Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 20 2013, 08:25 PM   #736
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Well, if he's expecting TOS to be anything like STID he's gonna be disappointed.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 08:39 PM   #737
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
Well, if he's expecting TOS to be anything like STID he's gonna be disappointed.
I disagree.

Yes the effects and sets have received a Hell of an upgrade. But at its core, Star Trek Into Darkness feels the closest to TOS since The Search for Spock.
Old May 20 2013, 08:42 PM   #738
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

I do agree with one thing in the Huffington post, between ST09 and STiD what has there been? There has been nothing for four years concerning the new reboot galaxy, no books, no merchandise, no games, no cartoons, no series. If you look for Star Trek on Netflix, you'll get the classic movies and series. Most of the merchandise push has been concerning old Trek.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 08:43 PM   #739
BillJ
Admiral

Phily B wrote: View Post
I do agree with one thing in the Huffington post, between ST09 and STiD what has there been? There has been nothing for four years concerning the new reboot galaxy, no books, no merchandise, no games, no cartoons, no series. If you look for Star Trek on Netflix, you'll get the classic movies and series. Most of the merchandise push has been concerning old Trek.
There is the IDW comic series.
Old May 20 2013, 08:44 PM   #740
beamMe
Fleet Captain

Yes, CBS fucked it up.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 08:45 PM   #741
BillJ
Admiral

beamMe wrote: View Post
Yes, CBS fucked it up.
I thought the merchandise for the new films was controlled by Paramount and Bad Robot?
Old May 20 2013, 08:50 PM   #742
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Star Trek made $21,061,701 on its first Sunday. STiD made $21,594,735. That makes tracking the daily numbers and the extent to which STiD is matching, surpassing or falling off from Star Trek's legs easy to follow. Monday to Wednesday should see STiD keep pace. Then it'll face its first test of increased competition when The Hangover Part III enters the marketplace on Thursday.
Old May 20 2013, 08:51 PM   #743
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

It is, but there isn't much you can do if CBS control 95 percent of the franchise which is mostly TV based. We see a lot of Trek blu rays, DVDs, remasters, special editions etc etc for the old versions, what does the new version have? One movie, four years ago. They couldn't even do a animated series to appeal to children even if they wanted to.

They did mess up with the video game though, they need to just sell the vidya game license to a company with a good track record and let them do what they want. They might not earn as much money but it'll help with the film.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 09:13 PM   #744
Chrono85
Lieutenant Commander

View Chrono85's Twitter Profile

I still say that There should be some Abrams-verse novels in between STiD and ST3 . The Star Wars EU has always been huge, and that was probably part of what sustained its popularity up until the prequels (along with the special editions). I'm sure the comic books are nice, but that doesn't really interest me as much, although I would see a Star Trek movie regardless, so I'm probably not their target. The animated series idea is a good one too, but I think that a live-action Starfleet Academy series with young, good-looking actors is an even better idea.
Chrono85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 09:23 PM   #745
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

^Sadly, for some unknown reason, there aren't and won't be any novels set in the Abramsverse. Four were written and set for a summer 2010 release, but never made it to the shelves. Info and synopsis here: http://trekmovie.com/2010/01/10/summ...g-this-summer/
Old May 20 2013, 09:23 PM   #746
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Can someone explain to me the "opening weekend hassle?" I've yet to go see a movie on opening weekend or even the midnight showing where I had to wait in line for 5 hours or haven't gotten a seat. Get there a little early, pick up your tickets, walk in and find a seat. There's never been a mosh pit... even in full theaters.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 09:28 PM   #747
KittyDuran
Lieutenant Commander

King Daniel wrote: View Post
^Sadly, for some unknown reason, there aren't and won't be any novels set in the Abramsverse. Four were written and set for a summer 2010 release, but never made it to the shelves. Info and synopsis here: http://trekmovie.com/2010/01/10/summ...g-this-summer/
I'll have to wait till I get home from work - but I'm sure I have a few novels that came out after ST09 (not adult paperback but young adult IIRC)...
KittyDuran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 09:30 PM   #748
KittyDuran
Lieutenant Commander

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
Can someone explain to me the "opening weekend hassle?" I've yet to go see a movie on opening weekend or even the midnight showing where I had to wait in line for 5 hours or haven't gotten a seat. Get there a little early, pick up your tickets, walk in and find a seat. There's never been a mosh pit... even in full theaters.
The only time I've had issues was when I went with others - took my parents to see ST09 and had to sit a row back because it was sold out (first week). When I go alone - no problems!
KittyDuran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 09:37 PM   #749
I am not Spock
Commodore

I also rarely go to a film on opening day, or opening weekend. Too much hassle, too many crowds. One exception to this was in fact Star Trek Into Darkness. I saw it opening day here (the 9th), but during a daytime showing, on my day off, when the theatre was nearly empty.
Old May 20 2013, 09:40 PM   #750
Chrono85
Lieutenant Commander

View Chrono85's Twitter Profile

King Daniel wrote: View Post
Yeah, I did know about all of that, and I think it's a shame. I still hold out hope that novels will be released Although, any novel from the Star trek: Enterprise era could be considered within the Abrams-verse, since that takes place before the time-line split and should still all be Abrams Canon-worthy. To be back on topic though, I don't think they should go the next three years without throwing us a bone, or a 'Bones' . They probably shouldn't focus on big plot twists that have to be kept secret either, and maybe just give a more straight-forward story.
Chrono85 is offline   Reply With Quote