RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,244
Posts: 5,348,348
Members: 24,611
Currently online: 678
Newest member: Tiberius Kirk

TrekToday headlines

Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 28 2013, 02:11 PM   #1306
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
And The Wrath of Khan and The Search for Spock (both in the top 10 for the year domestically in their respective years of release).
I didn't include them because I figured someone would say that ST II's numbers only look so good because the budget was so small, and lots of TMP stock footage was used. And ST III didn't get a release throughout much of Europe, which is why ST IV was promoted in many places as "THE VOYAGE HOME: Star Trek IV".
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 02:19 PM   #1307
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

I've seen it three times - I may go once more.

I didn't see First Contact until the second week, and I don't remember when I saw Insurrection. Life stuff.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 02:21 PM   #1308
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: In the 23rd Century...
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

I never did make it to the theater for Insurrection.
__________________
"I had no idea you were so... formidable. " - Anan 7 to James T. Kirk, A Taste of Armageddon
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 02:23 PM   #1309
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral
 
Out Of My Vulcan Mind's Avatar
 
Location: Wherever you go, there you are.
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
I didn't include them because I figured someone would say that ST II's numbers only look so good because the budget was so small, and lots of TMP stock footage was used. And ST III didn't get a release throughout much of Europe, which is why ST IV was promoted in many places as "THE VOYAGE HOME: Star Trek IV".
They didn't do much business internationally, but TWOK and TSFS were both home run hits domestically. Taking inflation into account and how they performed relative to other films in their respective years they were both bigger domestic hits than FC.
__________________
"I'll see you in another life, brother."
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 02:30 PM   #1310
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral
 
DarthTom's Avatar
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

STID had a 46% decline this past weekend with both Fast and Furious and Hangover overtaking the film.

Memorial Weekend Box office results

Total box office office is $146 million on a budget of $190. I hope the film at this piont breaks even.

It's worth noting that Iron Man 3 had a budget of only $10 million more, or $200 million but has grossed $300 million at this point.

Does anyone know what made STID so expensive to make in comparison with Iron Man who had a huge Hollywood star, Robert Downey Jr?
DarthTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 02:35 PM   #1311
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

BillJ wrote: View Post
I never did make it to the theater for Insurrection.
Lucky you.
__________________
=)
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 02:44 PM   #1312
crucifixion
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

DarthTom wrote: View Post
STID had a 46% decline this past weekend with both Fast and Furious and Hangover overtaking the film.

Memorial Weekend Box office results

Total box office office is $146 million on a budget of $190. I hope the film at this piont breaks even.

It's worth noting that Iron Man 3 had a budget of only $10 million more, or $200 million but has grossed $300 million at this point.

Does anyone know what made STID so expensive to make in comparison with Iron Man who had a huge Hollywood star, Robert Downey Jr?
I would assume its because they had him locked up to a set number of movies and if you remember when he was cast for im1 he was a down on his luck actor who was about to fall off the map due to personal problems so he probably signed like a 5 movie deal well below market value for a A list actor. That's why it does so well. Put him or another high profile actor as kirk and it would be different. And iron man without him would be no bigger than capt america. Instead iron man has leaped all these other heroes and is like batman or Superman
crucifixion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 02:46 PM   #1313
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Good to see Star Trek continuing to do well.

Onward to Star Trek 3.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 02:51 PM   #1314
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral
 
DarthTom's Avatar
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
Good to see Star Trek continuing to do well.

Onward to Star Trek 3.
You think dropping to number 3 in its week # 2 release with a 46% decline - well?

Its an impression and anecdotal on my part part, but STID doesn't seem to have the same, 'word of mouth,' success the last film did.

No doubt Dennis they will make #3, but you have to wonder if Paramount will sink as much money into the project next go around based on these early results?
DarthTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 02:54 PM   #1315
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral
 
Out Of My Vulcan Mind's Avatar
 
Location: Wherever you go, there you are.
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

DarthTom wrote: View Post
You think dropping to number 3 in its week # 2 release with a 46% decline - well?
That was a good hold for a second weekend with so much competition.

crucifixion wrote: View Post
I would assume its because they had him locked up to a set number of movies and if you remember when he was cast for im1 he was a down on his luck actor who was about to fall off the map due to personal problems so he probably signed like a 5 movie deal well below market value for a A list actor. That's why it does so well. Put him or another high profile actor as kirk and it would be different. And iron man without him would be no bigger than capt america. Instead iron man has leaped all these other heroes and is like batman or Superman
RDJ worked for very little on the first Iron Man by the standards of movie star salaries (he wasn't even the highest paid actor in the cast), but his deals for playing Iron Man, at least since The Avengers, give him significant points of the gross. He made over $50 million for The Avengers (it's expected to end up at around $70 million) and he'll make almost as much for Iron Man 3. Those payments come after release and aren't included in the reported production budget.
__________________
"I'll see you in another life, brother."
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 03:01 PM   #1316
Similitude
Rear Admiral
 
Similitude's Avatar
 
Location: Doctor!
Send a message via AIM to Similitude
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

I think next weekend being a non holiday weekend will be very telling how far past $190 this film might go.

We are still trending ahead of ST09 but remember at this point ST09 didn't hit Memorial Day yet, and we are only a few million ahead. I'm thinking $225-235M at this point. Could be lower though.
Similitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 03:02 PM   #1317
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral
 
DarthTom's Avatar
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
That was a good hold for a second weekend with so much competition.
I think you're putting a little bit of a a happy face on the numbers - but what ever.

Iron Man still held onto #4 in week #4 at $19 million with the same level of, "competition."

As an aside, I just don't see the draw for Fast and Furious and this is the 6th movie. But apparently I'm in the minority among the general film going audience.
DarthTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 03:04 PM   #1318
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

DarthTom wrote: View Post
Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
Good to see Star Trek continuing to do well.

Onward to Star Trek 3.
You think dropping to number 3 in its week # 2 release with a 46% decline - well?
Yes. I'm sorry, what was it you expected? What reaction were you after with your post?
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 03:07 PM   #1319
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral
 
DarthTom's Avatar
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Similitude wrote: View Post
I think next weekend being a non holiday weekend will be very telling how far past $190 this film might go.
As a reminder, Wil Smith and his sons new flick After Earth hits theatres this Friday [another Sci-fi flick] - so the competition for STID and an audience gets more crowded.

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post

Yes. I'm sorry, what was it you expected? What reaction were you after with your post?
Some level of pragmatism on where this movie will finally land.

BTW, Dennis I loved the film - thought it was better than the last one - but apparently the general movie going audience didn't agree - and/or was preoccupied with what else is out there.
DarthTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 03:09 PM   #1320
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral
 
Out Of My Vulcan Mind's Avatar
 
Location: Wherever you go, there you are.
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

DarthTom wrote: View Post
I think you're putting a little bit of a a happy face on the numbers - but what ever.

Iron Man still held onto #4 in week #4 at $19 million with the same level of, "competition."
Iron Man 3 is a juggernaut. Very few movies are going to match it.

Star Trek faced one new major release - Angels & Demons - in its second weekend and dropped 42.8% to #2. STiD faced three major new releases. It held up well. Its overall box office gross is likely to fall short of Paramount's pre-release hopes and expectations, but it'll still be profitable, still be one of their top franchises and still lead to a sequel, perhaps with the budget trimmed back some.
__________________
"I'll see you in another life, brother."
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.