STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

It seems that no matter how much you retool it, no matter how much you reinvent it, you'll have a hard time convincing the masses that 'this Star Trek is for YOU'.

Which is a shame, as this is exactly what they were trying to do with the new Abrams movies. I'll reserve judgement for now, and hope that people just didn't realise it was on, on Thursday night.

2. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Deadline

A good start.

I think $450 million is the likely target based off the start.

3. Chrono85

Chrono85 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Abrams Trek is increasing in popularity (as the box office numbers are showing). Maybe by the next movie, it will finally have real mainstream success comparable to a Marvel movie :).

4. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Never going to happen, Trek has stigma that will always hang around in some form and is less accessible than Marvel movies IMO.

5. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

True and it took those movies how long to take off? Batman Begins grossed less than Trek 2009 for example. I wonder how Trek would fare if Star Wars was at its height and movies like Prometheus had done a bit better? Sci-fi movies like this doesn't seem to be doing particularly well compared to the superhero juggernauts.

6. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Trek films have often succeeded in appealing to the masses, at least in the domestic market. The first four films ranked #5 in 1979, #6 in 1982, #9 in 1984, and #5 in 1986 in the year-end domestic box office charts, while Star Trek ranked #7 in 2009 (the intervening films, made while there was an ever-increasing amount of new Trek available on television, ranked outside the Top 10 of their respective years). You don't achieve a Top 10 box office ranking for the year without significant mass appeal, even if it's not up there with the uber-successful franchises that score truly astonishing grosses.

7. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

Superhero stuff is just much more accessible. I wish it weren't so, but it is.

8. Quinton O'Connor

That said, this is indeed true!

9. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

There are conflicting reports now. Box Office Guru said this via Twitter:

And Nikki Finke posted this:

Hopefully the latter is correct!

10. Phily B

Very very disappointing if true, a lot of predictions seemed to put it at 100m-110m now we're hoping it just beats 09.

11. I am not Spock

Quite disappointing :( I was hoping for a sequel. I won't give up just yet, but why so low? I think they may have just waited too long. The momentum from 09 may have worn off, among the non Trekkies.

12. I am not Spock

Superheroes seem to be all the rage. Sci fi has not been huge, as of late. Prometheus did OK, but not amazingly, at only 400 mil worldwide. (As compared to the billions that blockbusters make nowadays) I was hoping that STID and SW Episode VII would kick start a new golden age for sci fi.

13. Phily B

Might've been a mistake with the John Harrison stuff instead of just saying he is Khan? 4 year wait?

And Star Trek might've hit the ceiling, it's not a market for sci-fi adventures atm. Oblivion, John Carter, Prometheus all flopped or came under expectations. I mean outside of Star Trek 09, how many sci-fi movies in space have done that well?

14. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

09 did well because of WOM so we'll have to wait though 2009 Box office seems less busy than 13's IMO? Iron Man 3 is a killer when last time 09 had Wolverine Origins.

15. Quinton O'Connor

More from Box Office Guru on twitter:

If #IntoDarkness stays on current course, 1st 4days will be even w/ last Trek's. Shocking given 3D & aud love for last pic.

16. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

In the U.S., things are just starting. I won't even pay attention until Monday, when we'll know the weekend totals here in the states. That will give a better indicator of how things will move forward. My hope is that STiD breaks another high sales Trek record.

17. Quinton O'Connor

Well, maybe you're right, J. Allen, but these are fairly reputable sources keen on up-to-the-hour ticket sales information on the most important day for the movie we're quoting here.

18. I am not Spock

They should have played up the Khan angle in the marketing. Why create this John Harrison alias? Isn't Khan going to get bums in seats? Why have him, if you're not going to market it?

19. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm always right as long as no one asks any follow-ups whatsoever at any time. :shifty:

To be fair, I think there might be some confusion for folks. Before I saw the movie on the 16th, I had to ask around to make sure that was the correct date, because some people in the U.S. saw it on the 15th, some on the 16th, but the release date on all of the U.S. posters is the 17th.

That's why I'm not too concerned, and am interested in Monday's numbers, which will give us a nice view of how the weekend went.

20. Quinton O'Connor

Indeed, indeed. Hoping for the best, but hell, even if domestic numbers mirror the last flick's, stronger international sales are something to be happy with.