Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 20 2013, 04:35 PM   #721
ralph
Captain

Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

My guess is $ 500 M, taking into consideration that there are still other countries to debut as Korea, Brazil, China, France, Japan, big markets. If the film has solid legs due to word-of-mouth, can go further.
Old May 20 2013, 04:43 PM   #722
judgeroy
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I know a lot of you, like me, have been reading other boards as well and the "haters" have been gutting this movie long before it even came out. Anyone who isn't a big Trek fan might have second thoughts about going to the movie after reading all that vitriol. So, is it any wonder that the movie started slow? I'm betting that, like 2009, this movie will have long legs due to good word of mouth.
judgeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 04:55 PM   #723
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

Flake wrote: View Post
Interesting post on hsx.com:

I posted that TREK2 would have a big Saturday bump (it did) and now Rentrak numbers look like Sunday....

.... is going to be bigger than Friday by a good percentage. The Rentrak numbers for about 30 theaters in my area show that 28 of them all had higher Sunday numbers.

Think the legs are looking good. I am in the camp that thinks if it weren't for Gatsby drawing away women and dates, that Trek2 would have been over $100 million for the 4 day.
It could certainly have good legs with the good reviews, and again I think Paramount will take into consideration how tough this summer has been. I think various factors have led to the disappointment, and the worrying thing about the legs is next weekend..
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 04:59 PM   #724
Roshi's bone
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Roshi's bone

ralph wrote: View Post
My guess is $ 500 M, taking into consideration that there are still other countries to debut as Korea, Brazil, China, France, Japan, big markets. If the film has solid legs due to word-of-mouth, can go further.
Ahem, France has never been a big Trek market,
However, from Nemesis to '09, Trek has made 1,000% in earnings.

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Roshi's bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 05:18 PM   #725
RAMA
Vice Admiral

China is looking big. If STID makes $25-40 million there it'll probably be it's second biggest market, and push the international numbers over $200 million, maybe even $250 million. It seems as if Iron Man has made close to $100 million there...wow.
Old May 20 2013, 06:00 PM   #726
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

I've been reading foreign BO and it appears, even if its doing poor relative to IM3, it's doing well compared to ST09 and is also holding very well in these markets, so WOM is strong.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 06:19 PM   #727
section9
Commander

You know WHY Lucasfilm put out Clone Wars, don't you? Not out of the goodness of their hearts.

Lucas and his people understood that it would be a decade between films. They wanted to get that generation of kids hooked on Star Wars.

Nobody at Paramount has that kind of foresight. If they did, they'd have the cast in studios doing audio and doing a decently made, canon, animated series based on the Five Year mission to get people ramped up for the next movie.
Old May 20 2013, 06:25 PM   #728
Blue_Trek
Captain

An older fellow (60+) told me just yesterday he hasn't been to see a movie in 9 years at the theater, but he is going to see this Trek movie, but didn't want to fight with opening weekend traffic, I didn't want to face opening weekend traffic either, besides I had already seen the movie online, I will pay to see it this week.
Old May 20 2013, 06:40 PM   #729
timtonruben359
Lieutenant

I'm sick of people portraying this as some massive box office bomb. It's number 1, and took in 84M+ over the weekend which is actually where Paramount had originally projected it before they moved the IMAX opening to Wednesday. The problem is the IMAX opening I think was moved too late and that probably affected the numbers.

Yes, the domestic numbers are lower than what I think the studio had hoped for but the international markets are making big gains compared to previous Trek movies. Studios are turning more and more to international markets as domestic box office hasn't been as strong as in the past.

The movie had some cons (no pun intended) going for it. The first movie in 09 was set up to reboot and refresh the franchise, problem is they waited 4 years for the second installment. When you're tying to build up a franchise, 4 years is too long. The second movie should have been out in 2011 or 2012 at the latest. Also, Star Trek is not a mainstream thing as much as Paramount is trying to turn it into one. It's still a bit of a niche market. Finally, why all the secrecy surrounding the villian? Now that the truth is out and we've learned who Harrison really is I've found people around me going cool I'll have to see it now. They should have promoted the heck out of that IMO! The word of mouth seems to be good for the movie and I think that'll keep it standing.

That being said it's a forgone conclusion there will be a third movie. I think it'll be out by 2016 to mark the 50th anniversary. Whether JJ Abrams is involved or they trim the budget a little, we'll see.
timtonruben359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 06:56 PM   #730
Kpnuts
Commodore

Phily B wrote: View Post
I've been reading foreign BO and it appears, even if its doing poor relative to IM3, it's doing well compared to ST09 and is also holding very well in these markets, so WOM is strong.
That takes stating the obvious to a whole new level.

We've been saying that for the past week.
Kpnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 07:26 PM   #731
indranee
Vice Admiral

King Daniel wrote: View Post
If they want kids to see it, they need an animated series. Kids get into a light, fun animated Trek, then it's "ZOMFG THEY'RE DOING A MOVIE" and they'll spam the box office for STXIII.
Yes, besides, it's high time we had another animated Trek series!
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 07:36 PM   #732
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

The actuals are out for Iron Man 3 ($35,770,094) and The Great Gatsby ($23,939,228). Both went up a little from their estimates. Hopefully the same will be true for STiD.

Edit to add: the actuals for STiD went down from the estimate, but only very slightly: $$70,165,559 for the 3-day weekend and $83,701,981 for the first 4.5 days.
Old May 20 2013, 07:47 PM   #733
Flake
Commodore

Booooo...

Next up then, Monday Numbers. I am no expert on American school holidays (or vacation as you guys say) but assuming the kids are still at school the target is $7,502,026 for Monday
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 07:49 PM   #734
The Keeper
Commodore

Speaking of WOM and it having legs, we treated a hardcore Warsie to the film when we went. Afterward he said he really liked it and, at my prompting, agreed to spread good WOM to his Warsie friends. He also asked about TOS being available on Netfilx claiming he was interested in watching it in its entirety.

I won't be surprised if we can still catch screenings of ID as late as Labor Day!
The Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 08:24 PM   #735
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

Hmm... I really don't know what to think anymore. I'd love to see STID scrape $500m, my gut instinct is saying anywhere between $400-450m.