RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 145,562
Members: 25,808
Currently online: 574
Newest member: amandapares

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 23 2014, 02:15 PM   #1
EmoBorg
Fleet Captain

Great Movies

Which movie do you consider a great movie ? perhaps the greatest. For me personally it is Lawrence Of Arabia.

This scene in the movie is one of my favorite scenes ever.

What is your favorite great movie ?

Ian Hislop
EmoBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2014, 02:45 PM   #2
Melakon
Admiral

Re: Great Movies

There is no single favorite, but many are listed here:

http://www.filmsite.org/greatlists.html

The site always gives me a small popup from classmates on first click.
Old July 23 2014, 03:48 PM   #3
Otto Harkaman
Lieutenant

I think Bondarchuk's "War an Peace" or "Voyna i mir" 1966 is one of the greatest movies, an eight hour epic. This is not the American version with Henry Fonda and Audrey Hepburn.

Sergei Bondarchuk's War and Peace
Otto Harkaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2014, 04:34 PM   #4
Tom Hendricks
King of the Wicker People

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

My top 3 are:

1. Citizen Kane - It was the beginning of modern film making. What Orson Wells did with camera movement and lighting is simply amazing.
2. 2001: A Space Odyssey - Breathtakingly beautiful and intelligent.
3. Lawrence of Arabia - You can watch this movie with the sound off, just watching the vistas. The power of the desert is palpable, the performances are amazing.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2014, 05:41 PM   #5
Foxhot
Commodore

Psycho. Alien. The Godfather. The Wizard of Oz. The Exorcist. The Right Stuff. 12 Angry Men. Watchmen. Mister Smith Goes to Washington. Beauty and the Beast from 1991. Battle Royale. 2001: A Space Odyssey. Reservoir Dogs. Jaws. Aliens. A Fish Called Wanda. Star Wars Episode Four. Apocalypse Now. Marathon Man. Ordinary People. West Side Story. The Dirty Dozen. Witness. Bataan. The Departed.

The rest are not in order. Life Itself. The Mist. Star Trek Into Darkness. Prometheus. Not a typo. Platoon. The Caine Mutiny. The Birth of a Nation. The Battleship Potemkin. The Seven Samurai. Ran. Napoleon from 1927. Treasure Island from 1934. Modern Times. The Adventures of Robin Hood. Casablanca. And Then There None from 1945. The Asphalt Jungle. High Noon. Singin' in the Rain. The Searchers. Paths of Glory. Touch of Evil. North by Northwest. Fail-Safe. The Flight of the Phoenix. The Getting of Wisdom. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? The Russians are Coming, the Russians are Coming. Planet of the Apes, guess which version. True Grit from 2010. M*A*S*H. The French Connection. The Godfather, Part II. Harry and Tonto. Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Network. Twilight's Last Gleaming. Damien Omen II. Invasion of the 1978 Body Snatchers. The Deer Hunter. The Empire Strikes Back. Das Boot. The Road Warrior. Testament. The Terminator. A Passage to India. An Education. Return to Oz, seriously. RoboCop from 1987. Die Hard. Glory. Do the Right Thing. JFK. Cape Fear from 1991. Malcolm X. Six Degrees of Separation. The Usual Suspects. Crimson Tide. Mission Impossible from 1996. Pulp Fiction. Los Angeles Confidential. Saving Private Ryan. Primary Colors. The Blair Witch Project. Fight Club. Dogma. Traffic. Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. The Grey Zone. Crash with Matt Dillon. No Country for Old Men. The Hurt Locker. The Raid: Redemption. Hard Boiled. The Queen. Inside Man. Black Swan. The Social Network. The final Harry Potter. And WR: Mysteries of the Organism. Apologies to Sojourner.
''Four questions, joker. Why do you leave your pets on the floor where they can get squashed, who's this idiot with the dark glasses, where's my Becky, and what the HELL are you doing floating on the ceiling?''
Foxhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2014, 06:34 PM   #6
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Not all of these are "great" as far as technical analysis is concerned, but these are some films that have had an impact on me and which I think approach greatness in their ways (rather than just being personal favorites). In no particular oder:

Arsenic and Old Lace -- I saw this for the first time as a kid, and it was the first time I grasped the concept of dark comedy. Happily it stands both the tests of maturity and time.

Tampopo -- Probably the "greatest" movie on this list. Also, marry me, Ken Watanabe?

Paper Moon -- Two words: Daddy Issues.

Smoke Signals -- The first time I'd seen a non-stereotyped, positive, and accurate portrayal of Indians in the media.

Hedwig and the Angry Inch -- How a musical about an East German transexual punk rock singer so perfectly captures exactly what it is like to be an 18 year old American girl, I'll never understand.

The Apartment -- One of the few romantic comedies (dramadies?) that gives me hope.

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2014, 06:54 PM   #7
ITL
Vice Admiral

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
Not all of these are "great" as far as technical analysis is concerned, but these are some films that have had an impact on me and which I think approach greatness in their ways (rather than just being personal favorites). In no particular oder:

Arsenic and Old Lace -- I saw this for the first time as a kid, and it was the first time I grasped the concept of dark comedy. Happily it stands both the tests of maturity and time.

Tampopo -- Probably the "greatest" movie on this list. Also, marry me, Ken Watanabe?

Paper Moon -- Two words: Daddy Issues.

Smoke Signals -- The first time I'd seen a non-stereotyped, positive, and accurate portrayal of Indians in the media.

Hedwig and the Angry Inch -- How a musical about an East German transexual punk rock singer so perfectly captures exactly what it is like to be an 18 year old American girl, I'll never understand.

The Apartment -- One of the few romantic comedies (dramadies?) that gives me hope.
The last two on your list are favourites of mine - I first saw The Apartment on TV when I was quite young, and have watched it countless times since. The chemistry between the two leads is amazing.

And every time I watch Hedwig I can't get it out of my head for days, which is always an enjoyable experience to have. JCM is a bloody genius.
Old July 23 2014, 06:56 PM   #8
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^Agreed on both counts!

Old July 23 2014, 08:14 PM   #9
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

My pick for greatest movie would be Mulholland Drive. My favorite scene is in it and it's this, although it really needs to be seen in context.
Old July 23 2014, 09:33 PM   #10
Gaith
Rear Admiral

EmoBorg wrote: View Post
Which movie do you consider a great movie ?
Well, duh:

I mean, "great" is right there in the title.

... I KID!

Okay, serious example:

... because every minute of it, that's why.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2014, 10:00 PM   #11
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^There was this fantastic psych study I read which suggested that watching depressing movies makes people feel more optimistic...presumably because their own lives don't seem quite so shit by comparison. I thought it hilarious that the movie they used on the test subjects was Atonement, because, you know, when you're trying to think of a bleak film.

Old July 23 2014, 10:27 PM   #12
Foxhot
Commodore

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
^There was this fantastic psych study I read which suggested that watching depressing movies makes people feel more optimistic...presumably because their own lives don't seem quite so shit by comparison.
Or most of TESTAMENT. Or some of HARRY AND TONTO. If the actors are particularly good, that also helps the medicine go down in these type of films. They can deliver major uplift.

The week my mother passed, I saw A WORLD APART for the first and only time. One of its key themes was parental separation.
''Four questions, joker. Why do you leave your pets on the floor where they can get squashed, who's this idiot with the dark glasses, where's my Becky, and what the HELL are you doing floating on the ceiling?''
Foxhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2014, 11:18 PM   #13
bbjeg
Admiral

A few greats off the top of my head; Instinct with Anthony Hopkins, Usual Suspects, Hotel Rwanda, and Fight Club.

Honorable mentions; The Avengers, X2, X-Men: Days of Future's Past, 300, Dark Knight, Jurassic Park, What Dreams May Come, Ghost Busters, Blues Brothers, and the original Star Wars and Lord of the Rings trilogies.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2014, 12:11 PM   #14
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Cloud Atlas
Old July 24 2014, 01:29 PM   #15
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

Tie between Kubrick's Paths of Glory and Lumet's Network.
Ensign_Redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote