Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 18 2013, 06:31 PM   #331
The Transformed Man
Commander

View The Transformed Man's Twitter Profile
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
If STiD grosses around $400 million worldwide Paramount will likely greenlight a third Bad Robot Trek film, but look to bring the budget back down to about $150 million. A much cheaper director would be part of lowering the cost, as would forgoing filming in IMAX.
It's really not a matter of a cheaper director, Abrams can do cheaper, but you would need to scale back the scope of the story (seriously, all $200 million of that budget was on glorious display). Just the final reel of Into Darkness dwarfed the cale of Star Trek's I-X combined.

Yancy
Old May 18 2013, 06:33 PM   #332
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I also think scattering the release dates across such a wide time period may have hurt it. The States essentially knew the whole movie by the time it released here.
Old May 18 2013, 06:38 PM   #333
The Transformed Man
Commander

View The Transformed Man's Twitter Profile

BillJ wrote: View Post
I also think scattering the release dates across such a wide time period may have hurt it. The States essentially knew the whole movie by the time it released here.
Agreed. I think a worldwide release in late April would have been perfect for this movie... give it a jumpstart before Ironman.
Old May 18 2013, 06:41 PM   #334
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

I think it's off to a good start and will do well at the box office. Considering before STXI, only one film in the franchise ever grossed $100 million in the U.S., the box office performance is remarkable. Despite Star Trek's popularity, it's never been a box office juggernaut. But the relaunch has improved them as a box office performer.

I think Paramount made a mistake by releasing it a day earlier on only about a week's notice. You need to do that well ahead of time and not on the fly to confuse audiences about release time.

Keep in mind that Iron Man 3 and Gatsby are strong holdovers and that next week, The Hangover III and Fast and Furious 6 are coming out. Star Trek is going to have to deal with a LOT of competition.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 06:42 PM   #335
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

It's funny how things have changed.
And how a critically acclaimed Trek film that will probably end up making 400 million or more (without considering dvd/blu-ray profits) has everyone panicking,some even considering it a screwup and a possible franchise killer flop.

I love the internet.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 06:48 PM   #336
Franklin
Rear Admiral

The Transformed Man wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Agreed. I think a worldwide release in late April would have been perfect for this movie... give it a jumpstart before Ironman.
The entire marketing strategy of this movie baffled me. The domestic tie-ins, promotions, and merchandise seemed lacking this time. Timing may not have been perfect, but a lot of that can't be contolled. Still, did they focus too much on cultivating non-U.S. markets at the neglect of a balls-to-the-wall U.S. campaign? Even if they did, the net effect from trying to grow the overseas market may be more overall revenue than ST09 made. And money is money no matter where on Earth it comes from.

Of course, we're "Star Trek" fans, and so we're going to panic at the first chance. Frankly, it looks as if it will likely fall in or near the $85 to $90 million range originally predicted for its domestic opening. It needs to do $50 million this Saturday and Sunday to meet that. That seems quite possible.
Old May 18 2013, 06:59 PM   #337
Roald
Commander

Titanic made 28 million its opening weekend, eventually gathering more than 600 million in the US alone... The first Narnia 'only' made 65 million, and went on to make almost 300 (!) in the US... Maybe STID will be grower like those films... Word-of-mouth seems decent, like the reviews... It could happen.
Roald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 07:00 PM   #338
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

The Transformed Man wrote: View Post
It's really not a matter of a cheaper director, Abrams can do cheaper, but you would need to scale back the scope of the story (seriously, all $200 million of that budget was on glorious display). Just the final reel of Into Darkness dwarfed the cale of Star Trek's I-X combined.
Abrams isn't going to direct the next Trek film. That's clear. So a cheaper director can be, and likely will be, part of the equation in bringing costs down.
Old May 18 2013, 07:08 PM   #339
thumbtack
Commodore

Franklin wrote: View Post
Fans themselves posting stuff on boards about "magic blood" (it's not) and plagiarizng lines form TWOK (it really doesn't) may be the worst enemies of this film.
Fanboys killed Star Trek? Seems unlikely. But it's not for lack of trying. If only they understood that killing Star Trek for 10-12 years does not lead to a low budget/low ambition tv series made just for them.
Old May 18 2013, 07:18 PM   #340
Flake
Commodore

I didn't like the last third of the movie very much at all and I have said so. I can't force myself to like it. It definitely will rub some fans the wrong way and the message boards will reflect this. The writers must have known that the content of their script would not go down well with fanboys on the internet.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 07:22 PM   #341
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Roald wrote: View Post
Titanic made 28 million its opening weekend, eventually gathering more than 600 million in the US alone... The first Narnia 'only' made 65 million, and went on to make almost 300 (!) in the US... Maybe STID will be grower like those films... Word-of-mouth seems decent, like the reviews... It could happen.
Certain box office patterns prevail for different types of films released at different times of the year. December releases tend to have smaller openings and longer legs than summer releases. Standalones or the first film in a series tend to have longer legs than sequels. There are always exceptions - and hopefully STiD turns out to be one of them - but the odds are against it.
Old May 18 2013, 07:29 PM   #342
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

If it doubles its budget with a good OS % a third will be greenlit, the problem is that no one can work out why this film is doing bad. There are guesses, but its confused everyone - some movies just do this.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 07:31 PM   #343
BillJ
Admiral

Phily B wrote: View Post
If it doubles its budget with a good OS % a third will be greenlit, the problem is that no one can work out why this film is doing bad. There are guesses, but its confused everyone - some movies just do this.
It could be as simple as them putting it in between two franchises people were more willing to spend money on.
Old May 18 2013, 07:32 PM   #344
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Flake wrote: View Post
I didn't like the last third of the movie very much at all and I have said so. I can't force myself to like it. It definitely will rub some fans the wrong way and the message boards will reflect this. The writers must have known that the content of their script would not go down well with fanboys on the internet.
Nothing goes down well with the fanboys, other than the same old stuff they covet feverishly, so they were right in simply not giving a shit.
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 07:33 PM   #345
BillJ
Admiral

Phily B wrote: View Post
Is that 'double its production budget' ($180 million) or 'double what Paramount spent on it' ($280 million)?