Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old April 27 2013, 06:32 PM   #91
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Re: Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Nope. They will have to remake the CGI effects from scratch. And they will.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 07:37 PM   #92
SpHeRe31459
Captain

Flake wrote: View Post
It would be way too expensive to do it and make it way more expensive than TNG which is not a good idea when the spinoffs where not as popular as TNG. I think it would require another company remaking the effects shots in addition to two companies editing them together. Surely this is too expensive. Its not just re-rendering the CGI models (which would have to be remade from scratch!) they have to match the virtual camera movements and positions of ships etc. Imagine trying to remake the fleet scenes in the latter seasons of DS9 - it would cost a fortune! OTOH they can simply upscale. Enterprise already has 480p CGI upscaled and so will DS9 and VOY. Surely the VFX companies sent in their CGI effects in a higher bitrate ready to be edited into their SD broadcasts just incase they are upscaled in the future. Perhaps these reels exist separately to the finished episodes, especially if they were edited into existing live action footage.
A. now you see why CBS has been reluctant to commit to DS9 or VOY

B. You way overestimate the CG that was done at the time. It will need to re-done. Remember the CG at the time was done as low resolution and with as low geometry as possible for 90's standard definition TV. It will look like just terrible when upscaled. You can already see low resolution textures on Voyager if you look.

Both Adam "Mojo" Lebowitz and Doug Drexler have said basically as much at different points in time when asked on their respective blogs.

C. Enterprise was done with much higher resolution initial models, etc. but rendered at 480p for rendering speed given the budgets and weekly schedules. It was eventually rendered at 720p depending on the shots.
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 08:25 PM   #93
Flake
Commodore

Well if they remake the CGI in HD I will be pleasantly surprised and happy to be wrong
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 08:33 PM   #94
davejames
Vice Admiral

Yeah, I've been rewatching DS9 recently, and while the picture quality and effects do already seem a step above the TNG dvds, it's still FAR below HD-ready.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 06:20 PM   #95
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

According to startrek.com. Redemption is coming out on July 30th. Can we assume this is the date that Season 4 is coming out too? Also, unless Target as another great deal for Season 4 and Redemption (And they might), I'm not sure I'm going to get this single disc. I didn't even decide to get BOBW until yesterday when I saw the ad. I just really wish they wouldn't do this, and now I think we know what the theatrical events are. It's a shame that none of the other Season 4 episodes will be featured. I hope I'm wrong though, but it seems like this is the direction they want to go for the remainder of the series.
Old April 29 2013, 06:25 PM   #96
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

^^ Season 4's on numerous websites over here (UK) for pre-order, release date of 29th July.
Old April 29 2013, 06:52 PM   #97
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
According to startrek.com. Redemption is coming out on July 30th. Can we assume this is the date that Season 4 is coming out too? Also, unless Target as another great deal for Season 4 and Redemption (And they might), I'm not sure I'm going to get this single disc. I didn't even decide to get BOBW until yesterday when I saw the ad. I just really wish they wouldn't do this, and now I think we know what the theatrical events are. It's a shame that none of the other Season 4 episodes will be featured. I hope I'm wrong though, but it seems like this is the direction they want to go for the remainder of the series.
I hope for the season 5 event they go with Unification over Time's Arrow and for season 6 Chains of Command over the craptacular Descent.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 07:05 PM   #98
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Other than 'just because it's the season-spanning two parters' there's no real logical reason to choose Time's Arrow over Unification or Descent over Chains of Command as clearly the latter episodes are far better.

Fingers crossed.
Old April 29 2013, 07:12 PM   #99
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

I'm revolting if they put Gambit on the big screen. Yuck.
Old April 29 2013, 07:23 PM   #100
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Surely All Good Things as the Season 7 event is a no-brainer......?
Old April 29 2013, 07:26 PM   #101
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

That's why I didn't even bother to mention it.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 07:42 PM   #102
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

My preferences would be:

Season 4 - Redemption 1+2 (which seems to be happening)
Season 5 - Unification 1+2 or Darmok/Cause and Effect (The Inner Light would be good too, but it was on the sampler, so it would be less of a draw)
Season 6 - Chain of Command 1+2 or Relics/Tapestry
Season 7 - All Good Things
Old April 29 2013, 07:45 PM   #103
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Redemption standalone disc already detailed, courtesy of TrekCore:

- New documentary entitled Survive and Succeed: An Empire at War, featuring interviews with writer Ronald D. Moore, actors Michael Dorn, Robert O'Reilly (Gowron) and Gwynyth Walsh (B'Etor)
- Feature-length audio commentary by Moore and Michael and Denise Okuda.

http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/04/fir...oming-in-july/
Old April 29 2013, 07:46 PM   #104
Danlav05
Commander

i admit I am glad they are doing these 'taster' releases.

I recently finally completed my Trek season sets on DVD, and I don't really want to buy them all over again on Blu-Ray, HOWEVER I totally recognise the upgraded picture quality by taking from the film negatives as opposed to the videotape copies.

i do have all the movies on Blu-Ray, so in a way these 2parters as 1 can sit quite nicely with them. I haven't got 'The Next Level' yet but may get it with BOBW which sits nicely as a BD as First Contact is technically it's sequel and Redemption ties into the ST6 Klingon arc.

I'm trying to view them as movies as opposed to double-length episodes basically!

I hope we get Unification too for Season 5, with Chain of Command and All Good Things following. Maybe Gambit?

What does everyone think of Deep Space Nine & Voyager's chances of being HD'd? I love Emissary & Year of Hell and they could look amazing, and DS9 in particular showed a lot of amazing space battles.
Danlav05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 08:31 PM   #105
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

If Deep Space Nine ever goes this route I hope we get "Improbable Cause/The Die is Cast" and "Homefront/Paradise Lost" on the big screen.