New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old August 7 2013, 11:31 PM   #646
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Re: Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
Another point is: do we really need to split hairs and find all the minor imperfections in the first place?

RAMA
Well, I suppose it depends on how much you care about the final product. Do you want the episodes to look and sound the best they can? Do you want there to be errors that didn't exist on the DVDs? You just wrote in the S5 thread that you want ships replaced in Unification because you didn't like how they looked originally.

How many hoops do you want CBS-Digital to jump through, RAMA? You're splitting hairs and finding all the minor imperfections!
I care insomuch as there are no matte lines, and nothing impairs my viewing..if I'm looking for mistakes then I'm not enjoying the clarity, color correction, and overall story.

The Vulcans ships were badly filmed, and are not consistent with Enterprise, I wouldn't mind a change, though I know it won't happen. I always said I felt that correcting something they didn't originally have time for or was planned and unable to be executed were within the purview of the restoration.
Old August 8 2013, 01:17 AM   #647
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
Another point is: do we really need to split hairs and find all the minor imperfections in the first place?

RAMA
Well, I suppose it depends on how much you care about the final product. Do you want the episodes to look and sound the best they can? Do you want there to be errors that didn't exist on the DVDs? You just wrote in the S5 thread that you want ships replaced in Unification because you didn't like how they looked originally.

How many hoops do you want CBS-Digital to jump through, RAMA? You're splitting hairs and finding all the minor imperfections!
I care insomuch as there are no matte lines, and nothing impairs my viewing..if I'm looking for mistakes then I'm not enjoying the clarity, color correction, and overall story.

The Vulcans ships were badly filmed, and are not consistent with Enterprise, I wouldn't mind a change, though I know it won't happen. I always said I felt that correcting something they didn't originally have time for or was planned and unable to be executed were within the purview of the restoration.
Let me ask you this: do you believe CBS made a mistake by replacing discs in S1?
Old August 8 2013, 03:32 AM   #648
cbspock
Rear Admiral

The 4 footer in Nth Degree looked really good in the over the saucer shots

-Chris
Old August 8 2013, 03:37 AM   #649
cbspock
Rear Admiral

I don't know what all the bitching is about but I really think the restoration of TNG has been well executed. The episodes look fantastic and faithful to the way it looked in the 80s of course now with better clarity, color, etc. This wasn't a redo like they did for the original series because the original elements didn't exist for the effects shots.

After all these years we should be used to Star Trek fans who could suck the fun out of any star trek project.

-Chris
Old August 8 2013, 11:02 AM   #650
DJ Mike
Ensign

I think it's a shame that mistakes do slip through, but we should cut CBS (and their partners) a little slack. They're reproducing the entire show almost from scratch (short of reshooting/rerecording the raw film/audio stems), and in a very tight schedule. Look at the broadcast episodes and how many production errors got in there! The only reason it sticks out here is because we have a baseline reference (i.e. the broadcast versions) to compare to.

It's a TV show. That we're getting it remastered is nothing short of incredible. I'll take 99% faithfulness to the original over having 0% any day!

However, the one thing we shouldn't stop doing is making CBS aware either directly or indirectly of these errors - because, as others have said, CBS needs to keep the standard as high as possible, so that higher degrees of mistakes don't slip into the remaining seasons.
DJ Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 11:36 AM   #651
Jeyl
Commodore

Uh, question. And I apologize if this has been brought up already. In "The Best of Both Worlds Part 2", wasn't there supposed to be a "fade in" effect to the episode after "And now the conclusion"? The shot of Locutus just pops up there.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 03:28 PM   #652
cbspock
Rear Admiral

DJ Mike wrote: View Post
I think it's a shame that mistakes do slip through, but we should cut CBS (and their partners) a little slack. They're reproducing the entire show almost from scratch (short of reshooting/rerecording the raw film/audio stems), and in a very tight schedule. Look at the broadcast episodes and how many production errors got in there! The only reason it sticks out here is because we have a baseline reference (i.e. the broadcast versions) to compare to.

It's a TV show. That we're getting it remastered is nothing short of incredible. I'll take 99% faithfulness to the original over having 0% any day!

However, the one thing we shouldn't stop doing is making CBS aware either directly or indirectly of these errors - because, as others have said, CBS needs to keep the standard as high as possible, so that higher degrees of mistakes don't slip into the remaining seasons.

I agree they have been pretty flawless in their ability to reproduce the episodes for a second time under the constraints they are working under and in the process tweaking some of the effects when possible like planets but staying true to the original effects intent. It is just amazing they even had the footage to even do this project. This is unheard of for a tv series to go through this, studios just don't want to make the investment to undertake a project like this.

I would rather have this effort in preserving the originals than what Lucasfilm did with the Star Wars films where he pissed all over the original theatrical cuts he didn't even preserve them for historical purposes. We all know Han shot first, but his change, changed the character. We aren't getting that type of treatment from CBS Digital. They want to preserve all the blood, sweat and tears that went into making TNG the first time. They even did it with the original series, that is why the CGI Enterprise looks like a model in some cases. Can't have a CGI Enterprise in the style of Galactica when they beam down to sets of styrofoam rocks.

-Chris
Old August 8 2013, 04:07 PM   #653
cbspock
Rear Admiral

Jut watched Qpid. Love this episode. I remember seeing it the first time at one of the ICON convention at Stony Brook university when they debuted it there, before it was on television. It was really cool seeing it with an audience.

-Chris
Old August 8 2013, 08:18 PM   #654
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Jeyl wrote: View Post
Uh, question. And I apologize if this has been brought up already. In "The Best of Both Worlds Part 2", wasn't there supposed to be a "fade in" effect to the episode after "And now the conclusion"? The shot of Locutus just pops up there.
Yeah, minor change there. Later on in Redemption, the shot of Sela doesn't freeze-frame. The shot continues, and then fades to the credits.
jimbotron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 09:32 PM   #655
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Kind of a happy error if you ask me. Freeze frames are pretty cheesy.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 10:29 PM   #656
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

Season 4 made it to a respectable #7 on the Blu-ray sales charts for the week ending August 4th, selling approximately 2 units for every 100 units of G.I. Joe: Retaliation which was the #1 seller (and the big new release that week). The Redemption disc made it to #16, selling about 1.3 units for every 100 of G.I. Joe: Retaliation. Because S4 made it into the top 10, which hasn't been the case since S1, we should be able to see what it made when the-numbers.com publishes their top 10 figures with actual $ amounts. We'll also be able to infer how much the Redemption disc made by looking at the units sold figures for G.I. Joe: Retaliation.

http://homemediamagazine.com/top-sel...k-ended-080413
Old August 9 2013, 01:38 AM   #657
NewHorizon
Captain

Looking back on Season 3, which only made it to number 15 on the list, it sold 6.6 units for every hundred copies of Silver Linings Playbook. Roughly 3 times as many units as Season 4. I'll be curious to see how Season 5 does since it's a CBS-Digital season.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 02:47 AM   #658
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

NewHorizon wrote: View Post
Looking back on Season 3, which only made it to number 15 on the list, it sold 6.6 units for every hundred copies of Silver Linings Playbook. Roughly 3 times as many units as Season 4. I'll be curious to see how Season 5 does since it's a CBS-Digital season.
Well, it all hinges on how many units the #1 title sold. It's very likely that G.I. Joe: Retaliation sold more units than Silver Linings Playbook did in their respective weeks. As I said, we just sort of have to wait for the final dollar amounts from the-numbers.com. So, just keep your eyes on that link over the next several days.
Old August 9 2013, 02:51 AM   #659
Dream
Admiral

Why would someone buy S3 and ignore the rest of TNG?

I see two groups of TNG Blu-Ray buyers.

Those that will be buying S1-S7, and those that will be waiting for the "good" seasons and only get S3-S7.
Old August 9 2013, 05:03 AM   #660
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

There are also apparently the fans who refuse to buy seasons 2 and 4.
jimbotron is online now   Reply With Quote