Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 26 2013, 04:13 PM   #2446
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

sonak wrote: View Post
The original X-MEN only made about $150 million in domestic box office. And what was "Blade's" box office take?

"Spider-Man" made $400 million, really ushering in the superhero blockbuster.
That wasn't Dream's original claim, though. And your response didn't mention blockbusters. You said "kicked it off", which I took to mean "was the first popular outing". Well X-Men was rather popular.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 04:30 PM   #2447
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Blade was exciting when it came out and I think it demonstrated how to present comic book material onscreen and make it palatable and sucessful to a wide audience. I think it easily could have been the blueprint for the Marvel movie era.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 05:25 PM   #2448
sonak
Vice Admiral

Belz... wrote: View Post
The original X-MEN only made about $150 million in domestic box office. And what was "Blade's" box office take?

"Spider-Man" made $400 million, really ushering in the superhero blockbuster.
That wasn't Dream's original claim, though. And your response didn't mention blockbusters. You said "kicked it off", which I took to mean "was the first popular outing". Well X-Men was rather popular.

Well if that's the claim, it's still wrong. There had already been four Superman movies, and the fourth Batman film had come out a year before Blade. I don't think that "Blade," which didn't even do $100 million domestically, and was R-rated, really "kicked off" modern comic book movies.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 06:04 PM   #2449
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

There have been three waves of comic book movies since 1978. Superman in 1978 kicked off the first (small) wave. Batman in 1989 kicked off the second (bigger) wave. That second wave was faltering in the late 1990s, especially with the failure of Batman & Robin in 1997.

Blade, which was released in 1998, wasn't perceived by most moviegoers as a superhero film, but it played an important function behind the scenes, acording to Avi Arad, in that it strengthened Marvel's hand in getting studios more interested in their properties, which helped lead to X-Men in 2000, which is the film that I would say kicked off the third (much bigger) wave that continues to this day. Spider-Man in 2002 kicked things up to an even higher level, demonstrating that superhero films could be worldwide mega-blockbusters (the genre had tended to be much stronger domestically than internationally prior to that).
Old June 26 2013, 06:13 PM   #2450
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Well if that's the claim, it's still wrong. There had already been four Superman movies, and the fourth Batman film had come out a year before Blade.
The Superman and Batman movies had become a joke in the early 80s and early 90s, respectively. The Superhero genre had failed to take off prior to Blade and X-Men. The fact of the matter is that those two movies paved the way to the modern Superhero genre. I'm fully aware that more successful ones came later, but that's not how I understand the claim made in this thread.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Old June 26 2013, 06:31 PM   #2451
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
There have been three waves of comic book movies since 1978. Superman in 1978 kicked off the first (small) wave. Batman in 1989 kicked off the second (bigger) wave. That second wave was faltering in the late 1990s, especially with the failure of Batman & Robin in 1997.

Blade, which was released in 1998, wasn't perceived by most moviegoers as a superhero film, but it played an important function behind the scenes, acording to Avi Arad, in that it strengthened Marvel's hand in getting studios more interested in their properties, which helped lead to X-Men in 2000, which is the film that I would say kicked off the third (much bigger) wave that continues to this day. Spider-Man in 2002 kicked things up to an even higher level, demonstrating that superhero films could be worldwide mega-blockbusters (the genre had tended to be much stronger domestically than internationally prior to that).
I approve of this message.
Old June 26 2013, 07:43 PM   #2452
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Tuesday number: $479,917 for $217,649,868 so far.
Old June 26 2013, 08:18 PM   #2453
sonak
Vice Admiral

Well if that's the claim, it's still wrong. There had already been four Superman movies, and the fourth Batman film had come out a year before Blade.
The Superman and Batman movies had become a joke in the early 80s and early 90s, respectively. The Superhero genre had failed to take off prior to Blade and X-Men. The fact of the matter is that those two movies paved the way to the modern Superhero genre. I'm fully aware that more successful ones came later, but that's not how I understand the claim made in this thread.

Both "X-Men" and "Blade" made LESS than "batman returns" and "batman forever." Far from "becoming a joke," "Batman Returns" and "Batman Forever" were successfull blockbusters. Only "Batman and Robin" was a bomb, and that was '97.

"Blade"--- $70 million 1998

"X-Men"--- $150 million 2000

"Batman Returns"--- $162 million 1992

"Batman Forever"---- $184 million 1995

I can maybe buy the argument that "X-Men" got the foot in the door, but I don't buy that it was "Blade." It wasn't a blockbuster, wasn't thought of as a superhero movie, and was R-rated.

I still go with "Spider-Man" starting the modern wave.
Old June 26 2013, 08:25 PM   #2454
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Both "X-Men" and "Blade" made LESS than "batman returns" and "batman forever." Far from "becoming a joke," "Batman Returns" and "Batman Forever" were successfull blockbusters. Only "Batman and Robin" was a bomb, and that was '97.
Yeah, people often lump the Schumacher films together these days, but Batman Forever was a big hit. If Schumacher had kept things at that level, rather than dialing it up to 11, he probably would have ended up making Batman films for some time to come.

I'd say X-Men started it and Spider-Man super-charged it.
Old June 26 2013, 08:31 PM   #2455
sonak
Vice Admiral

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Yeah, people often lump the Schumacher films together these days, but Batman Forever was a big hit. If Schumacher had kept things at that level, rather than dialing it up to 11, he probably would have ended up making Batman films for some time to come.

I'd say X-Men started it and Spider-Man super-charged it.

agreed on the Schumacher thing

and I can go with the "X-Men started it, Spider-Man super-charged it" argument.
Old June 26 2013, 09:03 PM   #2456
Flake
Commodore

I didnt realise Blade was a comic book character until about 10 years later

I think Spiderman started the current wave that shows no sign of stopping this time. X-Men alone wouldn't have been enough imo.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 09:10 PM   #2457
Dream
Admiral

I said Blade started the current superhero craze, not that it was the most popular. It was successful with using a superhero character, leading the other studios to take more chances with the genre.

If you want to argue most popular superhero movie, that would be the Avengers, but that didn't start anything.
Old June 26 2013, 09:19 PM   #2458
Belz...
Fleet Captain

For the last time: I'm not talking about how much money they made.

Old June 26 2013, 09:31 PM   #2459
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Most of the public saw Blade as a vampire action movie, not as a superhero movie. It opened some doors for Marvel behind the scenes, but it was X-Men and Spider-Man that made a big impact in terms of general audience and media perceptions of superhero movies and that led the studios to develop more movies in the genre.
Old June 26 2013, 09:37 PM   #2460
sonak
Vice Admiral

For the last time: I'm not talking about how much money they made.

uh-huh. So what did you mean by "take off" or "become a joke?" How does one rate the success or failure of a big-budget comic book movie if not by box office?