RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,689
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 496
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old April 25 2013, 10:10 PM   #61
dg1379
Commander

Re: Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Gotta stay out of this thread til after BOBW. I want to see trailer on the big screen first!
dg1379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 10:27 PM   #62
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

That trailer sure was goofy.

The Worf/Lwaxana bit followed by the Enterprise firing? Cute.

The visual effects look great (despite it being the fugly 4-footer). Modern Video pulled it off. They have my blessing for season 6.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 11:24 PM   #63
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Yeah, Modern Video is alright in my book. They're pretty close to CBS-D quality, with a few iffy shots (the Enterprise turning away from the purple rift, the sparks from Guinan's gun, and the shot at 1:52 - from Clues IIRC). I wish they'd been contracted for S2.
Old April 25 2013, 11:29 PM   #64
mr.peany
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to mr.peany

Yeah it looks good. I guess one thing to keep in mind is that there is still a bit of time for some of the shots to change like they did with the season 3 trailer. Miles ahead of season 2 though.
http://unoland.myminicity.com/
mr.peany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 12:31 AM   #65
Mutai Sho-Rin

Thread stuck. Ultimately, there will be seven of these babies at the top of the forum. Might get a tad crowded up there.
Old April 26 2013, 12:56 AM   #66
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac

Mutai Sho-Rin wrote: View Post
Thread stuck. Ultimately, there will be seven of these babies at the top of the forum. Might get a tad crowded up there.
Perhaps merge Seasons 1 and 2 when Season 5 rolls around? Then add in 3 as 6 comes out etc.
Dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 01:01 AM   #67
Dream
Admiral

Dac wrote: View Post
Perhaps merge Seasons 1 and 2 when Season 5 rolls around? Then add in 3 as 6 comes out etc.
Please god NO! The last thing anyone wants is one big clump full of several seasons of posts! Talk about one big unreadable mess!
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 02:57 AM   #68
Aatrek
Rear Admiral

It's probably safe to unstick S1 and S2 by now.
Aatrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 04:18 AM   #69
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Personally I wouldn't mind having all 7 seasons up there for a while. It's been so long since I've been this excited about TNG, or Star Trek in general.

However, having the latest two seasons stickied is probably enough if it gets too crowded.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 05:36 AM   #70
Mott the barber
Commodore

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Any speculation on the Season 4 Theater event? Are they going to do the same thing like they did with Best of Both Worlds and combine Redemption as a feature film? I hope not. Personally, I would love to just have a Best of Both Worlds/Family night and make it a whole trilogy. Considering that won't happen, I wonder what episodes they could use to feature the season. If they wanted to go full fledged visual effects, I would do Galaxy's Child and The Loss. If they wanted to do good storytelling, perhaps Remember Me and The Wounded. Did Season 4 have really popular episodes? It seemed to me that it was the season where it was mainly business as usual.
I'm predicting The Wounded or The Drumhead will make the cut, probably along with Redemption.

Oh and you didn't just mention "The Loss" did you?!?!

Edit: Nevermind. Looks like its Redemption.

Last edited by Mott the barber; April 26 2013 at 05:48 AM.
Mott the barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 05:38 AM   #71
Mott the barber
Commodore

Honestly, this is the meat and potatoes of TNG now. I'd leave them all up for the foreseeable future. We can all scroll down but it's worth it so they're easy to find. Even the older ones.
Old April 26 2013, 05:39 AM   #72
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Mott the barber wrote: View Post
tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Any speculation on the Season 4 Theater event? Are they going to do the same thing like they did with Best of Both Worlds and combine Redemption as a feature film? I hope not. Personally, I would love to just have a Best of Both Worlds/Family night and make it a whole trilogy. Considering that won't happen, I wonder what episodes they could use to feature the season. If they wanted to go full fledged visual effects, I would do Galaxy's Child and The Loss. If they wanted to do good storytelling, perhaps Remember Me and The Wounded. Did Season 4 have really popular episodes? It seemed to me that it was the season where it was mainly business as usual.
I'm predicting The Wounded or The Drumhead will make the cut, probably along with Redemption.

Oh and you didn't just mention "The Loss" did you?!?!

I did mention The Loss, and there was one reason for that. I'm looking forward to how the FX will look on the Cosmic String. It's one of the more underrated shots in the season and if they wanted to feature visual effects, you can't get much better than the Cosmic String shot.
Old April 26 2013, 05:58 AM   #73
RAMA
Vice Admiral

The Redemption footage from the trailer looks amazing!! It's a good pick for the theater event!!
Old April 26 2013, 09:44 AM   #74
Kirks_Flying_Wig
Commander

jimbotron wrote: View Post
That trailer sure was goofy.

The Worf/Lwaxana bit followed by the Enterprise firing? Cute.

The visual effects look great (despite it being the fugly 4-footer). Modern Video pulled it off. They have my blessing for season 6.
Whoever cut the trailer together has obviously been watching a little too much TNG Recut on YouTube!

Season 4 looks great! I can't wait til it's out!
Kirks_Flying_Wig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 01:35 PM   #75
LogicDeLuxe
Lieutenant Junior Grade

jimbotron wrote: View Post
Are you sure? That pan included live action elements, which would have been shot on film, which is only 24 frames per second. The only time the frame rate varied in production from 24 to 30 frames per second would be model shots.
I am pretty sure. I bought the NTSC DVDs in order to do my own norm conversion since the PAL DVDs have it done with very poor scaling rendering the quality even worse than it already is (was, thanks to Blu-Ray). I prefer a PAL speed up over NTSC 3:2 pullup anytime, as I find the pitch shift far less distracting that the judder.
If you're watching a Blu-ray on an older HDTV that only refreshes at 60Hz, then you will experience judder as you would from a DVD.
Of course, I watched it in 24p. I guess, people who don't notice the issue don't have 24p displays and see judder all the time. Maybe that would hide the issue with this scene. Those in charge for the editing do watch on 24p displays, don't they?

And since I did a norm conversion of the entire show for private use, there was no way around noticing certain oddities like "Identity Crisis" has 30fps throughout major parts of the episode.
Btw., the editing job of TNG is still rather consistent. The editing in LEXX is far more crazy for instance.
LogicDeLuxe is offline   Reply With Quote