Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 21 2013, 08:19 PM   #841
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

I'm sorry, but was there anyone expressing doubt about that? [reads through the thread--oops]

I mean, isn't it just a tad early to be wringing hands and seeking smelling salts?
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 08:25 PM   #842
CorporalClegg
Admiral

There will be a third film.

Anyone who calls STiD a "failure" needs to chug a bottle of Reality. See your doctor for details.

BillJ wrote: View Post
Xaios wrote: View Post

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the hell out of IM3 when I was in the theater, but it left me hollow once I left, and didn't stick with me at all.
This is pretty much how I've felt about all the Marvel movies except for the first Iron Man and Captain America.
I'm with you. Quite frankly, I thought IM3 down-right sucked, and, dare I say it, thought it was even worse than IM2.

It was especially disappointing because Pearce and Kingsley are both in my top ten favorite actors and thought using both the way they did was a waste.
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 08:27 PM   #843
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I've only seen the first Iron Man. That and Captain America are my favorite superhero movies out of the current wave.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 08:30 PM   #844
billcosby
Commodore

Ovation wrote: View Post
I'm sorry, but was there anyone expressing doubt about that? [reads through the thread--oops]

I mean, isn't it just a tad early to be wringing hands and seeking smelling salts?
I goggled Into Darkness Sunday night (been avoiding spoilers for a while now) and a lot of headlines I read suggested that Trek underperformed at the box office.

But who knows? Everyone has an axe to grind in hollywood. Glad to hear it's mostly positive.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 08:36 PM   #845
Xaios
Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, everyone (myself included) kinda ran around screaming "REPENT, FOR THE END IS NEAR!!" for a bit there. It's understandable though, people were just trying to figure out what went wrong.

The funny thing is that I'm pretty sure my initial prediction was $450m, which seems to be where the film is destined to end up. Yet despite that, I got caught up in the talk of "OMG IT COULD TOTALLY GROSS $750M WORLDWIDE."

Sometimes, you just want to believe.

Even found the post, for posterity: http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?...47&postcount=3
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 08:37 PM   #846
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I said $600 million worldwide. Shows what I know.
Old May 21 2013, 08:45 PM   #847
J. Allen
Dancing on Rainbows

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Xaios wrote: View Post

Yeah, everyone (myself included) kinda ran around screaming "REPENT, FOR THE END IS NEAR!!" for a bit there. It's understandable though, people were just trying to figure out what went wrong.

The funny thing is that I'm pretty sure my initial prediction was $450m, which seems to be where the film is destined to end up. Yet despite that, I got caught up in the talk of "OMG IT COULD TOTALLY GROSS $750M WORLDWIDE."

Sometimes, you just want to believe.

Even found the post, for posterity: http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?...47&postcount=3
Not everyone, and not everyone thought anything had gone "wrong" whatsoever.
"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured." - Mark Twain
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 08:47 PM   #848
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

billcosby wrote: View Post
I goggled Into Darkness Sunday night (been avoiding spoilers for a while now) and a lot of headlines I read suggested that Trek underperformed at the box office.
It opened below expectations and will likely end up with a domestic gross below that of Star Trek. Foreign numbers are posting good gains over Star Trek, though, so the worldwide gross will be lead to a sequel. It's still an open question to what extent the total gross will be really good or simply good enough.
Old May 21 2013, 08:49 PM   #849
Dream
Admiral

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
But, as I said earlier, I think STiD will have better legs than Tides. Tides is just useful for laying out the lower range of what STiD could end up with.
Tides was awful, the sequel that no one wanted. It got terrible reviews. I don't think the movies should be compared at all.
Old May 21 2013, 08:52 PM   #850
J. Allen
Dancing on Rainbows

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

billcosby wrote: View Post
It opened below expectations and will likely end up with a domestic gross below that of Star Trek. Foreign numbers are posting good gains over Star Trek, though, so the worldwide gross will be lead to a sequel. It's still an open question to what extent the total gross will be really good or simply good enough.
It only "underperformed" in the sense that the last minute expectations Paramount threw out weren't based on anything at all. The movie made $84 million, domestically, over the weekend. That's fucking fantastic. For any movie.

It seems more like unrealistic expectations are at the root of the problem here, rather than a supposedly under-performing box office.
"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured." - Mark Twain
Old May 21 2013, 08:53 PM   #851
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
Tides was awful, the sequel that no one wanted. It got terrible reviews. I don't think the movies should be compared at all.
I didn't like it either. But legs don't always match critical reception. Tides sets the lower level of legs that STiD could do. I think it'll do better than that, but it's handy to have a number of films on the lower and upper ends to compare performance.

J. Allen wrote: View Post
It only "underperformed" in the sense that the last minute expectations Paramount threw out weren't based on anything at all. The movie made $84 million, domestically, over the weekend. That's fucking fantastic. For any movie.

It seems more like unrealistic expectations are at the root of the problem here, rather than a supposedly under-performing box office.
No, the expectations of an increase weren't unrealistic. Sequels to well-liked films, with the benefit of higher ticker prices, particularly 3D and IMAX prices, and a broadening of the audience for the first film through home entertainment, usually open bigger. And they need to in order to generate higher grosses since sequels usually have shorter legs.
Old May 21 2013, 08:55 PM   #852
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

It seems more like unrealistic expectations are at the root of the problem here...
Well, maybe not unrealistic. Mistaken and overreaching, yeah.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 09:30 PM   #853
J. Allen
Dancing on Rainbows

No,
Yes.

the expectations of an increase weren't unrealistic. Sequels to well-liked films, with the benefit of higher ticker prices, particularly 3D and IMAX prices, and a broadening of the audience for the first film through home entertainment, usually open bigger. And they need to in order to generate higher grosses since sequels usually have shorter legs.
So it's reasonable, then, to gnash teeth and wring hands when the movie is out for a couple of days and hasn't met your expectations, even though financially speaking it's still very good. That's your prerogative, I guess.

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
It seems more like unrealistic expectations are at the root of the problem here...
Well, maybe not unrealistic. Mistaken and overreaching, yeah.
Point taken.
Old May 21 2013, 09:39 PM   #854
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

So it's reasonable, then, to gnash teeth and wring hands when the movie is out for a couple of days and hasn't met your expectations, even though financially speaking it's still very good. That's your prerogative, I guess.
I am neither wringing my hands nor gnashing my teeth. I am entirely sanguine that there will be a sequel. One can acknowledge that an opening fell short of expectations - not just my expectations, but studio and industry expectations - and follow the unfolding box office as an intellectual exercise to see what kind of numbers the film is likely to end up with, and to what extent those numbers are a good return on its budget, without thinking the film is a failure (which I don't).
Old May 21 2013, 09:40 PM   #855
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

If the theories about marketing being poor and Gatsby cutting into the audience are true, then it should have decent enough legs.

I mean I'm reminded of my mum saying "Star Trek is out NEXT WEEK?!" a week before release because she had no idea, even though she'd seen posters because the STAR TREK part was smaller than INTO DARKNESS (which is a shit title).
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote