Perth Mint Voyager Coins
By: T'Bonz on Sep 1

Face Off To Feature Trek Makeup

Pegg Omaze Video Features Outtakes

Vulcan Ale – The Genesis Effect
By: T'Bonz on Aug 31

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 20 2013, 12:11 AM   #616
Dream
Admiral

Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
Dream wrote: View Post
All movies these days need to make more than double its budget to make a profit.
That's just not so. Why does anyone still believe that?
Are you kidding? That's common knowledge for anyone that follows the box office. Theaters still need to be paid, they end up with about half after a movie is done at theaters.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 12:12 AM   #617
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

King Daniel wrote: View Post
This thread is titled STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]. It's managed $84 million and the day isn't over yet.
It was originally tracking for $85-90 million for the three-day weekend and over $100 million for its first four days, so it's come in under that range with $84 million for the four-day opening.
Old May 20 2013, 12:13 AM   #618
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

That's common knowledge for anyone that follows the box office.
No. You mean it's one of those things that "everybody knows"...that just ain't so.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 12:14 AM   #619
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
King Daniel wrote: View Post
This thread is titled STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]. It's managed $84 million and the day isn't over yet.
It was originally tracking for $85-90 million for the three-day weekend and over $100 million for its first four days, so it's come in under that range with $84 million for the four-day opening.
Ah. In that case, bleh.
Old May 20 2013, 12:14 AM   #620
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
All movies these days need to make more than double its budget to make a profit.
That's just not so. Why does anyone still believe that?
Are you kidding? That's common knowledge for anyone that follows the box office. Theaters still need to be paid, they end up with about half after a movie is done at theaters.
I think it's a little more complicated than that.

One of the things I've always heard is that the theater percentage starts low and then rises the longer they're showing a film. So the slow start may be bad for Paramount but good for theaters if the movie has legs.
Old May 20 2013, 12:15 AM   #621
Phily B
Commodore

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

I am not Spock wrote: View Post
Does 190 mil include marketing budget?
No, but it's rarely factored in unless the marketing was insane. The marketing in foreign markets appears to be paying off at least.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 12:15 AM   #622
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

The business model has shifted. Most of a film's revenues come from ancillary revenue (PPV, DVD, Blu-ray, TV), so a film can make a profit with box office lower than 2X its budget. But for it to make enough of a profit to get a sequel it generally needs at least 2X its budget, and preferably around 2.4X or 2.5X its budget, although there are exceptions.
Old May 20 2013, 12:17 AM   #623
Dream
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
One of the things I've always heard is that the theater percentage starts low and then rises the longer they're showing a film. So the slow start may be bad for Paramount but good for theaters if the movie has legs.
Yes, that is more accurate. However, movies these days generally need at least 2X its budget to get a sequel.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 12:34 AM   #624
I am not Spock
Commodore

I've seen a lot of bitchy Trekkies whining about the movie, on social media. Before they've even seen it. It seems a lot of fans are biting the hand that feeds them. Also, unless you have a thick skin, I'd advise you to stay away from the IMDB board for STID. This place is very civil, compared to there.

It also seems Trek has a glass ceiling. No matter how much you reboot it, it seems impossible to shake that damned stigma.
Old May 20 2013, 12:42 AM   #625
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

RAMA wrote: View Post
Where did I say "hit film"?? I said it is not a flop if it covers cost. Once you do that you go into different degrees of success based on profit. Considering it came close to covering it's cost in a very short time, the degree of success with it's likely profit seems likely to reach "hit" status.
Remember, you have not established if the 180-90 million includes promotional budget, and if it does not, then ST has a very long way to go. Also, you said its not a flop if it covers cost, but that's not even close to what the studio is interested in. Obviously, the first hurdle is that production budget, but it is only at that point when the profits come in, and again, with typical box office for any film shrinking with every week--and the ST opening week not being all that impressive (we're not talking Iron Man, here!), the final haul may not be a significant improvement over the 1st movie.

IF ST2 falls below the earnings of the 1st, this is not a case where it does not matter, as the sequel was so compelling that audiences were drooling for another entry before the credits rolled (ex. The Empire Strikes Back not earning as much as Star Wars, but created a frenzy for more). This film is not exactly sending off fireworks of excitement, or being that great sequel which makes bold moves forward for the principals (TWOK).

There are lots of ways to make money.
But the 1st threshold is the physical box office; the studio would not be satisfied to spend that much money, not get a bonafide hit, only to hope the home video market gives it the life it did not earn the first time around.
Old May 20 2013, 12:48 AM   #626
royalfan5
Fleet Captain

Honestly, with the marketing budget, I think you have to separate that from the film to a degree, because no matter the year, Paramount is going to spend a lot of money marketing its slate of films, which will always include a tentpole or intended blockbuster that they want everyone to know about.
Old May 20 2013, 12:48 AM   #627
beamMe
Commodore

Will you people all get a grip! The movie isn't even out a week in the US.
All this doom and gloom is ridiculous.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 12:50 AM   #628
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I am not Spock wrote: View Post
It also seems Trek has a glass ceiling.
But, of course, the apparent "glass ceiling" for nuTrek is hundreds of millions of dollars higher than for oldTrek.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 12:52 AM   #629
Neumann
Captain

View Neumann's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Neumann

The glass ceiling can and could be taken apart. It is far simpler than most people think.
Star trek needs to evolve to become somewhat more edgy and smart by trying to blur the gender difference it seems to permanently have.

There was one study that showed that the common star trek fan was a married woman who didnt go to conventions, get dressed up or did any of those stigmatizing things.
Also, star trek's focus requires a hook for teens, as most of us became trekkies then.
None of the trailers i've seen seem to be after them. They still can promote the movie this week with such focus and build up numbers.

Show more of the fun stuff and show kirk, spock and uhura a bit more!
Old May 20 2013, 12:58 AM   #630
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

beamMe wrote: View Post
Will you people all get a grip! The movie isn't even out a week in the US.
All this doom and gloom is ridiculous.
But par for the course as far as the internet is concerned. I've already been to a few sites which a few have already declared it a flop and that this is the end of Trek forever.

Uh-huh...