MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old May 3 2014, 07:07 PM   #1006
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Re: Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

asp7485 wrote: View Post
So much CG Enterprise! Where could that footage of the 4 foot model have wound up? Thank goodness they found most of the stuff with the 6 foot model. The overall project might be less impressive if they didn't have those glorious shots of the original model from the pilot onward.
I'm glad it's missing, as I hate that particular shot. It's the ugliest shot of the 4-footer on the show, I think. The CGI model that was perfected in season 5 is so much better. Too bad season 4 and even early season 5 keeps switching between the blurry alternate model shot and the less refined CGI shot. CBS-D didn't use the new CGI model exclusively until Conundrum. Also really lame is that the CGI shot in The Inner Light from the sampler was never updated.

As for the 6-footer shots, we really lucked out on that one. As it is, only one shot from the pilot is missing, which is the saucer separation shot, which was last seen in Generations - perhaps when making the movie, one of the passes was misplaced. And since the shot is only seen 3 times in all of TNG, it's not a big deal.

The shots from the pilot are used so often throughout the show, but they look so good, I don't care. It's a good thing ILM used higher resolution VistaVision instead of standard 35mm for the model shots. Add to that the lack of generation loss due to the digital recompositing, it looks way better than ever possible back in 1987.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2014, 12:39 AM   #1007
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

jimbotron wrote: View Post
The shots from the pilot are used so often throughout the show, but they look so good, I don't care. It's a good thing ILM used higher resolution VistaVision instead of standard 35mm for the model shots. Add to that the lack of generation loss due to the digital recompositing, it looks way better than ever possible back in 1987.
They look amazing. I can't believe there are still people who want all those pristine high-definition model shots replaced with crappy CGI.
Old May 23 2014, 05:22 AM   #1008
gaghyogi49
Lieutenant Commander

Here are the latest two observations articles, "The drumhead" and "Half a life":

"The drumhead" at EAS

"Half a life" at EAS
gaghyogi49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2014, 02:45 PM   #1009
gaghyogi49
Lieutenant Commander

And another one, "The host":

"The host" observations article at EAS
Old May 28 2014, 12:54 PM   #1010
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

gaghyogi49 wrote: View Post
And another one, "The host":

"The host" observations article at EAS
Great stuff.

I noticed... seventh thing down in that list, the shot of the Enterprise "approaching Peliar Zel II and its two moons", the HD shot looks like it has completely different lighting to the SD shot. Look at the position of the shadow cast on the nacelle struts. In SD, there is a shadow covering the whole top surface of the left strut. In HD, it only casts over half of it. And the shadow is more uniform over the whole ship, but it's very contrasted between the two sides in HD.

It looks incredible, frankly, but how have they done that if it's the same footage? Is that possible just in compositing? A different light pass, perhaps? A CG replacement?

EDIT: it could just be that the original shot was VERY washed out, and maybe the shadow on the strut moves. I'd have to see it in motion.
Start Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2014, 02:32 PM   #1011
MickJo1701
Commander

Start Wreck wrote: View Post
I noticed... seventh thing down in that list, the shot of the Enterprise "approaching Peliar Zel II and its two moons", the HD shot looks like it has completely different lighting to the SD shot. Look at the position of the shadow cast on the nacelle struts. In SD, there is a shadow covering the whole top surface of the left strut. In HD, it only casts over half of it. And the shadow is more uniform over the whole ship, but it's very contrasted between the two sides in HD.

It looks incredible, frankly, but how have they done that if it's the same footage? Is that possible just in compositing? A different light pass, perhaps? A CG replacement?
Yeah you're spot on, either a different lighting pass was used for this shot or its an entirely different pass that looks virtually the same, its difficult to tell. Both passes were located and used.

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/se...ree-hd-459.jpg
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/se...ree-hd-428.jpg
MickJo1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2014, 02:44 PM   #1012
gaghyogi49
Lieutenant Commander

Hey guys! Thanks! You're right. They used the second flyby from "The nth degree" (the ship approaches the Cytherian homeworld) instead of the first one, which should have been re-used here, so they got the shots wrong. We will update this in the article and give you credit for the observation.
Old May 28 2014, 09:49 PM   #1013
gaghyogi49
Lieutenant Commander

The article has been updated accordingly. Thanks again guys!
Old June 7 2014, 03:04 AM   #1014
Tosk
Rear Admiral

The observations for Redemption part 1 are up...but I still maintain that (contrary to what it says there) that the Klingon viewscreen was a re-creation. When you compare it directly, it doesn't match the original footage in several key areas.

The dirt is in different places, some of the proportions are slightly off, the label is in a different spot, and two of the circular patterns at the bottom are flopped.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2014, 03:52 AM   #1015
Salinga
Captain

I am dissappointed with this red tint the remastering has (even the top lights looks orange now):

This is pretty much this concentration of red that the first season of TNG in SD had... :-/
Salinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2014, 04:10 AM   #1016
MakeshiftPython
Captain

Looks fine to me. Looks more visually appealing. I just watched "Reunion" and marveled at how great that whole episode looked, which I've never done for the SD versions.
MakeshiftPython is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2014, 03:59 PM   #1017
Salinga
Captain

This is how I would have done the coloring (on the right):
Old June 8 2014, 01:56 AM   #1018
trekker670
Captain

In the words of MakeshiftPython:

MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
Looks fine to me. Looks more visually appealing.
Other than the blue carpet, the differences are minor. You subtle differences are a matter of artistic opinion. I'd say either looks fine.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2014, 04:02 PM   #1019
Salinga
Captain

Giving every a red tint is an artistic opinion. Show every color correctly is not.
Old June 8 2014, 07:38 PM   #1020
SpHeRe31459
Captain

Salinga wrote: View Post
Giving every a red tint is an artistic opinion. Show every color correctly is not.
How do you know what the correct color is?

I don't think any of us know, since all we see is what's been on TV.

Unlike the SD version, the fleshtones look right, so it can't be too far off.

CBS-D has the original color grading info and is generally trying to follow it.

Also we tend to be used to seeing things in a rather cold tint these days, because of inaccurate TV settings, and the annoying inclination to add a steely and/or teal tone in our modern films. So all I see is a rather warm image, not anything that could be definitively called inaccurate.
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote