RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,147
Posts: 5,343,575
Members: 24,592
Currently online: 527
Newest member: LaVelle

TrekToday headlines

New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 24 2013, 12:42 PM   #1006
Kpnuts
Commodore
 
Kpnuts's Avatar
 
Location: London
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Dream wrote: View Post
To compare the movies on their first days:

Hangover 2 made 31.6 Million
Hangover 3 made 11 Million

Awful!
Let's just hope Trek 3 doesn't follow that trend!
Kpnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 12:50 PM   #1007
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Kpnuts wrote: View Post
Dream wrote: View Post
To compare the movies on their first days:

Hangover 2 made 31.6 Million
Hangover 3 made 11 Million

Awful!
Let's just hope Trek 3 doesn't follow that trend!
Yeah, both Hangovers had their first full day in theaters on a Thursday, so it's a fair comparison.

I hope people realize STID isn't doing THAT bad as a sequel.

There is a good chance STID is beating Hangover this weekend!
__________________
=)
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 03:23 PM   #1008
Borgminister
Moderator
 
Location: California
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Let's hope...!
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 03:32 PM   #1009
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral
 
Out Of My Vulcan Mind's Avatar
 
Location: Wherever you go, there you are.
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

STiD needs a $10 million Friday to set it up for a $45 million 4-day weekend. An $11 million Friday could carry it to as much as $50 million.
__________________
"I'll see you in another life, brother."
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 03:39 PM   #1010
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

From Nikki

‘Fast & Furious 6′ Opens To Big $6.5M Thurs Late Shows/Friday Midnights; ‘Hangover III’ Weak $11M Wed/Thurs Kicks Off Crowded Memorial Weekend With Toon ‘Epic’ Debut

Universal’s Fast & Furious 6 debuted in 2,409 North American theaters for Thursday 10 PM late shows and Friday midnights and nearly doubled its last take. It took in $6.5M which speeded past Fast 5‘s $3.8M late show grosses from an uncrowded April 29, 2011
Great start for Fast 6. Not exactly sure what this means for STID yet.
__________________
=)
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 03:55 PM   #1011
KittyDuran
Lieutenant Commander
 
KittyDuran's Avatar
 
Location: Hungry (like the wolf)
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Dream wrote: View Post
From Nikki

‘Fast & Furious 6′ Opens To Big $6.5M Thurs Late Shows/Friday Midnights; ‘Hangover III’ Weak $11M Wed/Thurs Kicks Off Crowded Memorial Weekend With Toon ‘Epic’ Debut

Universal’s Fast & Furious 6 debuted in 2,409 North American theaters for Thursday 10 PM late shows and Friday midnights and nearly doubled its last take. It took in $6.5M which speeded past Fast 5‘s $3.8M late show grosses from an uncrowded April 29, 2011
Great start for Fast 6. Not exactly sure what this means for STID yet.
Best case scenario is for people just showing up at a theatre (w/o advanced tickets) see the sell-outs of F&F6 and pick another movie (hopefully STiD). Also depending on the weather this Memorial Day weekend - if its rainy for instance - a lot of families might opt to go to the movies instead and that could also be a last minute decision.
KittyDuran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 04:07 PM   #1012
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral
 
DarthTom's Avatar
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

KittyDuran wrote: View Post
Also depending on the weather this Memorial Day weekend - if its rainy for instance - a lot of families might opt to go to the movies instead and that could also be a last minute decision.
Here in the South and in the South West - it's outdoor weather. NE and Midwest, perhaps a movie day.


DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 04:16 PM   #1013
ralph
Captain
 
ralph's Avatar
 
Location: Brazil
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

The search for STID in IMAX in Brazil, is fantastic. More than 20 available theaters and many crowded: São Paulo, Curitiba, Rio de Janeiro, Fortaleza, Recife, Brasilia, São Luiz, Campinas, big cities. The first exhibition in IMAX was on May 18th. Now being announced for May 25th and May 30th. All IMAX theaters realized the success this last weekend and now want to release the film as well. We, site Trek Brazilis, are helping, via facebook and twitter, with links to buy tickets. STID in 2-D will open June 14th. I think we'll have a surprise box office. Unfortunately, no one from "Supreme Court" or cast will come here to make a marketing, but I'm very happy because the fans are doing their own part..
__________________
Ralph Pinheiro
ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 04:17 PM   #1014
Flake
Commodore
 
Location: Manchester, UK
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Well I personally am hoping for $35-38m 3-day and $45-$48m 4-day which would be great.

STID will make $5m on Thursday. I think it will go to around $9m-$10m on Friday for the figures above.

Assuming $5m Thursday and then the same percent increases of ST09 on memorial weekend I get.

$9.89 Fri
$14.26 Sat
$14.25 Sun
$10.89 Mon

But I wonder if this time around the increased competition will make those figures drop a little so I hope for $45m for 4 Days.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 04:31 PM   #1015
Borgminister
Moderator
 
Location: California
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Shouldn't the extended IMAX run help too, especially if well-advertized?
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 04:44 PM   #1016
Flake
Commodore
 
Location: Manchester, UK
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Borgminister wrote: View Post
Shouldn't the extended IMAX run help too, especially if well-advertized?
True. I forgot about this until now but I think Trek09 lost its IMAX screens to Night At the Museum on Memorial Day weekend. So perhaps the fact that Trek goes into this weekend with IMAX will help keep the numbers toward the higher end of expectations?

The competition this time is more difficult though.

Its hard to predict the box office! Thats for sure.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 04:50 PM   #1017
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral
 
Out Of My Vulcan Mind's Avatar
 
Location: Wherever you go, there you are.
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Remember that Memorial Day weekend was Star Trek's third weekend, not its second.
__________________
"I'll see you in another life, brother."
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 05:18 PM   #1018
Flake
Commodore
 
Location: Manchester, UK
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Remember that Memorial Day weekend was Star Trek's third weekend, not its second.
Yes but I think different weekends at the BO mean more to its Friday increase than the weekend number. Trek09 second Friday increased 109% from the Thursday. I think this is too high here so I chose to go with the Memorial Weekend increases.

I think it'll be an increase of between 75-100% over Thursdays number. Hopefully its toward the higher end.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 05:31 PM   #1019
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral
 
Out Of My Vulcan Mind's Avatar
 
Location: Wherever you go, there you are.
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Flake wrote: View Post
I think it'll be an increase of between 75-100% over Thursdays number. Hopefully its toward the higher end.
That range is too low for the Friday increase. Even Battleship got an 81.9% increase. STiD's Friday increase should be at least 95-100% and could go as high as 125-130%. It's not the Friday increase that's likely to be lower for a second weekend than a third weekend, but rather that the Friday-to-weekend multiplier is likely to be in the range of 4.5 to 4.6 for the 4-day weekend rather than the exceptionally high weekend multiplier Star Trek scored for the 4-day in its third weekend.
__________________
"I'll see you in another life, brother."
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 05:45 PM   #1020
Flake
Commodore
 
Location: Manchester, UK
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Flake wrote: View Post
I think it'll be an increase of between 75-100% over Thursdays number. Hopefully its toward the higher end.
That range is too low for the Friday increase. Even Battleship got an 81.9% increase. STiD's Friday increase should be at least 95-100% and could go as high as 125-130%. It's not the Friday increase that's likely to be lower for a second weekend than a third weekend, but rather that the Friday-to-weekend multiplier is likely to be in the range of 4.5 to 4.6 for the 4-day weekend rather than the exceptionally high weekend multiplier Star Trek scored for the 4-day in its third weekend.
I say 75% because thats what some of the Star Wars prequels got, 75%, 98% and 71%.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.