Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old August 9 2014, 09:10 PM   #1
NeroShrimp
Lieutenant

Send a message via Yahoo to NeroShrimp
J.J. Abrams getting rid of TOS merchandise...

Even though the article is a year old, I just read that Bad Robot had a dispute with Star Trek's owner, CBS in terms of the merchandising situation. Apparently, Abrams original idea was to make Star Trek his own and thus release a whole branch of toys/games/series/video games based on "his" version of Star Trek. CBS, however, is still pushing to release merchandise from the original Star Trek series from the 60s. The dispute at play here is that if both universes of Star Trek are released, there would be a clash between seeing William Shatner's Kirk and Chris Pine's Kirk would make people quite confused. In other words, CBS felt that the universe would be in battle with itself.

Granted, there are several items released that are based from the Abramsverse: Star Trek: D.A.C.; Star Trek: The Video Game; several toys and action figures, however it seems like Abrams wanted the franchise to himself. I'm afraid that I would have to take the side of CBS, because it is important for us to have the Star Trek that we all came to know and to shun it out with the Abrams version, it would be forgotten in a sense. Anyway, here is the article.

www.blastr.com/2013-5-16/apparently-jj-abrams-tried-shut-down-all-star-trek-tos-merch
NeroShrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2014, 10:00 PM   #2
Christopher
Writer

Re: J.J. Abrams getting rid of TOS merchandise...

^I think you mean Abrams thought the universe would be in battle with itself. He was the one who wanted to shut down all non-Abramsverse merchandising. CBS's policy is that it's fine to have both old and new coexisting.

Over at Pocket Books (which is a division of CBS), they were going to start publishing Abramsverse novels coexisting alongside the Prime-continuity novels; the plan was to distinguish them by the cover art, Shatner vs. Pine and so forth. I was one of the four authors hired to write the books. But the books got cancelled (fortunately after we got paid), probably as a result of the merchandising dispute. Another imprint of Simon & Schuster did publish four Starfleet Academy young-adult novels set in the Abramsverse, but apparently those are no longer being done.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2014, 10:40 PM   #3
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

NeroShrimp wrote: View Post
Even though the article is a year old, I just read that Bad Robot had a dispute with Star Trek's owner, CBS in terms of the merchandising situation.
There was a longish thread about it here back in May 2013 and it's come up in a few other threads since. You could probably try doing a forum search for "Abrams" and "merchandising" to see what was said.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2014, 10:57 PM   #4
ToysOnLayAway
Rear Admiral

It makes sense from a marketing stand point. Disney /Lucasfilm is putting out Rebels, so D/LF tells Hasbro to develop and release Rebels stuff. They also tell them that Original Trilogy stuff is okay because helps hype Episode VII, to quietly develop E VII stuff, and to stop developing and releasing Prequel Trilogy and Expanded Universe stuff. It's the same strategy they've employed since the line came back in 1995 and a movie came out in 1999. Whenever it is a movie year, they Hasbro markets only stuff for that movie (barring the odd exclusive.) so as not to compete with itself. Unfortunately Star Trek can't work that way because one company owns TV and another owns movies and both sell merchandising licenses independently and competitively.

So when STID came out, I walked into a toy store and bought a TOS phaser.
Old August 9 2014, 10:57 PM   #5
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

This characterization of the apparent if not conspicuous sparsity of nuTrek merchandise, relative to that of oldTrek and say Star Wars, as having been due to a dispute motivated by perceived brand confusion, has indeed been around for a while. Unfortunately, only anonymous source(s) are ever cited.

That doesn't make for a credible story. And when the OP article says "may have" that also means "may not have":
OP article wrote:
According to TheWrap, the inability to do everything he really wanted with Star Trek may have been one of the biggest factors that drove Abrams over to the Star Wars franchise [...]
That just means that the reason for the apparent or conspicuous sparsity may or may not be due to other reasons too, such as, oh, disagreement over how much licensing fees should be.

For these reasons, the OP article doesn't constitute evidence of anything. Evidently, no one who really knows what's going on will go on the record. It's somewhat aggravating, because it's really just the rumor mill churning, but it won't go away.

Christopher wrote: View Post
He [Abrams] was the one who wanted to shut down all non-Abramsverse merchandising.
Do you have direct knowledge of this or can you cite a named source? That would be news to me, if you could.

But the books got cancelled (fortunately after we got paid), probably as a result of the merchandising dispute.
I take it that you don't really know why the books got canceled.
Old August 9 2014, 11:11 PM   #6
Christopher
Writer

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
He [Abrams] was the one who wanted to shut down all non-Abramsverse merchandising.
Do you have direct knowledge of this or can you cite a named source? That would be news to me, if you could.
No, I was just clarifying what was stated in the article linked above. The original poster said "CBS felt the universe would be in battle with itself," but as I read the article, it was attributing that view to Abrams/Bad Robot. I think the "CBS" there in the first post was simply a typo.

But the books got cancelled (fortunately after we got paid), probably as a result of the merchandising dispute.
I take it that you don't really know why the books got canceled.
I remain unclear on the reasons to this day.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2014, 11:20 PM   #7
Harvey
Admiral

It's pretty telling that this anonymously sourced "news" wasn't reported anywhere else in the entertainment media. Add to that what we now know about Abrams and Star Wars -- that he's only been linked to the one film, not a wider deal with the franchise -- and this story smells like bullshit to me.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2014, 11:55 PM   #8
NeroShrimp
Lieutenant

Send a message via Yahoo to NeroShrimp

^I think you mean Abrams thought the universe would be in battle with itself. He was the one who wanted to shut down all non-Abramsverse merchandising. CBS's policy is that it's fine to have both old and new coexisting.

Over at Pocket Books (which is a division of CBS), they were going to start publishing Abramsverse novels coexisting alongside the Prime-continuity novels; the plan was to distinguish them by the cover art, Shatner vs. Pine and so forth. I was one of the four authors hired to write the books. But the books got cancelled (fortunately after we got paid), probably as a result of the merchandising dispute. Another imprint of Simon & Schuster did publish four Starfleet Academy young-adult novels set in the Abramsverse, but apparently those are no longer being done.
It seems to me that the Abramsverse of Star Trek is going to be focused just on the films and graphic novels. We all remember how bad the 2013 videogame was...It really pains me to consider selling it.
NeroShrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2014, 12:12 AM   #9
Ithekro
Fleet Captain

There are ships made by Hotwheels for the new stuff.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2014, 01:18 AM   #10
Jeyl
Commodore

Harvey wrote: View Post
It's pretty telling that this anonymously sourced "news" wasn't reported anywhere else in the entertainment media. Add to that what we now know about Abrams and Star Wars -- that he's only been linked to the one film, not a wider deal with the franchise -- and this story smells like bullshit to me.
While this certainly may be the case, it's not completely improbable. I certainly see areas where CBS can give him a hard time in areas that CBS reign over. Star Trek on Television is theirs, and the last thing they would want is to have their intellectual property dictated by a different studio.

It certainly would make sense why he jumped ship when offered the chance for Star Wars. With that franchise, everything that can be newly produced is all under one roof.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2014, 01:37 AM   #11
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

Jeyl wrote: View Post
jumped ship
Jumped ship?!? Seriously??? That makes it sound like he defected!
Old August 10 2014, 01:51 AM   #12
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Fans are so territorial.
Old August 10 2014, 03:34 AM   #13
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

It certainly would make sense why he jumped ship when offered the chance for Star Wars.
How exactly has Abrams 'jumped ship'? He's still producing Trek 3. His fingerprints will be all over it.
Old August 10 2014, 03:49 AM   #14
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

Due to confidentiality agreements being so popular in Hollywood, I suspect even if Christopher did know specifics, he would neither be able to confirm nor deny.
Old August 10 2014, 04:00 AM   #15
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
jumped ship
Jumped ship?!? Seriously??? That makes it sound like he defected!
That only works, though, if one ignores the fact that Abrams is still onboard as producer - which, strangely enough, is the job he was contracted with Paramount to do in the first place.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote