MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old August 31 2013, 12:03 AM   #826
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Re: Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

I'll take 3 seconds of upscaled SD over what would most likely have been sub-par digital manipulation of Riker's mouth.
Savage Dragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2013, 06:39 AM   #827
gaghyogi49
Lieutenant Commander

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
The best situation is what happened in "The Drumhead" where a quick SD cutaway of the damaged warp core through a window in Engineering was substituted for missing footage. That one is very difficult to spot.
Yes, that one is really difficult to spot because of all the smoke in the shot and thus works really well. This is no substitution of different missing footage, though, but again, just upconversion of exactly the same SD footage.

Jörg
gaghyogi49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2013, 06:30 PM   #828
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

When making the final cut of Blade Runner, they did something like that to fix a line. The line was one thing, but Harrison's lips said something different.

They fixed it by recording the line with his son, and pasting the result over Harrison's mouth and jaw. His son's facial structure was nearly a perfect match. I'm glad they did that instead of CGI, because no one has been able to a human face look realistic yet. It's always a little off.

Frakes is older and rounder now, so it wouldn't have worked. Upscaled SD beats bad CGI in this case.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2013, 07:51 PM   #829
Flake
Commodore

Re: Dull & Boring

I get the impression the producers by Season 4-5 wanted to stay within a certain comfort zone that allowed them to get things done on time and in budget without any fuss. This meant boring music and floodlit overbright sets everywhere. I assume this lighting made things quicker and easier to set up and shoot.

They wanted to save the pennys and run a well oiled machine. TNG Season 4.5 to DS9 Season 3 is the result. Bermans bland machine.

People like Ron Jones who liked to rock the boat by trying new things and spending extra money doing it (and sometimes not going to plan!) is what got him fired. After that they wanted sonic wallpaper only. No fancy stuff.

IMHO.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2013, 09:36 PM   #830
Admiral Bear
Captain

jimbotron wrote: View Post
When making the final cut of Blade Runner, they did something like that to fix a line. The line was one thing, but Harrison's lips said something different.

They fixed it by recording the line with his son, and pasting the result over Harrison's mouth and jaw. His son's facial structure was nearly a perfect match. I'm glad they did that instead of CGI, because no one has been able to a human face look realistic yet. It's always a little off.

Frakes is older and rounder now, so it wouldn't have worked. Upscaled SD beats bad CGI in this case.
If did occur to me that Paramount could get Frakes in for a few hours, dye his beard black, take a few years off his face with make up, put him in front of a blue screen, and get him to re-record the line while capturing his mouth movements in HD. His lip movements could then be digitally pasted on to his HD face on the Battle Bridge shot, with any necessary cleaning up around his face being a fairly simple job.

If they went down the CGI lips route, there's already the SD template of Frakes saying the line. Only his lip movement would have to be recreated in HD and applied to his HD face. Given that it's shot from relative distance in a dark environment, I think either of the above could be done successfully without it showing.

My earlier idea about just pasting his SD lips over doesn't really work due to framing, colour and lighting differences. The framing differences between the SD video and HD film mean that Frakes is slightly smaller on screen in HD, ie his mouth his bigger is SD and won't fit his HD face properly without being digitally resized.
Admiral Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2013, 10:08 PM   #831
Aatrek
Rear Admiral

It's THREE. SECONDS.
Aatrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 12:04 AM   #832
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Aatrek wrote: View Post
It's THREE. SECONDS.
Yeah, it's barely noticable.
Old September 1 2013, 02:00 AM   #833
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

THERE! ARE! THREE! SECONDS!
Old September 1 2013, 03:34 AM   #834
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Count me as not giving a shit over three seconds of SD footage. I find it incredible that so little is missing and tip my hat to CBS-Digital for the work they've done piecing the episodes back together.
Old September 1 2013, 05:03 AM   #835
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

I'm amazed that it justs a few second here and there that's missing. I'd rather look at this positively.
Old September 1 2013, 06:10 AM   #836
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Same here. Sure, we'd all prefer there was no upscaled footage needed, but look at how much HD footage we know have that we never did before. Some people got over how amazing this project is a little too quickly.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 07:13 AM   #837
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

6 seconds missing out of 26 episodes (one shot in BOBW2, one in Drumhead), each about 40 minutes of live action each (excluding effects and credits).

That means 99.9904% of the footage was found. Not bad.

Last edited by jimbotron; September 1 2013 at 11:45 PM.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 07:42 AM   #838
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I'm about 25 minutes into the Art Department feature and man this is some boring stuff. They're not even talking about TNG. At least with the writers room you had personalities and the stories they told were interesting and funny. Not only that, but they provided examples. With these guys I'm not sure if I'm really interested in anything they've brought up so far, and it's something that seems to be better fit on the DS9 Blu Rays.

I'll finish it, but man we really needed features that were like Seasons 1 and 2. What was the highlights, media and fanwise of Season 4? Were there news stories or features on ET that focused on the series? Hell, I would have taken off the arts thing and put on Klingon Empire on BOTH discs (Hey they did that with the trailers). I'm not going to see that feature and it's not being posted on Youtube, but for some reason I feel like that feature is a lot better than listening to the Arts Department.
Old September 1 2013, 03:26 PM   #839
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
I'm about 25 minutes into the Art Department feature and man this is some boring stuff. They're not even talking about TNG. At least with the writers room you had personalities and the stories they told were interesting and funny. Not only that, but they provided examples. With these guys I'm not sure if I'm really interested in anything they've brought up so far, and it's something that seems to be better fit on the DS9 Blu Rays.

I'll finish it, but man we really needed features that were like Seasons 1 and 2. What was the highlights, media and fanwise of Season 4? Were there news stories or features on ET that focused on the series? Hell, I would have taken off the arts thing and put on Klingon Empire on BOTH discs (Hey they did that with the trailers). I'm not going to see that feature and it's not being posted on Youtube, but for some reason I feel like that feature is a lot better than listening to the Arts Department.
The Klingon feature on the "Redemption" disc was rather good - I certainly enjoyed it more than the Art Department reunion. Robert O'Reilly's stories about his audition were hilarious. I certainly recommend you pick the disc up if you see it discounted to a price you're prepared to pay!
Old September 1 2013, 06:14 PM   #840
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
I fell asleep 3 or 4 times while trying to watch it the first time. I feel asleep again the second time while watching it. It was after my fourth attempt that I finally finished it. It really need an outside moderator to keep it more focused. I wanted to hear more about TNG not DS9.