Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old April 25 2013, 07:52 PM   #1
Redfern
Commodore

Who created M'Ress?

The thread header is pretty much to the point. Can one or two specific people be credited as having created M'Ress for the animated series, and if so, whom? Can Gene Roddenberry legitimately assume the honors this time (or "take the blame" if you dislike the character), or was it one or more of the other noted people developing the project like DC Fontana or David Gerrold? Was it director Hal Sutherland or maybe the front runners of Filmation, Lou Scheimer or Norm Prescott?

Also, was she intended to be anything beyond a token alien? If more episodes had been produced, was anything akin to a M'Ress focused story considered? Yes, I know of the "biography" offered through "Lincoln Enterprises", but was that actually developed during the course of the series, or was that merely an "afterthought", written well after the cancellation of the series, something that could be sold through the Roddenberry's memorabilia service? If the latter, did Alan Dean Foster have any influence upon that short "bio"? I can't remember, had he already written the "flashback" in the Log novels (briefly describing her redirecting a transmitter aboard a Kzin ship) before Lincoln Enterprises released that bio? Or did the bio come first and Foster expand upon that Kzin incident?

Yeah, I suspect she was never meant to be anything beyond a visual cue to remind viewers the Enterprise was part of a multi species community, but I'd like to know for sure if anyone has any definitive information.

Who wants to place odds Therin of Andor or Christopher will be the first to respond?

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 09:07 PM   #2
Garrovick
Commander

Re: Who created M'Ress?

Her parents created her, of course

I figured someone would say it, might as well be me.
Old April 25 2013, 09:15 PM   #3
Redfern
Commodore

"And they had a LOT of fun doing so!"

Yeah, I set up myself fo that one.

I fear the animated series is just not that well documented, so until some of the people directly involved are asked these questions, we'll probably never know.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 10:02 PM   #4
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

I don't know, but I want to shake their hand because she's adorable!
I think heaven is what you make it. When I close my eyes for the final time, I hope to wake up standing in a grassy, breezy, sunlit field, a green tennis ball at my feet, and a little black lab, with a white diamond on her chest, running right towards me.
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 10:05 PM   #5
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

J. Allen wrote: View Post
*smacks* "Paw"

Come on now, you've learned 'hoof' easily enough.
Chemahkuu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 10:08 PM   #6
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post
*smacks* "Paw"

Come on now, you've learned 'hoof' easily enough.
I'm not cut out to be bilingual, er, trilingual!
I think heaven is what you make it. When I close my eyes for the final time, I hope to wake up standing in a grassy, breezy, sunlit field, a green tennis ball at my feet, and a little black lab, with a white diamond on her chest, running right towards me.
Old April 25 2013, 10:15 PM   #7
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

I'd settle for a dedicated episode or two to Caitians in general. We know very little about their race, Caitia, language, ships, technology, society etc
Old April 25 2013, 10:19 PM   #8
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
I'd settle for a dedicated episode or two to Caitians in general. We know very little about their race, Caitia, language, ships, technology, society etc
Yes! I love the Caitians, but we get no background. I wonder, if the show would have continued, if we would have seen something more in-depth about them?
Old April 25 2013, 10:20 PM   #9
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Yeah, I'd love to know who came up with the race as well as M'ress, if it was something thought up during TOS or just for TAS.
Old April 25 2013, 10:28 PM   #10
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

According to Memory Alpha, it may have been anyone.

The name of the species comes from a biography of Lt. M'Ress published by Lincoln Enterprises in 1974, which claims that the Caitians are related to the Kzinti. This is corroborated by extensive commentary by Larry Niven, author of most Known Space books, primarily found in his short story books "N-Space," "Playgrounds of the Mind" and "The Patchwork Man."
I wonder if Larry Niven had anything to do with it, or if he was just tasked with shoring up the background of her character.
Old April 25 2013, 10:29 PM   #11
Brown-Eyed Ghoul
Vice Admiral

Garrovick wrote: View Post
Her parents created her, of course
Was she an only child, or one of a litter?
Old April 25 2013, 10:31 PM   #12
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

I always assumed that Caitains had multiple births, or at least prefered larger families.
Old April 25 2013, 10:35 PM   #13
Christopher
Writer

Redfern wrote: View Post
The thread header is pretty much to the point. Can one or two specific people be credited as having created M'Ress for the animated series, and if so, whom? Can Gene Roddenberry legitimately assume the honors this time (or "take the blame" if you dislike the character), or was it one or more of the other noted people developing the project like DC Fontana or David Gerrold? Was it director Hal Sutherland or maybe the front runners of Filmation, Lou Scheimer or Norm Prescott?
I don't think Roddenberry had much creative involvement with TAS; it was essentially D.C. Fontana's show. As for Gerrold, he was a freelancer as far as I know, not a member of the staff.

In order of production number, M'Ress's first episode was "The Survivor," written by James Schmerer. However, Memory Alpha says that M'Ress is described in the script to "Mudd's Passion" by Stephen Kandel, suggesting that he may have conceived the character. I checked my copy of the "Star Trek Animated Fan Club Newsletter" issue 1, which came out not long before TAS premiered, and it gives "Mudd's Passion" as M'Ress's first appearance. So I'd tentatively suggest that Kandel may have created her.

But it's also possible that she and Arex were developed in-house by Filmation's staff and Fontana as they put the show together. Sometimes in animation it's an artist who creates a character, with the writers then developing them based on the initial artwork.

Also, was she intended to be anything beyond a token alien? If more episodes had been produced, was anything akin to a M'Ress focused story considered?
That doesn't seem too likely, but if someone had come up with a good idea for a story centering on M'Ress or Arex, it could've happened.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 10:38 PM   #14
Masao
Fleet Captain

Last edited by Masao; April 26 2013 at 12:14 AM.
Masao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 10:40 PM   #15
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

^^^^
Execellent, Masao!

Why does M'ress always get all the attention, though? where's the love for Arex and Edoans?