Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old April 28 2013, 04:41 AM   #1
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

George and Gracie

So after all the work Kirk & Co did in TVH to bring humpbacks into the future to save Earth, how long did they last after that?

I mean only one breeding pair wouldn't be enough to start a whole species from without massive inbreeding and all the problems what causes. Or did the Federation decide to send more ships back in time to restore the species to avoid another probe attack?
Old April 28 2013, 04:43 AM   #2
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

Re: George and Gracie

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
So after all the work Kirk & Co did in TVH to bring humpbacks into the future to save Earth, how long did they last after that?

I mean only one breeding pair wouldn't be enough to start a whole species from without massive inbreeding and all the problems what causes. Or did the Federation decide to send more ships back in time to restore the species to avoid another probe attack?
Between cloning and advanced gene manipulation tech, I would think they could figure something out.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 04:47 AM   #3
Third Nacelle
Captain

It's possible that before humpbacks went extinct, embryos were frozen and they just need a female to carry them. I like to think that they repopulated the species somehow.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 08:59 AM   #4
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

Maybe a Jurassic Park kind of thing. Find Blue Whale DNA from bones in museums and clone away.
Imogene, get serious! Who do you think you're talking to?! I've known you for 27 years, and all I can say is, if God was giving out sexually transmitted diseases to people as a punishment for sinning, then you would be at the free clinic all the time! And so would the rest of us!
--Julia Sugarbaker
Vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 12:20 PM   #5
Elvira
Vice Admiral

Here in the Puget Sound area, we have endangered orcas (southern resident pods J, K and L), it has been observed that orcas avoid mating with siblings or offspring. With cousins is possible, but they usually mate outside the extended family pod.

Orcas and humpbacks aren't the same of course, but whales are intelligent beings and the expectation that they will simply reproduce with their own children, and between brothers and sisters, is unreasonable.

Left to their own devices, the offspring of George and Gracie would live out their lives and die without producing children.

I would hope that forcing the small family to have offspring with each other (artificial insemination or normal sex) would be against future law.

If they had frozen genetic material/the means to clone why wouldn't the people of Earth future have already repopulated the oceans?

Sadly, within approximately a century of George of Gracie coming to the future, the oceans will be empty of whales again.

Last edited by Elvira; April 28 2013 at 12:31 PM.
Elvira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 03:44 PM   #6
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

T'Girl wrote: View Post

If they had frozen genetic material/the means to clone why wouldn't the people of Earth future have already repopulated the oceans?

Dumb Federation ethics. "Who are we...blah blah blah. We haven't had whales for 200 years, we can't know the impact..blah blah blah"
Old April 28 2013, 05:32 PM   #7
Elvira
Vice Admiral

Spock was able to mindmeld with Gracie. Given the existence of the universal translator, if the humpback whales were to prosper and multiple in Earth's oceans, by the 24th century would a humpback whale be able to become Earth's representative to the Federation Council?

Obviously not homo sapiens, however they are indigenous to this planet. You should not have to be humanoid to be on the Council, should you?

Old April 28 2013, 05:35 PM   #8
R. Star
Rear Admiral

If that whale somehow manages to run and campaign for the Council.... why not? Don't see it happening though.
Old April 28 2013, 06:24 PM   #9
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile

T'Girl wrote: View Post

Its been ages since I read it, but I seem to recall Vonda McIntyre's TVH novelization addressed this issue. They did have the genetic material/means to clones whales. However, since no living humpback existed there would be no adults to raise the young clones. George & Gracie would become foster-parents to the new population of whales, raising them and teaching them.

I'm not sure that is a 100% solid explanation, but it made sense when I read it as a kid.
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
EliyahuQeoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 06:31 PM   #10
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I guess if you accept the premise of whales being sentient creatures, that if you clone one, that would be akin to placing a human kid to grow up in the wild. Sure he can function and survive, but you wouldn't be able to communicate with him when he's 25.
Old April 28 2013, 06:45 PM   #11
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

When humpback whales are your only line of defense against a completely mysterious super-race hell bent on destroying your civilization, you better believe that George and Gracie are going to get cloned time and time again.
Old April 29 2013, 04:05 AM   #12
xvicente
Commander

clone
clone
clone
clone
A big problem with that is where to find whale-sized equivalents of uteruses to gestate the clones.

I think Kirk probably never really intended to "repopulate the species". He needed the whales only tell the probe to go f itself.
xvicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 04:41 AM   #13
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

Nah, the message was "Nothing to see here, move along."
Old April 29 2013, 06:05 AM   #14
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Nah, the message was "Nothing to see here, move along."
"Don't Panic"
Old April 29 2013, 02:47 PM   #15
Timo
Admiral

A big problem with that is where to find whale-sized equivalents of uteruses to gestate the clones.
Not a problem. As seen in "A Man Alone", they can do it from start to finish in simple vats, at least in the 24th century.

They did have the genetic material/means to clones whales. However, since no living humpback existed there would be no adults to raise the young clones.
We don't even need that much rationalization here. Suffice to assume they have the material, but they just plain don't have any motivation to make use of it - not until it turns out that Earth needs whales in the next fifteen minutes or everybody will die, which isn't exactly the best motivation for starting cloning.

Why return whales to the oceans? Just to prove that mankind has cleaned up its act (and said oceans)? The whales themselves won't care. The oceans won't care. Heck, all sorts of krill and shrimp will be elated with the whales gone. AFAWK, they haven't restored the buffalo, either, and those never really went totally extinct.

Besides, Earth fears new Khans so intensely that it has banned many sorts of helpful gene therapies. Hobby cloning is probably an offense punishable by six months in therapy.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote