Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 23 2013, 10:21 PM   #976
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

I'd watch.
Old May 23 2013, 10:26 PM   #977
beamMe
Fleet Captain

Borgminister wrote: View Post
beamMe wrote: View Post
Dart wrote: View Post
The foreign take hasn't been updated on BoxOfficeMojo for days and days. There's gotta be some boost there now.
As of last week STID had 140.000 more viewers than ST had in its first two weeks.
Viewers? Interesting stat.
I should have added: in Germany.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 11:36 PM   #978
indranee
Vice Admiral

Phily B wrote: View Post
I think they could've just released two hours of Spock and Kirk making out and passed Nemesis (and made a better movie).
I'd watch that every day if I could
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 12:21 AM   #979
BritishSeaPower
Commander

View BritishSeaPower's Twitter Profile

I just saw a curious new ad for STID on TV. All about Harrison and his "better"ness. It all but comes out and says his name and shows far more of the Vengeance crash. Someone who hasn't seen the movie turned to me and said "Oh, guess I know who the bad guy is now..."

It seemed like a reactionary ad based off some of the negative word of mouth about unnecessarily obfuscating the villain and belays some panic about Memorial Day Weekend movie traffic.

I know I'm seeing it tomorrow, so I'll be curious to see what the traffic is like.
Old May 24 2013, 12:36 AM   #980
CorporalClegg
Admiral

That ad has been out for a while.
Old May 24 2013, 12:57 AM   #981
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

BritishSeaPower wrote: View Post
I just saw a curious new ad for STID on TV. All about Harrison and his "better"ness. It all but comes out and says his name and shows far more of the Vengeance crash. Someone who hasn't seen the movie turned to me and said "Oh, guess I know who the bad guy is now..."

It seemed like a reactionary ad based off some of the negative word of mouth about unnecessarily obfuscating the villain and belays some panic about Memorial Day Weekend movie traffic.

I know I'm seeing it tomorrow, so I'll be curious to see what the traffic is like.
Honestly, if you're a Trek fan, it's been obvious from the trailers. Hell, IMDB has had John Harrison/Khan for months.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 01:01 AM   #982
section9
Commander

I heard that World War Z had a production budget of 400 million dollars. Who the f**k sinks that kind of money into a movie like that in this day and age? That's ridiculousness.
Old May 24 2013, 01:01 AM   #983
Matt S
Lieutenant

I think the TX heat is affecting my brain, but is this movie doing decent after all? If so, awesome?
Old May 24 2013, 01:02 AM   #984
Dream
Admiral

Honestly, if you're a Trek fan, it's been obvious from the trailers. Hell, IMDB has had John Harrison/Khan for months.
I don't know why they just don't scream Khan's name out in all the ads. The movie is OUT already and that info is all over the internet, no point in keeping it a secret anymore. Might as well advertise the hell out of the name to get butts into theater seats.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 01:11 AM   #985
I am not Spock
Commodore

Dream wrote: View Post

I don't know why they just don't scream Khan's name out in all the ads. The movie is OUT already and that info is all over the internet, no point in keeping it a secret anymore. Might as well advertise the hell out of the name to get butts into theater seats.
I agree. They should do a run of television spots advertising that this is KHAAAAN. Guaranteed more butts in seats
Old May 24 2013, 01:13 AM   #986
I am not Spock
Commodore

There's a LOT of bitchy, whiny Trek 'fans' on social media, and IMDb complaining about this movie. It seems the more civil fans tend to congregate on here.

The haters are probably a minority, and they still paid their money to go to the cinema, and see the film. But boy, are they loud.
Old May 24 2013, 01:33 AM   #987
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

section9 wrote: View Post
I heard that World War Z had a production budget of 400 million dollars. Who the f**k sinks that kind of money into a movie like that in this day and age? That's ridiculousness.
That figure comes from a tabloid writer completely misreading the recent Vanity Fair article on World War Z. The article states that the budget went from $170 million to $200 million because of reshooting 40 minutes of the film. The tabloid writer idiotically read that as being $200 million for the reshoots in addition to the original $170 million and then rounded up to $400 million for a juicy headline.
Old May 24 2013, 02:58 AM   #988
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Matt S wrote: View Post
I think the TX heat is affecting my brain, but is this movie doing decent after all? If so, awesome?
Except for a forty-eight hour period of speculation last weekend it's never been thought to have been doing anything other than decent business.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 03:02 AM   #989
Dream
Admiral

Looks like Hangover 3 is going to be a huge disappointment after looking at the Thursday numbers. It would be lucky to made half as much as the second movie in the US. This only means great things for STID!
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 03:28 AM   #990
Rainbow Dash
Osmotic Egghead

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

Dream wrote: View Post

If I would have found out before the film, it would have ruined the surprise. Yeah, I had a very strong suspicion, but I had been avoiding all spoilers, and made it to the movie unspoiled. When Harrison says he's Khan, I had a little "ha ha!" moment. Sure, others new, but I had remained unspoiled and it was a satisfying moment for me.
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote