RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,708
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 472
Newest member: kamkaran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grade "Journey To The Centre Of The TARDIS"
Geronimo! 39 33.05%
Good 46 38.98%
Average 24 20.34%
Not worth salvaging 7 5.93%
This episode should have stayed in the center of the TARDIS 2 1.69%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 27 2013, 07:58 PM   #16
Wereghost
Commodore

Re: 7X10 Journey To The Centre Of The TARDIS(Grading/Discussion)(SPOIL

Three out of five. Didn't really live up to its potential, and the guest actors couldn't act their ways out of a real police box. The setup seems very contrived (salvage ship beats up star-powered time/space machine). Might have worked if the TARDIS had set the whole thing up to get Clara into that room with the book, but the reset button would seem to have negated that (although it occurs to me that the salvage crew seemed to have an inkling of memory of events that were deleted and wouldn't have happened yet anyway, so maybe Clara the time-traveller remembers the incident with the book in some way).

I would have liked an old console room or two. Surely the console replica from An Adventure In Space And Time could have been utilised, even if against a CGI background. It would have made more sense than that "echo room" stuff.

Anyway, nice to see the Eye Of Harmony referenced and explained a bit. (As suspected, the term appears to be a religious or quasi-religious name for a particular state of a former star rather than a unique object, though I had imagined that the term referred to a singularity. Still, a star on the knife-edge of collapse is a pretty good solution.)

Can we take from this that the Doctor's original name is relatively short and not absurd? That was the impression that I got. Clara's reading of the book immediately put me in mind of a scene from the very first episode, where Susan opens a book that she's been given/lent and almost instantly notices a factual error. Maybe a homage, maybe a hint, maybe nothing at all. Also, perhaps I missed something, but I'm wondering how she knew that the passage must specifically refer to the Doctor. In any case, the fact that there was a reference to the Doctor's original name suggests that the title of the season finale refers to exactly that.
Old April 27 2013, 08:31 PM   #17
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

I thought that was fairly poor - the three brothers I thought were from a planet where people are made of wood, I expected the Doctor to spray them with pledge.

Last edited by JoeZhang; April 27 2013 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Typo
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 08:39 PM   #18
Avon
Fleet Captain

it was plowing along in an ok fashion, not as good as the last two, and then a voyager-worthy reset button made the entire episode completely pointless.

and now it looks like next week we get more of the victorian freakshow scooby gang headed by the lizard that treats her wife as a slave. sigh.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 09:32 PM   #19
Konata Izumi
Commander

Reset made the episode better. Nihilistic horror.

Possibly the best post-2005 episode after The Bells of Saint John.

Catchy theme
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 09:40 PM   #20
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

junxon wrote:
voyager-worthy reset button
I wouldn't have minded but the interaction between The Doctor and Clara was really moving forwards. Felt as pointless as a certain 2009 continuity reset.

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
I thought that was fairly poor - the three brothers I thought were made from a planet where people are made of wood

Wereghost wrote:
I would have liked an old console room or two
Same. Gutted we missed out again. Perhaps they're saving 'em for the 50th?
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 09:58 PM   #21
Konata Izumi
Commander

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I wouldn't have minded but the interaction between The Doctor and Clara was really moving forwards.
A bit of a shame. She lost her last bit of wilful ignorance. Would have made lots of viewers who relate to Clara uneasy.
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 10:05 PM   #22
StCoop
Commodore

Funny how Moffat kept talking about how "bad" Invasion Of Time was when hyping this episode and all we get is one corridor shot over and over again and a couple of dull rooms.

Plus who wrote the Time War book and why is it in English (the TARDIS doesn't translate Gallifreyan)?

And why not stick some props that relate back more than a couple of years in there? At one point Clara picks up an umbrella. Why not use a multi-coloured one or one with a Question Mark handle?

And on a different note is anyone else fed up that the Doctor and Clara converse almost completely in One-Liners?

Last edited by StCoop; April 27 2013 at 10:15 PM.
StCoop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 10:20 PM   #23
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Love Clara, less chavy than the previous era's companions and less in awe of The Doctor than Amy was. She has been especially good in Cold War and Hide.
Old April 27 2013, 10:22 PM   #24
StCoop
Commodore

Love Clara, less chavy than the previous era's companions and less in awe of The Doctor than Amy was.
I suspect you don't actually know what that word means.
Old April 27 2013, 10:23 PM   #25
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Well, I doubt it's in the Oxford English Dictionary but I'd class Rose and Donna as chavy.
Old April 27 2013, 10:24 PM   #26
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile

Average, maybe I was expecting too much.

I liked they had the cheek to have an actual reset button, we saw the swimming pool finally and I liked the library.

The zombies were rubbish though and the salvage team were poor.
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 10:26 PM   #27
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile

Well, I doubt it's in the Oxford English Dictionary but I'd class Rose and Donna as chavy.
Doesn't it mean council house and a van?
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 10:30 PM   #28
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Visually, this series has been pretty cracking. That dolly(?) shot around the console in the beginning was really nice and I think this looked great. I loved that the TARDIS had a quarry in it.

The twist with the "android" was bizarre, would anyone actually do that?

I'm a little torn between whether "Fire Woman" was too clever for its own good or not.

Yeah, (semi-?)reset buttons are really never very welcome but I thought it was an OK romp. I might be being too generous as I've been trying to tamper my expectations as I think I've been too critical lately of what is ultimately "just a show". I could've sworn at a couple points there was either too many people or someone was missing, something to watch for in another viewing I suppose.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 10:30 PM   #29
StCoop
Commodore

Rose is Working Class.

Donna is lower Middle-Class.

Both of them have jobs, don't sponge benefits off the State, spend their days getting drunk or spitting out unplanned babies. So in what way are they "Chavy"? It can't be just because they're unafraid to speak up for themselves rather know knowing their place, is it?
Old April 27 2013, 10:30 PM   #30
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

StCoop wrote: View Post
Both of them have jobs, don't sponge benefits off the State, spend their days getting drunk or spitting out unplanned babies. So in what way are they "Chavy"?
Both the production team and Billie Piper refer to Rose as a chav. I'm not sure why this is even being debated.

I'm just glad the show moved away from that trend. Especially in Series 4, I think the show glorified the stupidity of the companion too much. Doctor Who has always been a show about fighting ignorance, not worshipping it.