MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 17 2013, 05:39 PM   #286
Groknard
Ensign

Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

"Plaza", love it! In my original diagram, I ran a big column down the primary hull (next to a turbolift shaft), I think with the intention that it was a computer core. Your image makes me realize that I've already made space for the same plaza in my schematic, hooray!

Still, my biggest challenge remains trying to figure out how Spock got to the bridge so fast in the beginning of the 2009 film
Groknard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 06:19 PM   #287
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

beamMe wrote: View Post
throwback wrote: View Post
The new film muddles the matter further. The Enterprise has a second shuttlebay. It has at least 72 launch tubes in the secondary hull that are located on the sides of the ship. And it has a big white blocky thing that houses a "thing" that is the reactor. And it has a multi-deck circular room with "bridges" that connect corridor segments.
Are there actually 72 launch tubes?
I actually got the distinct impression that Admiral Marcus had Enterprise retrofitted with the new launch tubes specifically for the Kronos mission. I mean, it wasn't a minor thing that had Scotty so pissed off that he would rather resign than authorize them being brought on board; it was literally a totally unknown weapon system that had never been used before whose exact specs nobody understood.

It would be the equivalent of an aircraft carrier having a half dozen ICBM launchers bolted to the flight deck. The Air Boss is probably gonna have a problem with this.
Old May 17 2013, 06:21 PM   #288
cbspock
Rear Admiral

I don't think there were 72 tubes, in the graphic it looked like some tubes were loaded with the second shots outside the tubes.

Where was Shuttlebay 2? Was that on the side of the hanger deck?

-Chris
Old May 17 2013, 06:27 PM   #289
cbspock
Rear Admiral

Groknard wrote: View Post
"Plaza", love it! In my original diagram, I ran a big column down the primary hull (next to a turbolift shaft), I think with the intention that it was a computer core. Your image makes me realize that I've already made space for the same plaza in my schematic, hooray!

Still, my biggest challenge remains trying to figure out how Spock got to the bridge so fast in the beginning of the 2009 film
Because turbolifts move at plot speed

-Chris
Old May 17 2013, 07:32 PM   #290
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

It's already been put forward by at least three members here that it's a reasonable bet that there is a diagnoal heavy-g turbolift directly from the shuttlebay to the bridge for emergencies or rapid departures, when bridge/flag officers are coming about via shuttlecraft and can't wait half an hour to get up there.

And as for the tubes, when Khan scans the Enterprise, all the tubes are loaded but piles of torpedoes are waiting on the plaforms outside them that Carol is working away on earlier in the movie.
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 07:56 PM   #291
throwback
Captain

This is based on memory. When Khan beams over the torpedoes, we are shown a shot of one of the torpedoes in its launch tube being beamed out. The schematic seen at Khan's console shows the tubes lined up on either side of what would been engineering in the TMP Enterprise. We are shown the cryopods lying on the floor. Shuttlebay 2 is located forward of the main shuttlebay, on the port side.

Again, from memory, Scotty was not objecting to the launch tubes. I think the tubes were already in place. He was objecting to the fact that he couldn't scan the interior, and, as the torpedoes were powered by a fuel source, if these new weapons had an exotic mixture of fuel, that this mixture could be affected by the radiation, and that there might be an explosive reaction. When he asked the supply officer what was in the tubes, he was told that information was classified.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 10:37 AM   #292
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Another point in favor of a huge Enterprise: in the underwater Nibiru scene, you can clearly make out the windows on the secondary hull and they're as tall as both Kirk and McCoy are when they enter the airlock.

We also get a scene set on some walkways under the senor dome on top of the saucer (former bridge dome in the Prime timeline design) and the enclosed space is easily twice the size of the TOS bridge, if not larger.

There's a good comparison between the Vengeance's saucer and the Trans America building in San Fran during the crash sequence. That should provide a solid reference point for scale once someone can get a screencap of it. (Spoiler: the Vengeance towers over it.)
Old May 19 2013, 10:49 AM   #293
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Here's an HD screencap of the Vengeance's crash. A few seconds earlier we saw that the engineering hull was the size of Alcatraz island.
Old May 19 2013, 10:54 AM   #294
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

King Daniel wrote: View Post
Here's an HD screencap of the Vengeance's crash. A few seconds earlier we saw that the engineering hull was the size of Alcatraz island.
There's an even better angle earlier when the ship tips nearly vertical; the buildings are right in front of the saucer and you get a pretty solid comparison of height.

EDIT: Where'd that come from, any way?
Old May 19 2013, 11:06 AM   #295
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

^I got it from http://www.ncc1701shipyard.com. I'm guessing he got it from one of the trailers, TV spots or behind-the-scenes thingies on Youtube.
Old May 19 2013, 11:13 AM   #296
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

King Daniel wrote: View Post
^I got it from http://www.ncc1701shipyard.com. I'm guessing he got it from one of the trailers, TV spots or behind-the-scenes thingies on Youtube.
Through the magic of 'alternative means" this is the best capture I could get of the angle in question:

Unfortunately, the top of the frame is blurred out but I recall the TransAmerica building was entirely visible within the frame.

Looks like the saucer is about 1.5 to 2 times the length of the TransAm tower, which is itself 325 meters, or roughly the length of the Prime timeline Enterprise. That puts the saucer anywhere from 488 to 650 meters.

The nuEnterprise is, what, about the length of the Vengance's saucer? Even at 488 meters that's still bigger than the Prime version.
Old May 19 2013, 11:24 AM   #297
throwback
Captain

Idiotic question. Why didn't Khan set the ship to self-destruct, so that when it crashed into the city, the ship would explode and take out the city?
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 03:46 PM   #298
WarpFactorZ
Captain

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
Looks like the saucer is about 1.5 to 2 times the length of the TransAm tower, which is itself 325 meters, or roughly the length of the Prime timeline Enterprise. That puts the saucer anywhere from 488 to 650 meters.

The nuEnterprise is, what, about the length of the Vengance's saucer? Even at 488 meters that's still bigger than the Prime version.
When Khan escapes the destroyed bridge, Sulu comments "He just jumped 30m!" I assume that's the size of the gap in the primary hull. Using the new Hot Wheels images as a comparison, Vengeance's saucer would be about 450m across, and the bow-to-stern would be almost 700m (800m from bow to end of nacelles).
WarpFactorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 04:07 PM   #299
Kpnuts
Commodore

Hope come only the saucer section is visible in the first shot, did the nacelles and secondary hull fall off?
Kpnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 04:20 PM   #300
WarpFactorZ
Captain

Kpnuts wrote: View Post
Hope come only the saucer section is visible in the first shot, did the nacelles and secondary hull fall off?
The saucer broke off the rest of the ship when it hit the shoreline.
WarpFactorZ is offline   Reply With Quote