RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,898
Posts: 5,387,061
Members: 24,717
Currently online: 569
Newest member: teriankhoka

TrekToday headlines

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 11 2013, 05:53 PM   #1996
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore
 
LOKAI of CHERON's Avatar
 
Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

johnjm22 wrote: View Post
Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
ST 6 is a pretty sucky movie - a cheap-looking, clumsy flick that tries to sustain itself on a badly constructed mystery plot that doesn't work.
Funny, I think 6 is the best looking out of all of them. Easily the best set designs and most "real" looking ships. The only thing that doesn't look good IMO is the floating CGI Klingon blood.
Agreed. It doesn't look anymore or less cheap than movies II-V IMO.
__________________
YOU MONOTONE HUMANS ARE ALL ALIKE... FIRST YOU CONDEMN, THEN ATTACK.
LOKAI of CHERON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 05:57 PM   #1997
johnjm22
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Location: California
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

BillJ wrote: View Post
I love The Undiscovered Country.

But...

Many of the sets do look cheap and in the end battle the lighting of the Enterprise and Excelsior looks really off making them look "plasticky". The mystery plot isn't exactly "deep" but the movie is saved by the character moments including Kirk's "Let them die!" and Gorkon's death scenes.
I think the sets look great.

Overall I like the way the film looks because they were still primarily using models as opposed to CGI. With some of the newer movies (TNG and Abrams stuff), some parts look too "cartoony."

I always appreciated the maturity that Meyers brought to Star Trek. He didn't portray Klingons as meat heads, and his films always had the best dialog.
johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 06:33 PM   #1998
Borgminister
Moderator
 
Location: California
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

How many did he direct, since you said "films"?

Never mind--Wrath of Khan and The Undiscovered Country. Answered my own question.
Borgminister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 06:34 PM   #1999
gottacook
Commander
 
Location: Maryland
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

As for some parts looking too "cartoony": That's the problem I have with all CGI-heavy movies. Once you see enough of them, CGI effects look as fake as the process shots in the train scene at the end of the Marx Brothers' Go West (1940). I lament the modelmaking talent that has gone to waste in the past 15-20 years.

Whether CGI and its products are inherently less preferable is a question analogous to the one at the center of John Varley's "The Unprocessed Word," perhaps.

I enjoyed TUC in the theater in '91 and found nothing substandard about the effects. Hated the digital clock atop the main viewer, though.
gottacook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 06:43 PM   #2000
Opus
Commodore
 
Opus's Avatar
 
Location: Bloom County
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
ST 6 is a pretty sucky movie - a cheap-looking, clumsy flick that tries to sustain itself on a badly constructed mystery plot that doesn't work.
I agree. It was done quick, and on the cheap. And it shows.

I have that feeling with all TNG movies as well. The audience wasn't getting their money's worth paying for a film that they could get on their TV every week for free. Wasted opportunity.
__________________
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 06:46 PM   #2001
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

gottacook wrote: View Post
As for some parts looking too "cartoony": That's the problem I have with all CGI-heavy movies. Once you see enough of them, CGI effects look as fake as the process shots in the train scene at the end of the Marx Brothers' Go West (1940). I lament the modelmaking talent that has gone to waste in the past 15-20 years.

Whether CGI and its products are inherently less preferable is a question analogous to the one at the center of John Varley's "The Unprocessed Word," perhaps.

I enjoyed TUC in the theater in '91 and found nothing substandard about the effects. Hated the digital clock atop the main viewer, though.
I would say that both model work and CGI work have their places in film. It's knowing which will work best and using it at that time.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 06:51 PM   #2002
johnjm22
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Location: California
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Borgminister wrote: View Post
How many did he direct, since you said "films"?

Never mind--Wrath of Khan and The Undiscovered Country. Answered my own question.
He was also involved in the writing of The Voyage Home.

I don't think it's a coincidence that arguably the 3 best Trek films all involved Meyer.

On a side note, I read somewhere that when JJ Abrams was a kid his parents were friends with Nick Meyer and they'd often have him over for dinner. Kind of ironic that they both turned out to be ST directors.
johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 07:22 PM   #2003
Ovation
Vice Admiral
 
Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

johnjm22 wrote: View Post
Borgminister wrote: View Post
How many did he direct, since you said "films"?

Never mind--Wrath of Khan and The Undiscovered Country. Answered my own question.
He was also involved in the writing of The Voyage Home.

I don't think it's a coincidence that arguably the 3 best Trek films all involved Meyer.

On a side note, I read somewhere that when JJ Abrams was a kid his parents were friends with Nick Meyer and they'd often have him over for dinner. Kind of ironic that they both turned out to be ST directors.
What? He was involved with the Abrams movies?

(I kid, I kid--I wouldn't presume to dictate to another what his favourite films should be. But the door was left open.)
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 07:31 PM   #2004
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral
 
Out Of My Vulcan Mind's Avatar
 
Location: Wherever you go, there you are.
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Monday's take: $1,334,349 for $201,200,543 to date. By comparison, Star Trek made $1,272,135 on the Monday after its fourth weekend. We're into the part of the summer where weekday numbers are elevated, so that'll help STiD's legs.
__________________
"I'll see you in another life, brother."
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 07:34 PM   #2005
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

johnjm22 wrote: View Post
Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
ST 6 is a pretty sucky movie - a cheap-looking, clumsy flick that tries to sustain itself on a badly constructed mystery plot that doesn't work.
Funny, I think 6 is the best looking out of all of them. Easily the best set designs and most "real" looking ships. The only thing that doesn't look good IMO is the floating CGI Klingon blood.

It was very cheap, they couldnt even buy the new uniforms Meyer wanted. You can see rips and such on the uniforms on screen if you look closely enough. I still think a lot of the "cheap" TV look from STVI is because it was filmed in Super 35.

RAMA
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 07:35 PM   #2006
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Monday's take: $1,334,349 for $201,200,543 to date. By comparison, Star Trek made $1,272,135 on the Monday after its fourth weekend.

Yup, this movie will have "legs" still on the strength of it's reviews and word of mouth. $230 million domestic is a cinch, I think it may do slightly more. 4th of July weekend always gives a slight bump to older movies.

MacLeod wrote: View Post
gottacook wrote: View Post
As for some parts looking too "cartoony": That's the problem I have with all CGI-heavy movies. Once you see enough of them, CGI effects look as fake as the process shots in the train scene at the end of the Marx Brothers' Go West (1940). I lament the modelmaking talent that has gone to waste in the past 15-20 years.

Whether CGI and its products are inherently less preferable is a question analogous to the one at the center of John Varley's "The Unprocessed Word," perhaps.

I enjoyed TUC in the theater in '91 and found nothing substandard about the effects. Hated the digital clock atop the main viewer, though.
I would say that both model work and CGI work have their places in film. It's knowing which will work best and using it at that time.
My contention has been the CGI in ST09 and STID has been the best of it's kind. The equal of any space FX I've seen as well as planets AND surfaces.

RAMA
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 07:42 PM   #2007
johnjm22
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Location: California
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

RAMA wrote: View Post
It was very cheap, they couldnt even buy the new uniforms Meyer wanted. You can see rips and such on the uniforms on screen if you look closely enough.
I know. I also remember Meyer saying they had to dig up old set pieces at the last minute and try and salvage them. All that said, I still looks better than any ST film before or since.

A lot of Trek films have been made on cheap budgets and tight deadlines. But sometimes things like that work from a creative perspective.

TWOK was made on a ridiculously low budget, and is still vastly superior to most other Trek films.
johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 07:58 PM   #2008
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore
 
LOKAI of CHERON's Avatar
 
Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

A low budget doesn't necessarily correlate to a "cheap" appearance on screen.
__________________
YOU MONOTONE HUMANS ARE ALL ALIKE... FIRST YOU CONDEMN, THEN ATTACK.
LOKAI of CHERON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 08:42 PM   #2009
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
A low budget doesn't necessarily correlate to a "cheap" appearance on screen.
Well..

I still think a lot of the "cheap" TV look from STVI is because it was filmed in Super 35.
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 09:04 PM   #2010
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore
 
LOKAI of CHERON's Avatar
 
Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

RAMA wrote: View Post
LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
A low budget doesn't necessarily correlate to a "cheap" appearance on screen.
Well..

I still think a lot of the "cheap" TV look from STVI is because it was filmed in Super 35.
OK, you think it looks "cheap" because it was shot on Super 35 - I don't agree. All the movies I own shot on Super 35, including Titanic and Terminator 2, do not, IMHO, look any the worse for it either.

What is it about Super 35 that makes it look "cheap" for you?
__________________
YOU MONOTONE HUMANS ARE ALL ALIKE... FIRST YOU CONDEMN, THEN ATTACK.
LOKAI of CHERON is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.