TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 22 2013, 09:07 AM   #2341
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Beyerstein wrote: View Post
How would number of tickets sold not be the best way to measure the popularity of movies during their theatrical runs?
Because The Motion Picture, for example, seems to be wildly unpopular with people even though it has been the most successful Trek film at the box office.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 09:17 AM   #2342
Dream
Admiral

How would number of tickets sold not be the best way to measure the popularity of movies during their theatrical runs?
It's not about how many tickets are sold, since that would decrease every year. Studios only release data on how much money movie a movie makes since that tends to stay the same or increase every year.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 09:21 AM   #2343
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Because The Motion Picture, for example, seems to be wildly unpopular with people even though it has been the most successful Trek film at the box office.
Also, when TMP opened in Sydney, Australia, in December 1979, it was only available in one cinema in the Central Business District. By the time the 1980 Easter school holidays had come along, a few new prints had arrived Down Under and the film had begun to appear in large suburban cinemas for short runs. By the August school holidays, it was appearing in the smaller civic centre one-day-only school holiday screenings, and in cinemas in the country towns of New South Wales. It was a very different world.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 09:40 AM   #2344
Beyerstein
Captain

Dream wrote: View Post
It's not about how many tickets are sold, since that would decrease every year. Studios only release data on how much money movie a movie makes since that tends to stay the same or increase every year.
Yeah but if you just wanna know how many people went to see a movie and compare it with a movie from a different time frame tickets sold would be the best metrik.

I mean, albums sales have dramatically decreased but they still report it

I think if you're comparing the success of different films, ticket price is kind of irrelevant. A movie does business by people buying a ticket and going to see it. If that cost more or less over time doesn't matter, its the number of people who went that counts.
Beyerstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 10:12 AM   #2345
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

Some issues:

- Ten tickets sold in a population of ten people is great. Everybody experiences the film; perhaps it's very popular. Only fifty people showing up to watch another film in a population of a thousand, maybe not as great. Do you consider the second film five times as popular as the first, or only five percent as popular, or what? Larger markets support pieces of more marginal interest, that aren't necessarily popular overall.

- If a theater only seats 100, and shows sell out, that's good. Indications are that the movie showing there is popular, and very possibly more could have been seated. If a theater seats 1000 in a large market, but only 100 buy tickets, that's not as good. Both count the same number of tickets sold, but there's likely a different thing going on in terms of popular interest.

- A movie that has only a limited release or limited showtimes can't rack up very many tickets no matter what. Maybe if people saw it, they'd like it. But if they don't have the opportunity to decide whether or not to see it, how can you really say it's unpopular?
Old June 22 2013, 10:44 AM   #2346
Belz...
Fleet Captain

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
How is that relevant, considering the question you were answering ?

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
- If a theater only seats 100, and shows sell out, that's good. Indications are that the movie showing there is popular, and very possibly more could have been seated. If a theater seats 1000 in a large market, but only 100 buy tickets, that's not as good. Both count the same number of tickets sold, but there's likely a different thing going on in terms of popular interest.
Yeah but nation- or worldwide would average that out.

I think ticket # has the advantage of showing how many people saw it, while gross allows us to get at least a vague idea of profit. Adjusted is just a way to compare movies across time. None of those is very useful, just interesting.
Old June 22 2013, 10:58 AM   #2347
JamesRye
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Apparently F/X channel have purchased the TV rights for Into Darkness, but I cant find any information regarding the price.
JamesRye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 11:18 AM   #2348
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

So what would be a useful formula to determine the movie success index factoring in average ticket price, population percentage, total profit, adjusted inflation, number of screens/seats.

After you do that you measure the index of every competing movie at the time and calculate how that impacted the movie.

Would that be sufficient to determine if it was a success?
Timelord Victorious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 01:18 PM   #2349
Cyrus
Rear Admiral

Attendance numbers are also not something that can be used to make a fair comparison of the movies from different eras, basically not much different that the inflation adjusted box office numbers.

The inflation adjusted boxoffice numbers are not based on the general inflation or dollar value, they are based on ticket price inflation and estimated attendance. They multiply the attendance number by the latest average ticket price (currently at $7.94) to get the inflation adjusted boxoffice. If there are no attendance numbers available then they create one based on average ticket price of the year the movie was released.

For example the average ticket price in 1982 was $2.94, TWOK boxoffice was $78.9M, resulting an estimated attendance of 26.8 million. Multiplying that by the 2013 average ticket price of $7.94 creates the inflation adjusted boxoffice number of $213.1.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 01:27 PM   #2350
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Population is a lot bigger nowadays, so more available eyes. Entertainment choices are more vast now. Back then, if you wanted to see a movie, seeing it at the theater was the only choice. More competition now.

The most meaningful metric would be probably be to compare and tabulate the numbers for the movies in a specified year (Attendance, box office take, profit) and see what percentages of the total your specific movie that you want to compare to accomplished. Then do the same thing with the other movie you want to compare

GWTW made $100
GWTW sold 100 tickets
Total Box office for year was $1000
Total tickets sold in the year was 1000
GWTW took 10% of Total Box Office
GWTW sold 10% of the tickets sold that year
Do the same with profit
Then do the same for the movie you are comparing it to, and see how they measure up

Even this has it's problems, but, it's closer, IMHO

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?

Last edited by Sindatur; June 22 2013 at 01:44 PM.
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 01:29 PM   #2351
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Im thinking the sheer number of spectacles this summer (and World War Z is a spectacle, and teen/20s reaction seems to be positive) is making STID die a little sooner, same with the other films. IM3 had the benefit of an early start to go with it's universal popularity. Still think it's odd because both STID and MoS are light years better....but I digress...

The WW total stands at $415,310,916 and it looks like only these late foreign openings will keep STID in the $440-450 million range.
Old June 22 2013, 03:22 PM   #2352
The Transformed Man
Commander

View The Transformed Man's Twitter Profile

Monster's University opened huge with an estimated $79 million, and World War Z looks to take in $62 million. Man of Steel collapsed (as I expected) taking in an estimate $42 million in it's second weekend.

Still waiting on numbers for STID.

Yancy
Old June 22 2013, 03:30 PM   #2353
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Damn Man Of Steel is making a ton of money. No wonder Warners is thrilled.

Let's hope the next Trek doesn't have to go up against it in 2016
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 03:34 PM   #2354
Lance
Commodore

Nothing to do with how it's tracking globally, but I thought I'd share this.

My local cinema screened it for barely three weeks and then moved onto other movies, dropping STID from the schedule.

I dunno. Maybe I'm old fashioned. But you know, back in the old days even the lowest grossing movies would usually be given at least a month, even if their screenings per day were pared right back to the bare minimum required.

I don't know if it's because the digital age means it's easier for small-town cinemas to just ditch movies that don't smash their own localized box office instantly, or whether it's just that my particular local cinema only has four screens and Star Trek didn't do enough locally to justify keeping other, more potentially profitable upcoming movies from taking it's spot. But to my mind, three weeks seems to be a stupidly short amount of time for any movie to be in a theater.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 04:35 PM   #2355
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

Belz... wrote: View Post
CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Yeah but nation- or worldwide would average that out.
That's conjecture. What does it even mean in this case, to "average out"?

Once you've answered that, apply it to a different era, when there were far fewer theaters, like, say, the silent era in 1915.