date, really enjoyed it.
10. Jodorowsky's Dune - Give this man 200 million and let him make this version. I don't know if it would be Dune but it would be trippy as hell.
9. Godzilla - The movie makes me think of Ian Malcom's line from Jurassic Park. There is going to be Godzilla in the Godzilla movie. It was a good movie but not great.
8. How to Train your Dragon 2 - A good second movie, however some of the heart is missing. Didn't stop me from crying when Stoick sacrificed himself. The reconnection between Stoick and Valka is beautiful.
7. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies - The only Hobbit movie I actually saw in the theater. Again, just okay. Makes me wish we got a two hour version of the Battle of Helms Deep.
6. Chef - Jon Favreau's turn to smaller film making and its a winner.
5. Tim's Vermeer - A great documentary about trying to recreate how Vermeer painted the Music Lesson.
4. Big Hero 6 - A fantastic movie, the bond between Hiro and Baymax is endearing.
3. Edge of Tomorrow - Didn't expect this movie to be so great. A lot of it has to do with a wonderful performance by Tom Cruise.
2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Simply the best Super Hero movie to date, for me anyway.
1. Guardians of the Galaxy - It must be the M of Marvel in front of these movies that make them so great. Or maybe they are just great movies.

Bottom 3

3. SpiderMan 2 - Awfuller then SpiderMan 1
2. Sabotage - Poorly written, poorly directed and poorly acted.
1. Transformers: Age of Extinction

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2015, 04:41 PM   #2
EnriqueH
Fleet Captain

Re: Your Top & Bottom Movies Released in 2014

This year I saw:

Sabotage---enjoyed it. It's trendy to beat up on Arnold these days, but I still think he makes a fun movie. In this case, it was a bit more serious and I think he pulled it off.

November Man---I also enjoyed this, but it could've been a lot better. Worth it for Brosnan fans who want to see him in a "Taken" older-guy-still-a-badass type role. Personally, I love Brosnan and really wanted to see this movie succeed because I'd like to continue to see him in action roles, and I thought there was a good shot at it, but the word-of-mouth fizzled and it never took off.

3 Days to Kill---Another "Taken" older-guy-still-badass role, this time with Costner. The movie is an action-comedy hodgepodge. Entertaining diversion, but as with November Man, it's nowhere near as good as Liam Neeson's "Taken 1" or "Non-Stop". Unfortunately.

Expendables 3---I love these movies. It's become trendy to bash the 80s action heroes, but these movies are fun throwbacks. It's unfortunate that the bootlegs came out so close to the movie's premiere.

Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones---Ok popcorn fare for some average scares. The series is out of gas. Better than some other horror flicks but way below the first and third movies, which were to me, the best two of this increasingly tired franchise.

Grand Budapest Hotel---I've never been a big Wes Anderson fan, (I didn't quite get the appeal for Rushmore, and I thought Royal Tenanbaums was ok but overrated, but Grand Budapest Hotel makes me want to revisit the other. I enjoyed this character rich film, with its unique characters, color palette, and a wonderful lead in Ralph Fiennes.
Old January 1 2015, 04:52 PM   #3
EnriqueH
Fleet Captain

I accidentally hit the post button before I was finished:

Non-Stop---This Liam Neeson entry is his best since the first Taken. Definitely worth a look for those who enjoy his work.

Gone Girl---Ultra suspenseful film, riveting from start to finish. Definitely a must-see 2014 film.

Interstellar---Mindbending, smart science-fiction film with phenomenal effects, good performances and keeps you guessing throughout.

X-Men: Days of Future Past---I've been a fan of this series since the first film, which I saw in theaters back in 2000. I've enjoyed all the movies, including this one. But despite the positive reviews, I'll tell you a secret---I found this entry a little tired. Still, I always root for X-Men movies to do well, and I'm glad this one did.

Captain America: Winter Soldier---Marvel continues its unbelievable roll, churning out excellent superhero films and making it look incredibly easy. Great cast: Loved Redford, but I was especially impressed with Anthony Mackie as Falcon. And it was great to see Sam L in an extended role as Nick Fury.

Guardians of the Galaxy: This was probably the most fun at the movies this year. I went in with my brother and some of his friends, totally expecting it to be...just ok. And they really tapped into something: an ingenuity with characters and worlds that we probably haven't seen since...the original Star Wars? Regardless, it was a fun time at the movies filled with all the emotions you could want from a movie.
Old January 1 2015, 06:47 PM   #4
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

I didn't see very many movies this year in the theaters. I've been catching up with them on DVD, so I'll have a better list in like six months.

1. Boyhood

This movie is to millennials what Dazed and Confused was to Gen X.

2. Birdman

A weird movie where Michael Keaton plays a man who starred in a superhero franchise then turned down a sequel (I know, big stretch for him). It's beautifully shot and characterized and makes some good observations about how social media is used to stay relevant.

3. Edge of Tomorrow

What sticks out most about this film to me is that the aliens are the most visually imaginative ones we've seen in a long time.

4. The LEGO Movie

Just a whole lot of fun.

5. Guardians of the Galaxy

Another fun movie. I loved the characters but the action scenes were a bit cartoony and logicless for me to get into them.

6. The Grand Budapest Hotel

Visually a nice movie but it's one of those Wes Anderson films where the story is randomly all over the place.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2015, 07:20 PM   #5
sjsharksfan39
Admiral

View sjsharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Favorite movie: Boyhood
Least Favorite Movie: Birdman
Old January 1 2015, 08:09 PM   #6
EnriqueH
Fleet Captain

Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post
Edge of Tomorrow - Didn't expect this movie to be so great. A lot of it has to do with a wonderful performance by Tom Cruise.
I've always thought Tom Cruise has been unfairly imposed with a "pretty boy" crutch.

I've always thought he was a good, capable actor with lots of charisma and equally effective in action or dramatic roles.
Old January 1 2015, 08:26 PM   #7
Let the Good Times Roll!!

I didn't see many movies this year, but I'll put Interstellar on the top of my list, with Guardians of the Galaxy close behind.

I didn't see any movies I didn't like this year.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2015, 09:16 PM   #8
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

10. The One I Love
9. Camp X-Ray
8. John Wick
7. Captain America: Winter Soldier
6. Guardians of the Galaxy
5. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1
4. X-Men: Days of Future Past
3. Interstellar
2. Edge of Tomorrow
1. Boyhood

As far as the worst:
The 7500
Leprechaun: Origins
Left Behind
Old January 1 2015, 09:27 PM   #9
Sto-Vo-Kory
Captain

Guardians of the Galaxy
Captain America: Winter Soldier
The Fault in Our Stars
Wild
The Babadook
The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies
The Equalizer
Purge: Anarchy

Bottom
The Hercules movies
Dracula Untold
Maze Runner
Divergent
Dumb and Dumber to
The Quiet Ones
1,000,000 Ways to Die in the West
I, Frankenstein
Transcendence
Need for Speed
Monuments Men
300 2
Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2015, 09:33 PM   #10
Tom Hendricks
King of the Wicker People

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
10. The One I Love
9. Camp X-Ray
8. John Wick
7. Captain America: Winter Soldier
6. Guardians of the Galaxy
5. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1
4. X-Men: Days of Future Past
3. Interstellar
2. Edge of Tomorrow
1. Boyhood

As far as the worst:
The 7500
Leprechaun: Origins
Left Behind
I just watched The One I love, was wondering what your thoughts on the movie were? What do you think the doubles were? Are they the previous guest that somehow get altered to look like the new guest? Were they only informed by the sessions with the therapist?

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2015, 10:12 PM   #11
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Top Ten of Movies of 2014 (no particular order)

- Guardians of the Galaxy
- Captain America: The Winder Soldier
- X-Men: Days of Future Past
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part One
- Billy Crystal: 700 Sundays
- Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit
- Edge of Tomorrow
- Big Hero 6
- Interstellar
- Gone Girl

Bottom Five of the Year

The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Maleficent
22 Jump Street
Draft Day
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Old January 1 2015, 10:22 PM   #12
martok2112
Fleet Captain

Captain America:The Winter Soldier topped out my list.
Still just waiting to get Guardians of the Galaxy on blu-ray (and not in a rish to do so....for any movie that uses "Hooked on a Feeling" as a catchsong, well, ya' lost my interest for any big screen viewing.)

Worst? Anything with Seth Rogen in it gets an automatic shove to the bottom of the list.

I also enjoyed Sabotage. It was definitely not your typical Schwarzennegger action flick. It was more an action-drama than a "blow up cars with a Hollywood hand cannon" type of flick....and I welcomed that change for Arnie. I thought he did well in the movie.

Last edited by martok2112; January 2 2015 at 01:55 PM.
martok2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2015, 01:32 AM   #13
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

This year I only saw "X-Men: Days Of Future Past" at the theatre. It was either due to my schedule being busy or the movies that I looked up the trailer for I found did not pique my interest enough to make me spend the money on a movie ticket or a DVD/Blu-Ray. I also bought Spider-Man 2 on Blu-Ray, but I found that it was more of a CGI showcase than a movie with any decent story.

But a few other, for me, "New" movies that I saw in 2014 were:

Dragnet (1954 movie) - way better than the 1980's Dragnet movie.

The Incredible Hulk (2008) - pretty decent decent, and while I have not been a Hulk fan, it is a well written movie (plus I wanted to check a few things that were mentioned in "Marvel Agents Of Shield" Season 1).

"Man Of Steel" - easily worst than Spider-Man 2 as this movie just reeked of stale and moldy storylines --- I saw all 3 Christian Bale Batman's in the theaters, but I don't want to pay for a movie ticket for the Superman/Batman movie, or any other movie in this Cinema Universe if we are going to get a warmed up, rotten leftovers for a story.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2015, 12:49 PM   #14
J. Allen
Literary Osmotic

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

These are in order from best to worst.

TOP:

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) - Best film I watched all year. It was fun, exciting, full of hilarious moments, all wrapped up in a great story. I can't wait for the sequel!

Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks! (2014)
- This film was great! I enjoyed it better than the original Equestria Girls, and can't wait to see what comes next from DHX and Hasbro!

The Lego Movie (2014)
- Everything is awesome! A whimsical film about the joys of being a kid at heart. Loved it.

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 (2014)
- I've read the novels, and the films adapt them very well. Great acting, lots of suspense; I can't wait for the last film.

Maleficent (2014) - Angelina Jolie *is* Maleficent in this film. I like the approach the film took to the story lore, and I enjoyed this better than the original Disney animated film.

A Million Ways to Die in the West (2014) - I'm a fan of Seth MacFarlane. He's not to everyone's taste, but all I expected in this movie were crass jokes, farts, and references to vaginas. I got what I expected.

Noah (2014) - A film of epic proportions, that missed the mark somewhat. It wasn't a bad film, it was quite decent. To me it dragged overly long in places, but otherwise it was a good story filled with mythical creatures that engaged me for the most part.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014) - I didn't enjoy the sequel to the superb "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" as much as I hoped. It was good, solid acting with a good story, but I think it suffered from too long a running time. Hopefully the third will bounce back for me.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) - A good hybrid between the darkness of the comics, and the fun, lightheartedness of the cartoon series. The turtles' appearances took some adjusting, but when I found their personalities to still fit their characters, I was happy.

BOTTOM:

Legends of Oz (2014) - I was so disappointed in this film. I was looking forward to a fun romp in Oz with some great characters that I know and love, and what I got was not that. Not only that, the animation was subpar for what turned out to be a $70 million budgeted production. Just a terrible disappointment.

Left Behind (2014) - This is *the* worst movie of 2014. The acting was wooden, the story was junk, the special effects were non-existent, the characters were poorly fleshed out. It was a mess, and deserves every single insult thrown its way. Utter garbage.

Like My Little Pony? Join us at Brony Kingdom!

-= St. John of Trenton, Patron Saint of Cute Ponies =-
Bestowed upon me by Pondwater

Last edited by J. Allen; January 2 2015 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Forgot a few movies
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2015, 01:06 PM   #15
Mr Light
Admiral

View Mr Light's Twitter Profile

1. Hobbit 3
2. Guardians Galaxy
3. Winter Soldier
4. X-Men Future Past
5. How Train Dragon 2
6. Edge Tomorrow