Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old August 9 2013, 06:25 AM   #661
Cap.T
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

NewHorizon wrote: View Post
I'll be curious to see how Season 5 does since it's a CBS-Digital season.
jimbotron wrote: View Post
There are also apparently the fans who refuse to buy seasons 2 and 4.

Honestly I don't think the majority of people who buy these sets know or care even which company remasters which season. I have a few Star Trek-Fans as friends that bought the show on Blu-Ray but have no idea about CBS, HTV or Modern Video. I really don't think that us 25 to 50 Hardcore "freaks" on boards like these are representative of the majority of buyers of these seasons.
Cap.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 08:56 AM   #662
TV's Frank
Fleet Captain

[/QUOTE]Honestly I don't think the majority of people who buy these sets know or care even which company remasters which season. I have a few Star Trek-Fans as friends that bought the show on Blu-Ray but have no idea about CBS, HTV or Modern Video. I really don't think that us 25 to 50 Hardcore "freaks" on boards like these are representative of the majority of buyers of these seasons.[/QUOTE]

This is a fact that people on this board need to keep in mind ALL THE TIME, it will ensure that sanity is retained along with a healthy sense of perspective. Friends of mine who are fans yet would never post on a message board could care less about who did the remasters on these Blu-rays, they just love the way it all looks.
TV's Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 12:44 PM   #663
NewHorizon
Captain

Dream wrote: View Post
Why would someone buy S3 and ignore the rest of TNG?
For me, I liked all seasons of TNG for one reason or another. I wish the show had retained a bit more of the Season 1 and 2 flavor as it went on, but nothing to be done about that now.

I see two groups of TNG Blu-Ray buyers.

Those that will be buying S1-S7, and those that will be waiting for the "good" seasons and only get S3-S7.
I make up a different group, I guess. For me, quality and consistency of the product mean a lot. I've seen the show many times over and for me it's not a necessity to invest my hard earned dollars in something like say, an HTV level of poor quality work. Season 4, which apparently still has some issues, looks better than HTV overall...so I'll wait for it to be discounted. Seasons 5 through 7 will be an immediate purchase for me as long as CBS is doing all the work though.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 12:50 PM   #664
Robert Comsol
Commodore

"Friends of mine who are fans yet would never post on a message board could care less about who did the remasters on these Blu-rays, they just love the way it all looks."

Yes, one of the unfortunate side effects of remastered programs in HD resolution which tends to numb or blind the senses for other important issues like proper color, brightness and last but not least contrast levels (with Star Wars on Blu-ray being one of the biggest offenders, most unfortunately).

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 08:52 PM   #665
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

I haven't bought, nor do I plan to buy, any of the sets. I've enjoyed following the discussion in these threads, though.
Old August 9 2013, 09:36 PM   #666
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
I haven't bought, nor do I plan to buy, any of the sets. I've enjoyed following the discussion in these threads, though.
WHAAAAT?!!!

Just kidding. I must have momentarily forgotten your reason for that. You don't like TNG, you don't have a Blu-ray player/HDTV or you don't have the money?
Old August 9 2013, 10:36 PM   #667
Borjis
Commodore

jimbotron wrote: View Post
There are also apparently the fans who refuse to buy seasons 2 and 4.
I refused to buy Season1 & Season2 of the DVD set initially.

ended up getting season2 much later since there are some great episodes onthere, but never got Season1 because it looked so awful.

I have all of them so far though on blu-ray.
Borjis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 03:33 AM   #668
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

I took the time to pause and read Riker's service record while watching "Future Imperfect" tonight. It now lists the Titan as his first command after becoming captain.
Old August 10 2013, 08:10 AM   #669
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

Is the gag reel only a minute and a half? All I can find on YouTube.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 10:40 AM   #670
Tosk
Rear Admiral

I noticed another goofy little oddity in The Drumhead. The opening shot of the Enterprise (now a CG replacement) has the ship sitting still in space for a few moments then lurching forward and staying at a constant speed 'til it leaves the screen. Methinks it was originally made to have the fade up from black take place a little later.
Tosk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 11:52 AM   #671
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow

Evil Twin wrote: View Post
I took the time to pause and read Riker's service record while watching "Future Imperfect" tonight. It now lists the Titan as his first command after becoming captain.
Noticed that myself Brillant how they got that in I noticed that riker did a lot with the romulans with the Titan I'm assuming very close to the Titan books. Also I've noticed on admiral Picard,s comm badge that it had a star in the offset of his com badge great HD quality.

I'm loving season 4 but it really should have been CBS digital doing all the seasons the Inconsistency of the effects on the enterprise are disappointing, especially the 4 footer. :-(
Old August 10 2013, 02:16 PM   #672
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Nice easter egg aside, it's a pity no one over there uses a spell-checker. Apparently, Riker once displayed conspicuous "gallandry".
Tosk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 06:00 PM   #673
davejames
Vice Admiral

Cool addition... although considering this wasn't his real future but just a fabrication made by Brash from Riker's own memories, I'm not sure how it would be possible.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 08:26 PM   #674
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
WHAAAAT?!!!

Just kidding. I must have momentarily forgotten your reason for that. You don't like TNG, you don't have a Blu-ray player/HDTV or you don't have the money?
I have a blu-ray player, and I even bought the complete TOS, but in the last few years I've started to question my need to own any movies at all. As much money as I spent on TOS (admittedly a steal compared to the old VHS prices of $12.99 an episode), I can stream it in HD on Netflix anytime I want for $10 a month. I can stream all the Trek series and films all I want, as well as other things I like, like the Twilight Zone in HD. I just can't justify the expense anymore. All my movies have ended up in storage, donated, or, in the case of my TOS sets, at my dad's house. Of course, TNG in HD available yet for streaming, but sure enough, it will be one of these days.

Even aside from that, I'm just not much of a Trek fan anymore. It's still fun to come here, though, and talk about something that was a big part of my past, as well as to see what's going on in Trek today.
Old August 10 2013, 10:51 PM   #675
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
WHAAAAT?!!!

I have a blu-ray player, and I even bought the complete TOS, but in the last few years I've started to question my need to own any movies at all. As much money as I spent on TOS (admittedly a steal compared to the old VHS prices of $12.99 an episode), I can stream it in HD on Netflix anytime I want for $10 a month. I can stream all the Trek series and films all I want, as well as other things I like, like the Twilight Zone in HD. I just can't justify the expense anymore. All my movies have ended up in storage, donated, or, in the case of my TOS sets, at my dad's house. Of course, TNG in HD available yet for streaming, but sure enough, it will be one of these days.

Even aside from that, I'm just not much of a Trek fan anymore. It's still fun to come here, though, and talk about something that was a big part of my past, as well as to see what's going on in Trek today.
Okay, I remember you expressing that before... it's all starting to come back to me now.

The only problem I have with streaming (other than the higher compression and lower fidelity audio), is that things come and go willy-nilly. You know, contracts expire and these streaming companies may eventually decide that something isn't quite popular enough to justify wasting server space and bandwidth on... and it'll just go away. Like forever.

I enjoy Netflix and use it just as you do, but as a supplement only. Right now (since you bring it up) it's kind of bizarre that Netflix is only letting us watch the first two seasons of the classic Twilight Zone. What happened to Seasons 3-5? You got me! Let's say it's just a momentary thing and they'll be back... but say I really wanted to watch the episode "To Serve Man" right now. That's incredibly annoying that I can't do that. But, see, if I own the whole series on Blu-ray, I never have to worry about that happening. With streaming only, you're giving up total control to a company who's more interested in the bottom line and key demographics then any particular viewer's idiosyncratic interests. It's not uncommon for them to shed thousands of titles at a time. Poof! Gone!