RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,679
Members: 24,827
Currently online: 474
Newest member: Sb118_James

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old February 1 2013, 05:54 AM   #1
AlphaMan
Rear Admiral

Is the Playstation 4 About to be announced??

http://youtu.be/d-3GMHIgR-U

Sweet!!
AlphaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 07:15 AM   #2
SG-17
Commodore

Re: Is the Playstation 4 About to be announced??

Well this is Meeting 2013.

Meeting 2011 announced the PS Vita and Meeting 2005 announced the PS3.

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 11:42 AM   #3
MacLeod
Admiral

Well we all know the PS4 and new XBox are coming sometime. The only question is the date.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 11:58 AM   #4
Aragorn
Admiral

They're gonna introduce the controller-less Move 2.

Or the return of the six-axis.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 03:13 PM   #5
Jax
Admiral

I have little doubt that Sony will show off the PS4 and this means Microsoft will be playing catch up but then again with how Sony advertised PSVita and priced it they could well screw up the launch of the PS4.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 04:39 PM   #6
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Yup, it seems about that time. Let's hope Sony learned their painful, multi-billion dollar lesson from the PS3 and refrains from releasing yet another overpriced supercomputer. Of course, given the Vita, that seems unlikely.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 05:45 PM   #7
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Yup, it seems about that time. Let's hope Sony learned their painful, multi-billion dollar lesson from the PS3 and refrains from releasing yet another overpriced supercomputer. Of course, given the Vita, that seems unlikely.
I've come to appreciate the PS3 with time. Blu-Ray, laptop HD upgrades, bluetooth, free internet services, etc. I bet over time people paid as much for that 360 as the PS3 though I understand the initial sticker shock. Mind you I bought a slim so my perspective probably isn't the same as those first buyers.

Timing is everything so it will be interesting to see. Sega made a big mistake dropping the Saturn early and then the really nice Dreamcast came out before the PS2 and X-Box. They need to be careful not to have a 360 successor release later with more horsepower and bury their lead.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 06:07 PM   #8
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Kelthaz wrote: View Post
I've come to appreciate the PS3 with time. Blu-Ray, laptop HD upgrades, bluetooth, free internet services, etc. I bet over time people paid as much for that 360 as the PS3 though I understand the initial sticker shock. Mind you I bought a slim so my perspective probably isn't the same as those first buyers.

Timing is everything so it will be interesting to see. Sega made a big mistake dropping the Saturn early and then the really nice Dreamcast came out before the PS2 and X-Box. They need to be careful not to have a 360 successor release later with more horsepower and bury their lead.
The PS3's steep price was driven largely by two things: its exotic, proprietary architecture, and Sony's insistence on using it as a Trojan Horse for the Blu-ray standard. If they learned anything at all, the next system should use either a more standard architecture, or a minor iteration of the Cell architecture, and keep the BR drive (maybe go to a higher-capacity BR, if such is available.) That should help keep costs down and make the system easier to develop for--two problems that hobbled the PS3's launch.
Old February 1 2013, 06:22 PM   #9
Agenda
Fleet Captain

Any news/ideas on ps4 vs. xbox720 specs?
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 06:29 PM   #10
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Beyond Antares wrote: View Post
Any news/ideas on ps4 vs. xbox720 specs?
Given that neither has been announced (as far as I know), any specification would be pure speculation.
Old February 1 2013, 06:51 PM   #11
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

^^ true, but there is speculation if any are interested

http://www.gamespot.com/features/wha...m-pcs-6402954/
Old February 1 2013, 07:15 PM   #12
billcosby
Commodore

If either the new Xbox or PS4 require online connections there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that I will ever buy them, I don't care how incredible the software is, nothing doin' PERIOD.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 07:23 PM   #13
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

billcosby wrote: View Post
If either the new Xbox or PS4 require online connections there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that I will ever buy them, I don't care how incredible the software is, nothing doin' PERIOD.
The consoles may not "require" it, but they may be practically useless without it. Sony and Microsoft do not care even a little that some people will forego the console on that basis. It's not enough people to matter.
Old February 1 2013, 07:49 PM   #14
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

It will be interesting to see what they pull out because I think it will be a nice evolution but maybe not the revolution seen from going to early 3D with PSX, mature 3D with the PS2/XBox, HD visuals/strong online with the 360/PS3. I'm not sure these new systems will be game changers so much as a necessary upgrade.
Old February 1 2013, 07:53 PM   #15
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

I think it's a virtual guarantee that this generation won't be a huge leap in terms of console specs. What you may see is more innovation with peripherals, much like Nintendo did with the Wii U (e.g. the touchscreen controller), and more in the way of online/social media integration.