IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 20 2013, 01:42 AM   #661
beamMe
Fleet Captain

Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
It is true. A day or two before opening day Paramount was forecasting a $20 million Wed/Thu and an $80 million 3-day weekend, for a total of $100 million. It's that forecast that Box Office Guru was referring to.
And?
If they had read in the tea-leaves that it will make 75 million, you'd now declare the film a brilliant success?
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 01:47 AM   #662
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

beamMe wrote: View Post
If they had read in the tea-leaves that it will make 75 million, you'd now declare the film a brilliant success?
This does touch on what's the real issue here: the opening weekend failed some overreaching last minute expectations. That's not the same thing at all as it having missed an important financial target indicating that it's not successful and isn't already doing very well for the studio.

Two weeks ago, when the expectations were at around 80 to 85 million dollars, no one at Paramount was sweating bullets about that fact.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 01:50 AM   #663
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

beamMe wrote: View Post
And?
Why are you trying to pin every part of this conversation into such extremes? Some things I've pointed out about the film's performance have been negative, while others have been positive. I think another sequel is assured.

The film opened below Paramount's pre-release expectations. Domestic box office will likely drop from the first film and be at least somewhat disappointing to Paramount, but foreign box office is showing good growth. None of these should be seen as controversial statements.
Old May 20 2013, 02:00 AM   #664
Neumann
Captain

View Neumann's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Neumann

In fact. Why not?

The trek ensamble could have some update and expansion. chekov was the ruskie that showed token tolerance. We need a Robau type (middle eastern or Indian subcontinent) security chief and maybe another female character. Even borrow some from the star trek pitch.
Old May 20 2013, 02:17 AM   #665
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
We were discussing what movies were widely talked about then, not what they made.
You said TWOK wasn't one of the biggest releases of that summer
I was replying to Trek God 1's remark about all the "spirited conversation" that TWOK supposedly engendered at the time.
Perhaps you were not around, but in a year where E.T., Rocky III, Poltergiest and other films made a splash, TWOK was well remembered at year's end. Paramount was more than pleased, unlike now, where nuTrek2 is not meeting studio debut expectations.

Few even care about nuTrek. Who is considering this film as a "must see" anything?
Old May 20 2013, 02:19 AM   #666
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

TWOK may have engendered some "spirited discussion" in some Star Trek clubs or something in 1982, but it wasn't one of the biggest releases of that summer and there wasn't much buzz about it among the general public. The skiffy movies that got most of the attention that year were E.T. and Blade Runner.
In the domestic market TWOK was the fourth highest grossing film of summer 1982 and the sixth highest grossing film of the year. Blade Runner was #27 for the year, although its reputation and influence have grown over the years.
TWOK was also notable for having the largest opening weekend gross of any film up to that point ($14.3 million) and of any film that year, 1982 -- even E.T. which went on to become the highest grossing film of all time (until Jurassic Park dethroned it). At the average price of $2.94 a ticket, TWOK sold approximately 4.9 million tickets that weekend at only 1,621 theaters. Remember that there were far fewer multiplexes in 1982.* That's an average of about 3,000 people watching TWOK at each theater from June 4th-June 6th, 1982.

STID is looking at a $70.6 million opening weekend. At an average ticket price of $7.94, that's 8.9 million tickets sold at 3,868 theaters on an estimated 10,100 screens. That's 2.4 times the number of theaters, yet it only sold 1.8 times the number of tickets as TWOK did in 1982. That's 2,300 people watching STID at each theater from May 17th-19th, 2013.

* I have no idea how many movie screens TWOK was on in 1982, but there were less than 20,000 indoor screens back then in the U.S. and today there are approximately 40,000.
Old May 20 2013, 02:21 AM   #667
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
Perhaps you were not around...
Perhaps I was very much around, an adult, and remember it all quite clearly. Nice try, anyway.

No one but trekkies considered TWOK a "must see" then. People now like to quote Pauline Kael's review lauding it, pretending that it was representative of critical reaction to the movie; it wasn't.
Old May 20 2013, 02:21 AM   #668
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

TWOK may have engendered some "spirited discussion" in some Star Trek clubs or something in 1982, but it wasn't one of the biggest releases of that summer and there wasn't much buzz about it among the general public. The skiffy movies that got most of the attention that year were E.T. and Blade Runner.
In the domestic market TWOK was the fourth highest grossing film of summer 1982 and the sixth highest grossing film of the year. Blade Runner was #27 for the year, although its reputation and influence have grown over the years.
Yes--meanwhile, nuTrek2 is already a deflated life raft compared to a film based on a 50-year old Marvel character who spent most of his decades being a B-list character at best.
Old May 20 2013, 02:23 AM   #669
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Few even care about nuTrek. Who is considering this film as a "must see" anything?
Plenty of people care about it and regard it as a must see. Whether quite enough people see it to fully justify the bigger budget remains to be seen once the worldwide gross has finished rolling in.
Old May 20 2013, 02:28 AM   #670
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Yes--meanwhile, nuTrek2 is already a deflated life raft...
Nope, sorry. 168 million dollars in a week is - what, twice TWOK's entire first-run gross? Go ahead, adjust for inflation, turn it inside out and upside down and it still knocks oldTrek flat.
Old May 20 2013, 02:29 AM   #671
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

Yes--meanwhile, nuTrek2 is already a deflated life raft compared to a film based on a 50-year old Marvel character who spent most of his decades being a B-list character at best.
It's taken a long time for comic books to get rid of the stigma, especially with so many duds over the years.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 02:31 AM   #672
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

No one but trekkies considered TWOK a "must see" then.
Then why did it set the record for the biggest opening weekend of all time in 1982?
Old May 20 2013, 02:34 AM   #673
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

The first four Trek films were home run hits in the domestic market, but only delivered meagre results in foreign box office (although TMP actually did pretty well abroad - it was more the sequels that dropped off in that regard). The sixth, seventh and eighth Trek films were solid successes, delivering good grosses for their relatively modest budgets, but foreign box office still lagged. Star Trek in 2009 was the first Trek film since the 1980s to be a Top 10 domestic hit for the year and it was the first step towards decent foreign grosses. STiD looks to slip somewhat domestically, while continuing to make big improvements in foreign box office.
Old May 20 2013, 02:38 AM   #674
RAMA
Vice Admiral

http://trekmovie.com/2013/05/18/into...international/
Old May 20 2013, 02:39 AM   #675
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

I really wonder how Trek might've done as a franchise had we got TWOK as the opening movie and not TMP...
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote