Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed

Trek Big Bang Figures

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old August 16 2013, 09:41 AM   #931
saddestmoon
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Just came across this on Youtube. It's the Starship Vessel Simulator from the 2009 movie's Bluray. Not having the BR, it was my first time seeing it. Beautiful (not to mention big) ship.
Wow! Thanks for posting that vid!

I'd never seen it either - great to view the Enterprise from so many beautiful angles!

I concur: She certainly is a big and beautiful starship!!!

saddestmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 04:25 PM   #932
trevanian
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Crazy Eddie wrote: View Post

It was in Yesterday's Enteprrise. So were the bridges of the Enterprise-C, the Hathaway and the Stargazer. USS Voyager is the most dramatic by far; the upper level is a good three feet higher than the lower level and Tom's helm station is basically a hole in the ground. And though it's not a starship, the DS9 Ops deck actually made this concept explicit, placing the commander's office high above the rest of the floor "so subordinates have to look up with respect."
I'd also say the bridge of the original Enterprise had two levels.
I think what the other poster was I think saying that none of them were two-level (as in 2 storey) ... a split-level bridge (which almost all of them are, if they weren't they'd look like they were filmed in a garage, like the SEARCHER from 2ndseason BUCK ROGERS) is a whole other kettle of fish. Believe me, I lived in a few of homes growing up and they ALL had split-levels for the living room, and NONE of them were two-storey.

Probert originally designed the TNG bridge as being a genuine 2 storey (like 1st season MoonbaseAlfalfa on 1999)
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 04:44 PM   #933
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

And then there's this:

"Tonight's a special night."
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 05:20 PM   #934
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Lucky bastard!
Old August 16 2013, 11:48 PM   #935
Beagleman
Captain

Wow, beautiful!
Beagleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 12:20 AM   #936
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Is it me or does the paint job seem a little to white compared to what it looks like in the film?
Old August 17 2013, 10:57 PM   #937
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

That's a beautiful model!

The new Enterprise hull colour seems to change a lot depending on the lighting. On Nibiru when first rising from the ocean it looks very white like the model and how the TOS ship appeared with the original FX, over Vulcan and Titan it had the same yellowish tinge the Kelvin had, in deep space she's a gunmetal grey etc.

Oh and here's the bluray profile of the Narada. I love the detail here, endless layers of spikes and machinery. It looks like a 5-mile long flea. The info surprisingly mentions the Borg upgrade backstory from the Countdown comic, and actually explains the drill - that the beam sucks ore up as it drills down into it's target, and that the drill's maximum extended length is 110,000 miles.
Old August 18 2013, 05:42 AM   #938
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

trevanian wrote: View Post
I think what the other poster was I think saying that none of them were two-level (as in 2 storey)
It is not. Two level as in split level, as in the control room of the original Battlestar Galactica.

Or something kinda like this.
Old August 18 2013, 10:42 AM   #939
Belz...
Fleet Captain

The new Enterprise hull colour seems to change a lot depending on the lighting.
From what I undestand this is intentional. They wanted to simulate the paint scheme of the TMP Enterprise.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 10:55 AM   #940
YellowSubmarine
Commodore

Beautiful (not to mention big) ship.
Pause at 0:44. You can see undeniable proof that the new Enterprise is 1920 pixels long, and not a pixel more.
Old August 19 2013, 07:25 AM   #941
talfe'anhar
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks for sharing that video, I don't have the blu-ray so I'd never seen it. Such a beautiful lady!
talfe'anhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 08:48 AM   #942
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Now that the movie is out in HD on iTunes, let us return to the "how many decks are in the saucer?" issue. It turns out to throw a monkey wrench into things. We get a really good view of a corridor through a hole torn in the saucer edge at about 1:40:13:

(Click for high-rez)

I've brightened it up a bit so you can see things more clearly and outlined roughly where the corridor meets the saucer edge. As you can see, at least in this image, the saucer windows are not floor-to-ceiling like the bridge window. There's only room for two decks plus several feet of service space above and below. If you eliminate the service crawlways, you can squash three decks into the saucer, but then they don't line up with the windows at all.

It looks like the ILM guys scaled the corridor to fit between the inscribed "art deco" lines, resulting in a shot where the ship has to be smaller than 725 meters.

As he is the unofficial official documenter of these things, I leave it to King Daniel for further investigation.
Old August 22 2013, 09:14 AM   #943
Gonzo
Lieutenant

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
Now that the movie is out in HD on iTunes, let us return to the "how many decks are in the saucer?" issue. It turns out to throw a monkey wrench into things. We get a really good view of a corridor through a hole torn in the saucer edge at about 1:40:13:

(Click for high-rez)

I've brightened it up a bit so you can see things more clearly and outlined roughly where the corridor meets the saucer edge. As you can see, at least in this image, the saucer windows are not floor-to-ceiling like the bridge window. There's only room for two decks plus several feet of service space above and below. If you eliminate the service crawlways, you can squash three decks into the saucer, but then they don't line up with the windows at all.

It looks like the ILM guys scaled the corridor to fit between the inscribed "art deco" lines, resulting in a shot where the ship has to be smaller than 725 meters.

As he is the unofficial official documenter of these things, I leave it to King Daniel for further investigation.
Look at the middle picture you posted, some of the decks don't have windows and those that do are floor to ceiling ones, what you highlighted as one deck is actually two decks deep.

The saucer is four decks deep at the saucer edge, which is what many have been saying all along.

Pictures like this have already been posted further back in the thread and there is nothing new here.

Last edited by Gonzo; August 22 2013 at 09:24 AM.
Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 09:30 AM   #944
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Gonzo wrote: View Post
Some of the decks don't have windows and those that do are floor to ceiling ones, what you highlighted as one deck is actually two decks deep.
No. You can clearly see the curved corridor wall through the opening and it's twice the height of the windows on the same row.

Also notice you can only see one row of the rectangular "coffin" wall depressions through the windows, which would not be the case if the windows were the hight of the entire corridor.

It's more obvious that that's one deck when you see it in motion:

There's one wall, affected by one light source, with no floor or celling dividing it in half.

The saucer is at least four decks deep at the very least possibly six.
Based on the scaling of the bridge, atrium and shuttlebay, yes. What we see in this shot is not.

We already know ILM used multiple scales of ship in the first movie (the 350-ish meter ship used in the shipyard scene, for example). This is evidence that they've done the same with this movie.

Last edited by Gep Malakai; August 22 2013 at 09:45 AM.
Gep Malakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 09:49 AM   #945
Gonzo
Lieutenant

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
Some of the decks don't have windows and those that do are floor to ceiling ones, what you highlighted as one deck is actually two decks deep.
No. You can clearly see the curved corrdor wall through the opening and it's twice the height of the windows on the same row.

Also notice you can only see one row of the rectangular "coffin" wall depressions through the windows, which would not be the case if the windows were the hight of the entire corridor.

The saucer is at least four decks deep at the very least possibly six.
Based on the scaling of the bridge, atrium and shuttlebay, yes. What we see in this shot is not.

We already know ILM used multiple scales of ship in the first movie (the 350-ish meter ship used in the shipyard scene, for example). This is evidence that they've done the same with this movie.
The bright horizontal centre line looks exactly like what's left of a deck divider or exit from a double height deck observation area. We know how big a human being is from the shots of the bridge window and a four deck saucer edge fits perfectly.

Nothing you have said changes the fact that the ship is 725 meters long, why bang on about it, I can understand if you don't like it but its tough.
Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote