TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old August 5 2014, 03:49 PM   #1231
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

I was thinking more along the lines of a difference of tactics. The Federation liked their large, powerful battleships whereas the Klingons liked smaller, more agile raiding ships. If you look at all Klingon ships through the years, their weapons are focused at the bow and are very maneuverable, combine that with the cloaking device and their preference to hunt in packs and you have the North Atlantic in WWI and II all over again.

If Germany could bring Britain to her knees just because the British considered submarines "dishonorable," one can only imagine what the Klingons could do to the Federation.
Old August 10 2014, 04:47 PM   #1232
F. King Daniel
Admiral

It makes me wonder how big those Klingon Warbirds seen during the KM test were. I'd guess much bigger than the Prime 'verse's D7 Battlecruisers... although the USS Kobayashi Maru didn't seem to have quite the standard Kelvin kitbash parts (and was based on Roger Sorwnsen's 283m long 1973 fan design)
Old August 11 2014, 03:47 AM   #1233
Lord Garth, FOI
Commander

It irritated the living shit out of me that they called them warbirds when I saw it in the theater
Know it shouldn't have but it did and I got laid that night too
I have issues
Lord Garth, FOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2014, 08:58 AM   #1234
F. King Daniel
Admiral

^Start worrying when you put off getting laid so you can spend the night raging about it online instead.

Even the most hardcore superfans use the wrong name, sometimes. It cropped up in the unreleased Phase II fan-film "Origins" (working title? "Eleven Sucks"), during their "done right" version of the Kobayashi Maru test:

Since "Klingon Warbird" has cropped up in ENT and ST'09, it's begun popping up in novels too where it's described as a bigger and more heavily armed version of a Battlecruiser.
Old August 12 2014, 09:18 PM   #1235
Gonzo
Lieutenant

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
^Start worrying when you put off getting laid so you can spend the night raging about it online instead.

Even the most hardcore superfans use the wrong name, sometimes. It cropped up in the unreleased Phase II fan-film "Origins" (working title? "Eleven Sucks"), during their "done right" version of the Kobayashi Maru test:

Since "Klingon Warbird" has cropped up in ENT and ST'09, it's begun popping up in novels too where it's described as a bigger and more heavily armed version of a Battlecruiser.
In original timeline

The Klingons used Birds of Prey and various Battlecruiser designs through TOS, TNG and DS9/VOY.
The Romulans used Warbirds in TNG and onwards, they originally used Birds of Prey (not very advanced) and then later Romulan versions of the Klingon D7 battle cruisers during TOS.

Of course with a reset that could easily all be different, with the Enterprise being so much bigger now it is not surprising they have up scaled the Klingon ships into perhaps larger Warbird versions.

If this is so it would be interesting to see what the writers come up with in regards to Romulan ships in this timeline, in TOS the Romulan Birds of Prey were pretty small and not that technologically advanced (only nuclear weaponry but did have cloak) only really achieving parity with the Federation with the introduction of the Romulan Battlecruisers towards the end of TOS.

Then we jumped to TNG and we got the Romulan Warbirds which were twice the size of the TNG Enterprise and packed a real punch, I have always wondered about how that came about. I know sometime during or prior to TOS the Romulans and Klingons collaborated on ship design and shared technologies. Which is where the Romulan Battlecruisers came from, they essentialy copied the Klingons D7 Battlecruiser.

Would like to see Romulans and their warships in the next film to compare, perhaps in this timeline the two powers did not share technologies like in the original timeline as Nero's incursion and the Klingons fleet losses interfered with it.
Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2014, 11:26 PM   #1236
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

(working title? "Eleven Sucks")
With that kinda acting and characterization, they shouldn't talk.
Old August 13 2014, 03:14 AM   #1237
Ithekro
Fleet Captain

The novel "Kobayashi Maru" from the 80's has the Klingons using cruisers designated 'war dragons' during Mr. Scott's test.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2014, 04:50 PM   #1238
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Ithekro wrote: View Post
The novel "Kobayashi Maru" from the 80's has the Klingons using cruisers designated 'war dragons' during Mr. Scott's test.
That writer was either lazy or knew nothing of Star Trek!!!
Old August 13 2014, 08:02 PM   #1239
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

War dragons sounds so badass...
Old August 13 2014, 10:32 PM   #1240
Ithekro
Fleet Captain

I was under the impression that the "war dragon" was an older Klingon cruiser, as Scott's test was several years before Kirk, Sulu, or Chekov's tests also written about in the same book. Only during Scott's test are they called war dragons.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2014, 11:24 PM   #1241
publiusr
Commodore

That's a pretty cool name.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2014, 01:29 PM   #1242
YellowSubmarine
Rear Admiral

Even the most hardcore superfans use the wrong name, sometimes.
How are you a hardcore superfan if you don't know that Riker is not on this Enterprise, and Jim Kirk has no will to fire at him?