RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 147,073
Members: 26,069
Currently online: 595
Newest member: El Visitor

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old August 10 2013, 08:31 PM   #256
Jonas Grumby
Vice Admiral

Re: So I'm Watching "Chains of Command"

R. Star wrote: View Post
Basically just cements Riker's behavior of being a jerk to everyone outside the command clique that he'd not actively trying to seduce.
I was just wondering how a jerk like Riker ever made it into what is supposedly the most sought after first officer position in the fleet, and I think you may have just given me the answer. Riker knows how to kiss up to the right people!

There were scenes in TNG (especially in the early seasons) where Riker was so far up Picard's fundament that all you could see were the soles of his feet.* Maybe he did the same with Captain DeSoto and others.

*Line stolen from John Gielgud in a movie the name of which escapes me at the moment.

Last edited by Jonas Grumby; August 11 2013 at 01:26 AM.
Jonas Grumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 10:10 PM   #257
Mojochi
Commodore

^I'm sure there's truth to what Pressman said too, about him "Making" Riker's career. Obviously he regrets the Pegasus, but I bet Pressman was thrilled to give a weighty reference to further Riker's career. It wouldn't surprise me if Pressman was among those "Glowing Recommendations" that Picard mentions being in Riker's record when he got the ENT-D posting.

I'm sure Riker knew exactly how to get mileage out of his high ranking connections. It sounds as if he warped right into the XO gig on the Hood very soon after his promotion to LT. Cmdr. following the Potemkin's Nervala IV mission

He went from Ensign to Commander in like 6 or 7 years, & they'd already offered him command of the Drake when he joined Enterprise. He feasibly could have gone from ensign to captain in less than a decade. There is no doubt he was a "shining star", & saving the Pegasus captain had to have played a role in that

(Then he spent 15 years widening his ass)
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 10:29 PM   #258
R. Star
Rear Admiral

When he actively condemned Lavelle as a brownnose when the ensign tried sucking up to him a bit just so he'd stop being so much of an ass. Hypocrite.
Old August 10 2013, 10:34 PM   #259
Mojochi
Commodore

^Oh, god yes. He took up poker to hobnob with the Potemkin senior staff, for god sake. Lavelle just wanted to chat over a drink in 10-Foward, so the guy would stop being a dick to him

That episode taught me one thing for sure. I'd take Worf as my friend over Riker any day of the week & twice on sundays
Old August 11 2013, 01:04 AM   #260
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

View MikeH92467's Twitter Profile

It is interesting how the Riker character evolved, or perhaps more accurately, devolved. He was originally billed as the Kirk-style action hero, with Picard as the more remote figure head captain. Riker had a spotless resume and the strength of character to play the role that Picard wanted: tough when Picard needed someone to be his hatchet man and someone to soften the edges in his dealings with children. Riker peaked in BoBW, but after that, for the writers where could they take him? They had to start coming up with excuses for his reluctance to take the center seat, with Chain of Command making him look like an immature crybaby and Pegasus making him look like a self-serving opportunist.
Really, it would have been more interesting if Picard had chosen him as XO knowing full well about all of the baggage and believing in him despite the Pegasus baggage. A career arc that went from having one foot en route to an irrelevant backwater or small-ship posting and one foot on a banana peel to have Picard giving him a chance at rescuing his career, despite doubts and opposition from HQ might have been a more interesting career arc than the one we saw.
MikeH92467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 01:52 AM   #261
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Mojochi wrote: View Post
If there is anything to say it's out of character for him, it's certainly not as out of character as "Movie Action Hero Picard" was relative to conservative tv series Picard
Wasn't Picard pretty action heroish in Starship Mine?
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 02:07 AM   #262
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

He was action heroish as a young man too. He didn't get that artificial heart from an all bacon diet after all.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 03:14 AM   #263
Mojochi
Commodore

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Mojochi wrote: View Post
If there is anything to say it's out of character for him, it's certainly not as out of character as "Movie Action Hero Picard" was relative to conservative tv series Picard
Wasn't Picard pretty action heroish in Starship Mine?
It was an action episode, yes, & he was the protagonist, yes, but he prevailed primarily through intelligence, & not jumping dune buggies off of cliffs

Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but perhaps they should have watched that episode & maybe Captain's Holiday to understand how to cast Picard as a protagonist in an action for the films
Old August 11 2013, 04:56 AM   #264
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

USS Firefly wrote: View Post
Well Picard still lives after he called Worf a coward.
Yes, but if he were any other man....
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 05:18 AM   #265
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
Sisko intimidates him.
Old August 11 2013, 05:52 AM   #266
Makarov
Captain

To me it makes sense to have Picard in action-hero mode in First Contact, because the borg are actively attacking the enterprise and humanity. That's a very different scenario than "I, Borg", so you get a very different reaction.
Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 07:48 PM   #267
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Makarov wrote: View Post
To me it makes sense to have Picard in action-hero mode in First Contact, because the borg are actively attacking the enterprise and humanity. That's a very different scenario than "I, Borg", so you get a very different reaction.
Then how do you explain away him being completely composed in Decent. In part 1 before they knew it was Lore of Borg?
Old August 11 2013, 10:22 PM   #268
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

R. Star wrote: View Post
Silvercrest wrote: View Post
Sisko intimidates him.
I'm trying to envision that line rewritten. "If you were any other man I would kill you where you stand! Except Captain Sisko. He is... unique. Any other man but him! And obviously Alexander. And of course I have far too much respect for General Martok. Any other man but those! Now, as for women...."
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 01:04 AM   #269
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

For all Riker's bitching he should be thankful he didn't get stuck with this Jellico!

Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 02:28 AM   #270
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Haha, that one was great.