RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,744
Posts: 5,215,821
Members: 24,215
Currently online: 794
Newest member: rpoe0728

TrekToday headlines

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grading
Excellent 16 50.00%
Above average 16 50.00%
Average 0 0%
Below average 0 0%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 28 2013, 06:11 PM   #1
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral
 
Out Of My Vulcan Mind's Avatar
 
Location: Wherever you go, there you are.
Game of Thrones 3.5 - "Kissed by Fire" - Rate and discuss

Rate and discuss (with spoilers for the episode, but not for forthcoming episodes) "Kissed by Fire", airing on the 28th April on HBO and on the 29th April on Sky Atlantic.

__________________
"I'll see you in another life, brother."
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 06:06 AM   #2
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral
 
Evil Twin's Avatar
 
Re: Game of Thrones 3.5 - "Kissed by Fire" - Rate and discuss

Above average. Definitely a slower-paced episode compared to last week with lots of table setting, but I generally prefer that to when they try to cram too much into episodes and just bounce from scene to scene.

Seems a bit foolish that the show waited this long to introduce Selyse and Shireen Baratheon. Aside a minor mention in dialogue last season, it's like they didn't even exist before now. And geeze, they went and made Selyse even more of a nutjob than Lysa Arryn.

The Hound/Berric duel was pretty cool. Wasn't expecting it to be the first scene in the episode, but it left room for some nice quieter scenes with Arya later on.

Great monologue by Jaime in the tub. That was another bit I was looking forward to. Here's hoping he finally gets cleaned up and loses the beard next week.

Nice little nod to Patchface in the credits, though I doubt we ever see the actual character in the show, as we've never seen Moon Boy or Butterbumps either, but we did briefly see Ser Dontos jester-ing during the Battle of the Blackwater last season!
__________________
My DVD Collection
Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 09:37 AM   #3
Hyperspace05
Commodore
 
Hyperspace05's Avatar
 
Re: Game of Thrones 3.5 - "Kissed by Fire" - Rate and discuss

I gave this episode an excellent grade.

Evil Twin wrote: View Post
Seems a bit foolish that the show waited this long to introduce Selyse and Shireen Baratheon. Aside a minor mention in dialogue last season, it's like they didn't even exist before now. And geeze, they went and made Selyse even more of a nutjob than Lysa Arryn.
This is basic character economics 101. You don't introduce characters until you need them. This show already has more recurring characters (50+) than several other shows combined.

I thought the Dragonstone scenes were the highlight of the episode. Loved the fetus in the jar scene. So much of their backstory laid out brilliantly in just one scene. Magnificent writing.

The Beric/Hound fight was also more epic than it had any right to be. The same goes for the follow up scenes with Arya.
Hyperspace05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 01:17 PM   #4
Icemizer
Fleet Captain
 
Icemizer's Avatar
 
Re: Game of Thrones 3.5 - "Kissed by Fire" - Rate and discuss

Another excellent episode for me. The fight with the Hound was perfect especially with his fear of fire. Yet he forged on and won the battle, great job with the choreography here.
I felt the scene between Tyrion and Lady Tyrell while good really didnt add anything to the show. It may have played better as a small council meeting where they discuss how reliant the kingdom currently is on the Tyrells for their continued existance. Fear could have played across the faces on the council members.
Arya was great here and I love when she recites the names of those she wants to have her revenge upon.
Tywin is one cold bastard and I wonder if he was this way before his wife died. Of all the characters I would like to see before the series started he would be the one.
I really hope Baelish dies horribly(yes I have read the books).
All the nudity on this show and no frontal for Brienne? I felt cheated.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 02:55 PM   #5
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral
 
Evil Twin's Avatar
 
Re: Game of Thrones 3.5 - "Kissed by Fire" - Rate and discuss

One thing occurred to me, in episode 3 Robb refers to Willem and Martyn (the two slain boys) as Tywin's "father's brother's great grandsons." In the book, they're the younger sons of Tywin's brother Kevan (and the younger brothers of Lancel) thereby making them Tywin's direct nephews. Both Kevan and Lancel are in the show, so why change this? I suppose they wanted to make Edmure's "victory" sound even more inconsequential, but it bugs me when the show messes around with the established lineage.
__________________
My DVD Collection
Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 03:24 PM   #6
Forbin
Admiral
 
Forbin's Avatar
 
Location: I said out, dammit!
Re: Game of Thrones 3.5 - "Kissed by Fire" - Rate and discuss

Evil Twin wrote: View Post
Above average. Definitely a slower-paced episode compared to last week with lots of table setting, but I generally prefer that to when they try to cram too much into episodes and just bounce from scene to scene.

Seems a bit foolish that the show waited this long to introduce Selyse and Shireen Baratheon. Aside a minor mention in dialogue last season, it's like they didn't even exist before now. And geeze, they went and made Selyse even more of a nutjob than Lysa Arryn.

The Hound/Berric duel was pretty cool. Wasn't expecting it to be the first scene in the episode, but it left room for some nice quieter scenes with Arya later on.

Great monologue by Jaime in the tub. That was another bit I was looking forward to. Here's hoping he finally gets cleaned up and loses the beard next week.

Nice little nod to Patchface in the credits, though I doubt we ever see the actual character in the show, as we've never seen Moon Boy or Butterbumps either, but we did briefly see Ser Dontos jester-ing during the Battle of the Blackwater last season!
As someone who hasn't read the books, all these funky names are making me bounce between "Which one was that?" and hysterical laughter.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 03:27 PM   #7
Forbin
Admiral
 
Forbin's Avatar
 
Location: I said out, dammit!
Re: Game of Thrones 3.5 - "Kissed by Fire" - Rate and discuss

Evil Twin wrote: View Post
One thing occurred to me, in episode 3 Robb refers to Willem and Martyn (the two slain boys) as Tywin's "father's brother's great grandsons." In the book, they're the younger sons of Tywin's brother Kevan (and the younger brothers of Lancel) thereby making them Tywin's direct nephews. Both Kevan and Lancel are in the show, so why change this? I suppose they wanted to make Edmure's "victory" sound even more inconsequential, but it bugs me when the show messes around with the established lineage.
Another reason I'm very happy I'm seeing this without having the books in my head. It's all so new and fresh and clean.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 03:35 PM   #8
Venardhi
Vice Admiral
 
Venardhi's Avatar
 
Location: Constant transit
Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: Game of Thrones 3.5 - "Kissed by Fire" - Rate and discuss

Forbin wrote: View Post
As someone who hasn't read the books, all these funky names are making me bounce between "Which one was that?" and hysterical laughter.
The names are pretty tame by Fantasy and Sci-Fi standards. Certainly no worse than DS9 or Star Wars. Hell, half the cast is named stuff like Jon, Robert, Brandon, Jaime, etc.
__________________
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 10:18 PM   #9
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Game of Thrones 3.5 - "Kissed by Fire" - Rate and discuss

I loved how Roose Bolton totally trolled Jaime about Cersei's fate. Who knew he had a sense of humor?
Ayelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 10:39 PM   #10
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral
 
Evil Twin's Avatar
 
Re: Game of Thrones 3.5 - "Kissed by Fire" - Rate and discuss

Forbin wrote: View Post
As someone who hasn't read the books, all these funky names are making me bounce between "Which one was that?" and hysterical laughter.
Heh, Patchface, Moon Boy and Butterbumps are all jesters so of course they have silly names.

Well, then I suppose you've got Hot Pie, who isn't one.

But yeah, as Venardhi said, the names in ASoIaF are pretty low key as far as fantasy names go. A lot of them are just one letter tweaks of real world ones. One of the deciding factors when deciding whether I want to read a fantasy series is how distractingly ridiculous/complicated the character names are. The simpler, the better in my book.
__________________
My DVD Collection
Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 02:32 AM   #11
CaptainCanada
Admiral
 
CaptainCanada's Avatar
 
Location: Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Re: Game of Thrones 3.5 - "Kissed by Fire" - Rate and discuss

Evil Twin wrote: View Post
One thing occurred to me, in episode 3 Robb refers to Willem and Martyn (the two slain boys) as Tywin's "father's brother's great grandsons." In the book, they're the younger sons of Tywin's brother Kevan (and the younger brothers of Lancel) thereby making them Tywin's direct nephews. Both Kevan and Lancel are in the show, so why change this? I suppose they wanted to make Edmure's "victory" sound even more inconsequential, but it bugs me when the show messes around with the established lineage.
They were actually referred to as Tywin's nephews in this episode, suggesting Robb's earlier remarks were meant to be flippant.
__________________
"I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are!"

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 12:20 PM   #12
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS
 
Emh's Avatar
 
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh
Re: Game of Thrones 3.5 - "Kissed by Fire" - Rate and discuss

Great quiet episode (epic opening swordplay aside) with lots of scheming. Lord Tywin trumped everyone with the final scene, however, going from setting up Tyrion to setting up Cersei without missing a beat. Brilliant!

Icemizer wrote: View Post
All the nudity on this show and no frontal for Brienne? I felt cheated.
True, but we did get a lovely frontal of Ygritte.
__________________
"Eccleston was a tiger and Tennant was, well, Tigger. Smith [is] an uncoordinated housecat who pretends that he meant to do that after falling off a piece of furniture." - Lynne M. Thomas

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 01:44 PM   #13
Forbin
Admiral
 
Forbin's Avatar
 
Location: I said out, dammit!
Re: Game of Thrones 3.5 - "Kissed by Fire" - Rate and discuss

Which reminds me - cunnilingus with a woman who may never have had a bath in her life.

Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 02:33 PM   #14
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef
 
Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: Right behind you!
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Game of Thrones 3.5 - "Kissed by Fire" - Rate and discuss

Forbin wrote: View Post
Which reminds me - cunnilingus with a woman who may never have had a bath in her life.

The guys in this show seem to get plenty of (at least implied) oral action, and most of them don't appear to be bathing regularly, either.
__________________
"Holy shit! It's Beef Supreme!"
The Journeyman - Buy it now! Maybe?
My world simulation project!
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 02:43 PM   #15
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral
 
137th Gebirg's Avatar
 
Location: Who is John Galt?
Re: Game of Thrones 3.5 - "Kissed by Fire" - Rate and discuss

Forbin wrote: View Post
Which reminds me - cunnilingus with a woman who may never have had a bath in her life.

My wife said the same thing - "I'm sure she's very 'fresh' down there". And we chuckled how they took a dip in the water after they did their business.
__________________
Gebirgswick - Ind, Tra, Sec & Env.
137th Gebirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.