Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old May 15 2013, 09:20 AM   #76
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: Uniforms

That, sir... I would call a stretch.
Old May 15 2013, 10:15 PM   #77
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Given all the other far more outlandish things that has happened in Trek since its inception, it really isn't.
Old May 16 2013, 05:54 PM   #78
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post
It was also painfully obvious the rest of the cast were just using the available uniforms from DS9 (except for Stewart and Spiner, who had custom ones made for them). The extras in the background could be chosen to fit them, but not the principals; as a result, Riker's sleeves were way too short and had to be rolled up to disguise the fact, and LaForge's sleeves were way too long!
Didn't they have to squeeze Frakes' frame into Avery Brooks' uniform?

As far as the odd mixture of uniforms in "Generations," the sasme thing happened in TNG season three. That was sort of a transition season, with the main cast wearing new uniforms (which were slightly altered during the course of the first part of the season to eliminate the front seams) and most of the extras and background characters wearing the old first and second season uniforms.
Old May 16 2013, 07:21 PM   #79
Lance
Commodore

Also worth mentioning that the notion of different Starfleet crews wearing different uniforms at the same time was nothing new either: the Antares crew in "Charlie X" wear The Cage/WNMHGB uniforms when they meet up with Kirk (who is wearing the standard Enterprise variant).

IMO the best explanation is that Starfleet is just loose with the uniform code.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2013, 08:39 PM   #80
Lee Enfield
Lieutenant

Lance wrote: View Post
Also worth mentioning that the notion of different Starfleet crews wearing different uniforms at the same time was nothing new either: the Antares crew in "Charlie X" wear The Cage/WNMHGB uniforms when they meet up with Kirk (who is wearing the standard Enterprise variant).

IMO the best explanation is that Starfleet is just loose with the uniform code.
Yes, and it makes sense for the majority of cases.

...then, you've got stuff like, Picard critizising Ro Laren for wearing her beloved ear ring - which btw is a cultural expression. So, Worf is allowed to wear his sash but Ro isn't?
..Ok, I agree, you can say that Picard wanted to troll Ro because she was such a misfit.

But are there any other cases where someone gets criticised because of things like that?

Last edited by Lee Enfield; May 22 2013 at 08:50 PM.
Lee Enfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2013, 10:50 PM   #81
davejames
Vice Admiral

I was never a big fan of the early DS9 uniforms. They just looked too boring and simple-- and even more so on the big screen in Generations (I'm just completely baffled why they chose to incorporate them into that movie).

The later black and gray uniforms still had the same utilitarian feel about them, but also looked a LOT sharper at the same time.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2013, 11:56 PM   #82
marksound
Fleet Captain

davejames wrote: View Post
I was never a big fan of the early DS9 uniforms. They just looked too boring and simple-- and even more so on the big screen in Generations (I'm just completely baffled why they chose to incorporate them into that movie).

The later black and gray uniforms still had the same utilitarian feel about them, but also looked a LOT sharper at the same time.
Weren't most of the TNG uniforms showing some wear by that point? Not sure what the deal was with the wardrobe budget but there weren't enough if the new ones to go around.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 12:17 AM   #83
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Carcazoid wrote: View Post

Weren't most of the TNG uniforms showing some wear by that point? Not sure what the deal was with the wardrobe budget but there weren't enough if the new ones to go around.
They spent it on brand-new uniforms that were scrapped not long after filming began (they were kind of a cross between the TNG uniforms, the TWOK uniforms, and the future uniforms in "All Good Things...").
http://ottens.co.uk/forgottentrek/wp...n-uniforms.jpg
Old May 23 2013, 09:34 AM   #84
starburst
Fleet Captain

Does it really need an on screen why? They were smarter looking than the previous uniforms and more comfortable looking than the TNG ones and for me were the perfect TNG era uniform.

For the record, because we all like lists my (current) preferred duty uniform list is (top 5);
  1. "JJverse" Gold/Red/Blue
  2. First Contact
  3. TWOK but only as a dress uniform
  4. TOS Gold/Red/Blue
  5. TMP specifically the short sleeve shirt

R. Star wrote: View Post
Knew I forgot one. I'd plug the future uniforms in between the early Ds9/VOY and TNG uniforms.

I did think they had the best looking comm badge of the lot though.
The All Good Things uniform? Their combadge is indeed the best in my mind also, paired with the First Contact uniform and its even better!

And as I have jumped on the lists bandwagon...heres my duty insignia edition
  1. "JJverse"
  2. TMP Admiral Kirk metal badge (and Kirks STIND version as an extension)
  3. All Good Things
  4. Generations
  5. TWOK officers badge
If I hadnt limited it to 5 the TOS and TMP ones would have come in joint 6th.

Because it would just be terrible for the audience to see something as functional as a zipper.
Especially seeming there is a very visible zipper running down the front of their jumpsuits in early seasons and down the back later on!

That would be far more practical than wearing two communicators, so I'm inclined to agree there.
Just as practical as Sisko wearing his 'Captains Vest' under his jacket in Rocks and Shoals, a jacket which is shown to be made of the same material as the jacket and meant to be for alternate wear.

Or Kirk having a second Starfleet badge on his vest under his regular jacket in Generations!
starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 10:23 AM   #85
marksound
Fleet Captain

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Carcazoid wrote: View Post

They spent it on brand-new uniforms that were scrapped not long after filming began (they were kind of a cross between the TNG uniforms, the TWOK uniforms, and the future uniforms in "All Good Things...").
http://ottens.co.uk/forgottentrek/wp...n-uniforms.jpg
Ok, thanks. Forgot about that.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 04:40 PM   #86
davejames
Vice Admiral

starburst wrote: View Post
For the record, because we all like lists my (current) preferred duty uniform list is (top 5);
  1. "JJverse" Gold/Red/Blue
  2. First Contact
  3. TWOK but only as a dress uniform
  4. TOS Gold/Red/Blue
  5. TMP specifically the short sleeve shirt
For me it would be:

1. Collared TNG uniforms
2. First Contact uniforms
3. JJverse uniforms
4. TWOK uniforms (boy are these starting to look dated)
5. TOS uniforms
6. Early DS9 uniforms
7. Season 1 and 2 TNG uniforms
8. TMP uniforms (the only exception being Kirk's white and gray one)
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote