Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 21 2013, 09:46 PM   #856
The Transformed Man
Commander

View The Transformed Man's Twitter Profile
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
billcosby wrote: View Post
I goggled Into Darkness Sunday night (been avoiding spoilers for a while now) and a lot of headlines I read suggested that Trek underperformed at the box office.
It opened below expectations and will likely end up with a domestic gross below that of Star Trek. Foreign numbers are posting good gains over Star Trek, though, so the worldwide gross will be lead to a sequel. It's still an open question to what extent the total gross will be really good or simply good enough.
I think a lot of this is being overstated right now. In fact Into Darknes is performing almost identically/slightly better than Trek 2009:

1. Trek 2009 performed better than Into Darkness on Friday, however Into Darkness officially opened Thursday so much of the intial demand for the film was met Thursday reducing its Friday take.

2. Since Friday Into Darknes has outperformed Trek 2009 every day. Saturday saw a 24% box office increase vs. 2009's 1% increase. Sunday that number dropped 19.9% vs. 2009's 22.7%. Additionally Into Darkness performed better on Monday as well.

Reports of the film's demise have been greatly exaggerated. Sure Paramount would have liked a bigger opening, but as I contended in another post, I think a $250-260 million gross is the max ANY Star Trek film could ever achieve. Sure it's a tentpole franchise, but it nowhere near as popular with mainstream audiences as the Marvel films, Star Wars, or Transformers.

Yancy
Old May 21 2013, 09:50 PM   #857
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

The confusing thing is that it's gross has gone up in every other country, if you took those increases and applied them to the domestic opening, then it should've hit 100m+. That's why its baffled pretty much everyone, it could end up grossing more overseas.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 09:50 PM   #858
Franklin
Rear Admiral

The Monday total for STID according to Box Office Mojo is $7.98 million and $91.68 million total to that point. According to the same source, ST09 made $7.5 million its first Monday for a total to that point of $86.71 million.

Reviews for "Hangover III" on Rotten Tomatoes are terrible so far (OK, there are only 9, but just 3 are good and one of those reads as if it should be rotten).

Things are probably going to be fine at the box office, but if it'll make folks feel better, I'll make myself go see STID a couple more times.
Old May 21 2013, 09:56 PM   #859
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Phily B wrote: View Post
The confusing thing is that it's gross has gone up in every other country, if you took those increases and applied them to the domestic opening, then it should've hit 100m+. That's why its baffled pretty much everyone, it could end up grossing more overseas.
It's not really baffling, that's the thing. Now, if the movie had made $45 million, or $25 million over the weekend, yes, it would be baffling, but a couple of million off the bullseye? That's not baffling, that's normal. If it's that baffling to someone, then it's likely that said person just poorly worked out the numbers.

That is why it's better to wait a few days and get a better picture of what is going on.
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 09:58 PM   #860
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

The Transformed Man wrote: View Post
I think a lot of this is being overstated right now. In fact Into Darknes is performing almost identically/slightly better than Trek 2009:

1. Trek 2009 performed better than Into Darkness on Friday, however Into Darkness officially opened Thursday so much of the intial demand for the film was met Thursday reducing its Friday take.

2. Since Friday Into Darknes has outperformed Trek 2009 every day. Saturday saw a 24% box office increase vs. 2009's 1% increase. Sunday that number dropped 19.9% vs. 2009's 22.7%. Additionally Into Darkness performed better on Monday as well.
If it can continue to match or come close to Star Trek's legs that'll be a great achievement. It's the prospect that its legs will start to weaken, as so many sequels do, that could lead to a gross tens of millions short of Star Trek domestically. That's why studios hope for an increase in the opening weekend for a sequel.

Reports of the film's demise have been greatly exaggerated.
I agree and I haven't stated that it's met or will meet its demise.

Sure Paramount would have liked a bigger opening, but as I contended in another post, I think a $250-260 million gross is the max ANY Star Trek film could ever achieve. Sure it's a tentpole franchise, but it nowhere near as popular with mainstream audiences as the Marvel films, Star Wars, or Transformers.
The same number of tickets sold as Star Trek would lead to a higher gross than $260 million today. Trek isn't as popular as the biggest Marvel films, but it's bigger than others. Star Trek grossed more than Thor, Captain America, and X-Men: First Class, for example, in the domestic market.
Old May 21 2013, 10:10 PM   #861
The Transformed Man
Commander

View The Transformed Man's Twitter Profile

If it can continue to match or come close to Star Trek's legs that'll be a great achievement. It's the prospect that its legs will start to weaken, as so many sequels do, that could lead to a gross tens of millions short of Star Trek domestically. That's why studios hope for an increase in the opening weekend for a sequel.

Sure Paramount would have liked a bigger opening, but as I contended in another post, I think a $250-260 million gross is the max ANY Star Trek film could ever achieve. Sure it's a tentpole franchise, but it nowhere near as popular with mainstream audiences as the Marvel films, Star Wars, or Transformers.
The same number of tickets sold as Star Trek would lead to a higher gross than $260 million today. Trek isn't as popular as the biggest Marvel films, but it's bigger than others. Star Trek grossed more than Thor, Captain America, and X-Men: First Class, for example, in the domestic market.
I understand your point, but the film is simply performing virtually identically to Trek 2009. This may just be the "model" for these Trek films with solid, but unremarkable openings, but steady legs.

The thing that will ultimately determine legs here is if Darkness can start recouping some of those numbers of female and younger viewers which didn't show up this week. if it can, then I can easily see this film holding on well into June.

Yancy
Old May 21 2013, 10:11 PM   #862
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

I understand your point, but the film is simply performing virtually identically to Trek 2009. This may just be the "model" for these Trek films with solid, but unremarkable openings, but steady legs.
Hopefully that's the case.
Old May 21 2013, 10:15 PM   #863
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

I'm curious to know if there are any 3D specific numbers.

I saw a later 3D show Saturday night. A strange thing happened, though: my theatre was only about half-full. However, across the hall there was a standard showing that had a start-time ten minutes later. It was packed. And judging by the line, I think the theatre might have overbooked.
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 10:20 PM   #864
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
I'm curious to know if there are any 3D specific numbers.

I saw a later 3D show Saturday night. A strange thing happened, though: my theatre was only about half-full. However, across the hall there was a standard showing that had a start-time ten minutes later. It was packed. And judging by the line, I think the theatre might have overbooked.
16% of the opening weekend revenue was from IMAX and 45% was from 3D and IMAX.
Old May 21 2013, 10:26 PM   #865
Kpnuts
Commodore

I still think Star Trek had novelty on it's side, and people were curious about nuTrek, and so it therefore over-performed at the domestic box office. To have Into Darkness doing nearly as well, if not better is a big achievement now that the novelty has worn off, and four years have passed.
Kpnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 10:29 PM   #866
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Xaios wrote: View Post
Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
Yeah, but it was a better film in spite of its issues. Quite enjoyable, towards the end even touching, and I'll be getting it on DVD. I can't say the same for STID.
Hooboy, that is certainly a matter of opinion. I found every attempt at pathos in IM3 to be incredibly forced and ineffective, which is surprising because of how well it did work in IM1. Hell, it was more believable in IM2 than in IM3.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the hell out of IM3 when I was in the theater, but it left me hollow once I left, and didn't stick with me at all. Knd of like the fortune cookie.
Yep, yup, same goes for what you think. You have a right to your opinion, but IM3 is definitely better than IM2 to me. Not better than IM1, but good and enjoyable. It never felt tired.

STID had me sitting there just waiting for it to end. Considering the fact that I actually actively waited for this film (and that's not something I do), imagine my profound disappointment. I'm glad you got some enjoyment out of it, though, maybe even enough for the both of us.

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
There will be a third film.

Anyone who calls STiD a "failure" needs to chug a bottle of Reality. See your doctor for details.

BillJ wrote: View Post
Xaios wrote: View Post

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the hell out of IM3 when I was in the theater, but it left me hollow once I left, and didn't stick with me at all.
This is pretty much how I've felt about all the Marvel movies except for the first Iron Man and Captain America.
I'm with you. Quite frankly, I thought IM3 down-right sucked, and, dare I say it, thought it was even worse than IM2.

It was especially disappointing because Pearce and Kingsley are both in my top ten favorite actors and thought using both the way they did was a waste.
To each their own. IM3 had its issues but they got the main things right enough for me to overlook them. STID, not so much.

And it deserved to. ST09 was better than those films, imo.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 10:38 PM   #867
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Suggesting that the reason one film grosses more than another is because it's "better" is so subjective a judgment as to be completely meaningless. I wouldn't say that ST 2009 is a "better" movie than Captain America, although I liked it better because I'm a Trek fan.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 10:43 PM   #868
Dream
Admiral

BTC's prediction for this weekend is Fast 6 at 100M for the 4-Day weekend, Hangover 3 is still at 100M for the 5-Day, EPIC is at 40M for 4 day

3 Day holds - TREK2 38.6, IRNM3 21.5, GATSB 14.4

http://www.hsx.com/forum/forum.php?id=3&pid=234460
Old May 21 2013, 10:47 PM   #869
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
Suggesting that the reason one film grosses more than another is because it's "better" is so subjective a judgment as to be completely meaningless. I wouldn't say that ST 2009 is a "better" movie than Captain America, although I liked it better because I'm a Trek fan.
Okay, well, "imo" stands for "in my opinion." Next time I'll just use the words, I guess.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 11:49 PM   #870
Neumann
Captain

View Neumann's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Neumann

Who is predicting such a steep dive for the trek movie? 38.6 is quite low. I would expect 43