RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,713
Members: 24,835
Currently online: 566
Newest member: SB118_T'Mar

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 17 2013, 09:27 PM   #181
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Phily B wrote: View Post
I think it's more likely they'd just not increase the budget, if it does well overseas and gets 200m+ along with 200m+ domestic it should be okay.
If it does, say, $400 million worldwide that would be a bit soft for a $180-190 million budget. They would likely reduce the budget back to around $150 million. To get another sequel at this budget level it probably needs to do in the high 400s or over 500 worldwide.
Old May 17 2013, 09:41 PM   #182
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
I think it's more likely they'd just not increase the budget, if it does well overseas and gets 200m+ along with 200m+ domestic it should be okay.
If it does, say, $400 million worldwide that would be a bit soft for a $180-190 million budget. They would likely reduce the budget back to around $150 million. To get another sequel at this budget level it probably needs to do in the high 400s or over 500 worldwide.
I have to admit that I'm still surprised by today's box office realities. It wasn't too long ago that a $300m box office total was considered great. Now every big film has a huge budget and Avatar and the Avengers have shifted the paradigm and studios are only satisfied with CRAZY money.

By the way, thanks for your avatar. It's been awhile since I've seen Season 1 Sarah. Good memories.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 09:49 PM   #183
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
I'll always buy whatever Deadline.com is selling:

‘Star Trek Into Darkness’ On Track For $27M Friday And $88M Weekend; International Cume Already $47M

FRIDAY 1 PM, 3RD UPDATE: My sources say early matinees are very strong for Star Trek Into Darkness from Paramount Pictures, Skydance Productions, and director J.J. Abrams‘ Bad Robot. It continued its domestic run today in 3,762 theaters with a refined number of $13.4 million from Wednesday’s 336 IMAX late shows and Thursday’s midnights and then yesterday’s wide release. Today’s grosses are almost double Thursday’s and an early read of noon averages is ranging from $25M to $27M Friday and $80M to $88M for the 3-day weekend - with a prediction of $100M for the first four days. Abrams’ first 2009 installment of the long-running film franchise opened to $30.1M Friday (without a Thursday start) and $79M for the first weekend. Fandango reports the new pic’s ticket sales are outpacing the first movie at the same point in the cycle and 55% of surveyed filmgoers plan to see it more than once. Over 80% of MovieTickets sales are for Star Trek Into Darkness and that’s led to some 430 sold out screenings this weekend. Overseas, the iconic 3D space tentpole’s cume is now $47M through Thursday. More later…
Maybe McCoy gave the box office a shot of Khan's blood...
250-300 DOM and hopefully 200+ OS. 500m total finish looks realistic?

I don't think Paramount will wait four years for the next one though, I think that's something which has affected it.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 09:58 PM   #184
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

With a $25-27 million Friday - taking into account the weekend multipliers past May sequels have had after Thursday openings - $85 million for the 4-day weekend is now probably the worst case scenario and $100 million for the 4-day weekend the best case scenario.

sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post
By the way, thanks for your avatar. It's been awhile since I've seen Season 1 Sarah. Good memories.
Ah, Sarah...
Old May 17 2013, 10:08 PM   #185
Phily B
Fleet Captain

Well for what its worth, GI Joe 1 still got a sequel and a higher budget for some reason, even if it didn't do well domestically or in the foreign BO.
Old May 17 2013, 10:08 PM   #186
MacLeod
Admiral

If there is a sequel it'll be out in 3 years time, 3.5 tops. After all 2016 is the 50th Anniversary year.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 10:14 PM   #187
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Well for what its worth, GI Joe 1 still got a sequel and a higher budget for some reason, even if it didn't do well domestically or in the foreign BO.
G.I. Joe 2 had a reduced production budget. The first one had a $175 million budget, while the second one had a $130 million budget - they got a cheaper director and did some cast reengineering, too.
Old May 17 2013, 10:16 PM   #188
Flake
Commodore

Her maths arent right. (Nikki at deadline.com)

The Boxoffice followers on hsx & boxoffice.com are saying that an 88m weekend from a 27m Friday is highly unlikely and also the fact she says 'almost double Thursday' yet says 25-27m when Thursday alone was only 10.5m, if its almost double 10.5m then thats perhaps 19-21m not 13.5x2 because that would include Wednesday.

Not holding my breath here. (But you all knew that anyway)

Just take these figures with a pinch of salt for now imo.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 10:18 PM   #189
Phily B
Fleet Captain

G.I. Joe 2 had a reduced production budget. The first one had a $175 million budget, while the second one had a $130 million budget - they got a cheaper director and did some cast reengineering, too.
Hmm, you're right. I can't believe they gave GI Joe 1 a 175m budget
Old May 17 2013, 10:19 PM   #190
Phily B
Fleet Captain

Flake wrote: View Post
Her maths arent right. (Nikki at deadline.com)

The Boxoffice followers on hsx & boxoffice.com are saying that an 88m weekend from a 27m Friday is highly unlikely and also the fact she says 'almost double Thursday' yet says 25-27m when Thursday alone was only 10.5m, if its almost double 10.5m then thats perhaps 19-21m not 13.5x2 because that would include Wednesday.

Not holding my breath here. (But you all knew that anyway)

Just take these figures with a pinch of salt for now imo.
I think the BTC numbers are going to turn out to be correct which isn't particularly an improvement on the last one.
Old May 17 2013, 10:22 PM   #191
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

She probably meant double Thursday including the Wednesday night numbers. Those numbers are often considered part of the Thursday take. When a sequel releases some of the early demand by opening on a Thursday it can lead to a weekend multiplier of 2.9 to 3.3X the Friday take, so that's where she's getting the possiblity of an $88 million 3-day weekend from.
Old May 17 2013, 10:33 PM   #192
Flake
Commodore

She probably meant double Thursday including the Wednesday night numbers. Those numbers are often considered part of the Thursday take. When a sequel releases some of the early demand by opening on a Thursday it can lead to a weekend multiplier of 2.9 to 3.3X the Friday take, so that's where she's getting the possiblity of an $88 million 3-day weekend from.
Trouble is she is well known for making mistakes like this. We dont know how she got her numbers. Perhaps it was some exec saying 'almost double Thursday' which taken literally means about 19m which is an awful number but she may have accidentally used the 13.5m to make her basic calculation. I have a bad feeling about all this.....
Old May 17 2013, 10:40 PM   #193
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Flake wrote: View Post
I have a bad feeling about all this.....
You go right ahead...
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 10:42 PM   #194
Flake
Commodore

Seriously I'm sorry for being the thread pessimist here, someone slip me a valium or even better some Khan blood! That stuff would rule.
Old May 17 2013, 10:42 PM   #195
Phily B
Fleet Captain

I too have a bad feeling and think it'll struggle to reach ST09s gross, but will beat it comfortably WW.

I do think it'll lead to Paramount looking at getting Trek into production far quicker this time.