Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old April 25 2013, 08:27 AM   #1
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Revisiting Arrested Development

We just re-signed up for netflix and I've decided (To honor the fact that new episodes will arrive and then a movie) to revisit Arrested Development. This is considered by many to be one of the greatest sitcoms of all time (People always blame Fox for the cancellation of Firefly, yet when they cancelled AD, I was more upset about that) and I rewatched the first two episodes tonight.

I'm sure I'll really get into it as the series goes on, but right now I think I like Parks and Recreation better. Of course I'm only two episodes into AD and I've seen all of Parks, so that will change. I will say though that AD is as funny as I remember it, even if I'm not at the point where it get's really good.

So what are everyone's thoughts on this show? Are you looking forward to the new episodes and then the movie? Also, as an aside, I'm looking for new things now that I have Netflix Instant. Any good recommendations?
Old April 25 2013, 10:52 PM   #2
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Revisiting Arrested Development

Season 3 was godawful but I think the rest of it is full of wonderfully charming chemistry and wit. I'm not really caring about new eps because of the season 3 disappointment but who knows. Absolutely Fabulous was just as absolutely fabulous after a long hiatus.

And one of my favorite characters ever Lucille Bluth who I could watch all day..

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 12:55 AM   #3
Pondwater
Commodore

I hope Franklin comes back.
Pondwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 05:31 PM   #4
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

I've been rewatching the DVDs, and I'm just about done with the first season now. It is just as hilarious as always, and I'm still discovering new jokes that I missed the first couple of times around! Actually I think I've seen the whole series a total of 3 times now, so this is my 4th time.

The only plot I really didn't care for was the whole British thing, and anything with Kitty. Besides that I am still loving the show and looking forward to the new episodes. I saw an outtake from the upcoming season and it was disturbingly hilarious.

Here it is: http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/04/25/ar...uster-lucille/
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 05:48 PM   #5
Third Nacelle
Captain

You can watch it 1,000 times and still discover new jokes.

I just hope the new season and film are as good as the old series. Sometimes shows that come back from the dead have a weird reuniony feel.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 03:07 AM   #6
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
We just re-signed up for netflix and I've decided (To honor the fact that new episodes will arrive and then a movie) to revisit Arrested Development. This is considered by many to be one of the greatest sitcoms of all time (People always blame Fox for the cancellation of Firefly, yet when they cancelled AD, I was more upset about that) and I rewatched the first two episodes tonight.

I'm sure I'll really get into it as the series goes on, but right now I think I like Parks and Recreation better. Of course I'm only two episodes into AD and I've seen all of Parks, so that will change. I will say though that AD is as funny as I remember it, even if I'm not at the point where it get's really good.

So what are everyone's thoughts on this show? Are you looking forward to the new episodes and then the movie? Also, as an aside, I'm looking for new things now that I have Netflix Instant. Any good recommendations?
The unedited pilot on the Season One DVD set is far stronger than the edited version that aired on Fox and streamed on Netflix.
Old April 27 2013, 04:32 PM   #7
CaptainWacky
Rear Admiral

Steve Holt!
Old April 29 2013, 06:10 PM   #8
tighr
Commodore

I recently completed a rewatch (didn't take that long, considering how few episodes there were) and I agree with Third Nacelle, you can always find new jokes. I catch something new everytime I rewatch.

I think part of the problem with season 3 is that they knew they were about to get cancelled, so they had to shoehorn in some type of resolution. I don't think they ever planned on ending the Bluth family's legal troubles. Based purely on the season 3 finale (and the promo pics that were released), I would say that Season 4 is going to focus on Lucille being in jail/house arrest, but you never know.
Old April 30 2013, 01:59 AM   #9
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

AD is one of those shows I've really wished I could get into, but can't. Something about the style of the writing doesn't resonate with me.

I see it this way, the same way South Park is 'Smart stupidity', AD is 'Stupid smartness'.
JirinPanthosa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 01:18 AM   #10
DanCPA
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to DanCPA Send a message via Yahoo to DanCPA

I'm going to re-sign with Netflix... but that's the day before AD comes out.

AD is hilarious!
Old May 2 2013, 06:34 AM   #11
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
I give FOX credit though. They kept it on for three seasons, hoping the critical success would turn into numbers. And it never did.

I'm very excited about the new season...
Old May 2 2013, 02:29 PM   #12
tighr
Commodore

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
I give FOX credit though. They kept it on for three seasons, hoping the critical success would turn into numbers. And it never did.
They did their typical Fox-isms to the show, though. It was moved around the schedule, changed timeslots, and the finale aired a month and a half after the 9th episode of that season, and this was after having skipped sweeps earlier in the season; the final 4 episodes aired as a block opposite the opening ceremonies for the 2006 Winter Olympics, so many fans didn't even get to see them.

Season 2 was cut down to 18 from 22, Season 3 was cut down to 13 from 22. This has the effect of screwing with the writer's plots, because they're unable to develop the stories they want to develop, resulting in fans thinking that Season 3 had lower quality than previous seasons. That's just from the accelerated timescale that things had to happen in the final season. That's why it seems like they jump from the British plot directly to wrapping up various storylines very quickly.
Old May 2 2013, 06:34 PM   #13
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

tighr wrote: View Post
Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
They did their typical Fox-isms to the show, though. It was moved around the schedule, changed timeslots, and the finale aired a month and a half after the 9th episode of that season, and this was after having skipped sweeps earlier in the season; the final 4 episodes aired as a block opposite the opening ceremonies for the 2006 Winter Olympics, so many fans didn't even get to see them.

Season 2 was cut down to 18 from 22, Season 3 was cut down to 13 from 22. This has the effect of screwing with the writer's plots, because they're unable to develop the stories they want to develop, resulting in fans thinking that Season 3 had lower quality than previous seasons. That's just from the accelerated timescale that things had to happen in the final season. That's why it seems like they jump from the British plot directly to wrapping up various storylines very quickly.
Sure. They moved it around. They had a critical hit on their hands but no one was watching. What should they have done? Nothing? At least by moving it maybe they could've found the right night for it.

It was on for three seasons. And it was never a hit. That's the reality. It may have found its audience now. But, FOX gave it three years.

Better than 9 episodes, yeah?
Old May 2 2013, 08:43 PM   #14
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

tighr wrote: View Post
...I would say that Season 4 is going to focus on Lucille being in jail/house arrest, but you never know.
I hope not, they'd just be repeating themselves and I'm not sure they can top the George Bluth in prison episodes.

"No touching!"
Old May 2 2013, 08:52 PM   #15
Third Nacelle
Captain

I hope Lucille's ankle monitor doesn't interfere with her Motherboy XXXVIII costume too much.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote