Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old August 7 2013, 01:15 AM   #631
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Re: Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

It counts as TNGR sloppiness.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 03:02 AM   #632
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Tosk wrote: View Post
I guess we're stuck with mild disappointments all 'round this time. Terrible CG space babies, repeated/missing credits, missing sound effects, skipped frames...
...dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!
Old August 7 2013, 03:31 AM   #633
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

Tosk wrote: View Post
I guess we're stuck with mild disappointments all 'round this time. Terrible CG space babies, repeated/missing credits, missing sound effects, skipped frames...and probably more to come.
I know I sound like a broken record, but if CBS wants to catch all the mistakes and avoid costly recalls, they should put the episodes up on startrek.com as they're completed (Seasons 1 & 2 are up there right now in remastered form in SD) and fans could then submit error reports. They're already done remastering Season 5. What errors are just waiting to be found by eager fans?

Fine CBS, you don't want our help... good luck finding all the mistakes!
Old August 7 2013, 12:53 PM   #634
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
I know I sound like a broken record, but if CBS wants to catch all the mistakes and avoid costly recalls, they should put the episodes up on startrek.com as they're completed and fans could then submit error reports.
I told you last year that I believe this to be a rather delicate approach and close to admitting "we probably overlooked a few items and made mistakes". I don't believe that CBS-D is willing to risk to "loose face" in public.

Better to have somebody competent and reliable to collaborate with CBS "behind the scenes" to evaluate the material prior to its release - someone like yourself...

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 12:58 PM   #635
Jeyl
Commodore

This is going to be a tough season for me to sit through because I know that it will be the last season that Ron Jones was a composer on the series.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 01:31 PM   #636
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

Jeyl wrote: View Post
This is going to be a tough season for me to sit through because I know that it will be the last season that Ron Jones was a composer on the series.
Yes, the series (and much of what followed) was largely robbed of some genuine depth by the introduction of the uber-bland "muzak" style. For me, this policy was one of the worst decisions taken by producers in modern Trek - it just seemed to add a layer of totally unnecessary blandness to the show(s).
Old August 7 2013, 02:44 PM   #637
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

What was Ron Jones' final episode? For some reason I was thinking it was BOBW2, but definitely noticed his style even before seeing him in the credits while watching "Brothers" last night.

[Edit] Nevermind, just looked at the season 4 credits in the TNG Companion, and it looks like he did all odd-numbered episodes this season ending with "The Drumhead". Jay Chattaway did episode 179 and the last two odd-numbered episodes of the season.
Old August 7 2013, 04:39 PM   #638
cbspock
Rear Admiral

I just got up to Clues, the opening shot of the Enterprise approaching the nebula looked really good.

-Chris
Old August 7 2013, 08:17 PM   #639
cbspock
Rear Admiral

Watching Galaxy's Child. So they can just shut off the warp core like its a light bulb?? I don't think Geordi even notified the bridge. He also restarted it again like it was a light bulb.

-Chris
Old August 7 2013, 09:03 PM   #640
cbspock
Rear Admiral

I thought Galaxy's Child looked okay, as good as the original, the creature always looked fake.

-Chris
Old August 7 2013, 09:46 PM   #641
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

cbspock wrote: View Post
Watching Galaxy's Child. So they can just shut off the warp core like its a light bulb?? I don't think Geordi even notified the bridge. He also restarted it again like it was a light bulb.

-Chris
I noticed that too. What if Picard calls for warp power? And the warp core appears to not need a shutdown sequence or restart? So in Star Trek Into Darkness (but not ST'09 oddly), the ship loses power when the warp core goes out. So in TNG, if the warp core only powers the warp engines, then what powers the rest of the ship?

Another plot hole is in The Drumhead. The warp core is out of service, yet the nacelles are glowing at the start.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 10:02 PM   #642
cbspock
Rear Admiral

jimbotron wrote: View Post
cbspock wrote: View Post

-Chris
I noticed that too. What if Picard calls for warp power? And the warp core appears to not need a shutdown sequence or restart? So in Star Trek Into Darkness (but not ST'09 oddly), the ship loses power when the warp core goes out. So in TNG, if the warp core only powers the warp engines, then what powers the rest of the ship?

Another plot hole is in The Drumhead. The warp core is out of service, yet the nacelles are glowing at the start.

It is odd because in TOS when the warp engines were offline, power was generated using auxillary power or the impulse engines. In Trek 09 they ejected the bottles, in Into Darkness the computer shutdown the core because of a fault and then at the end it was shut down because of damage so we didn't get to see either a start up or shutdown the normal way. It was kind of weird in into darkness that the ship couldnt get power from the impulse engines unless they were destroyed.

I think there have been several episodes of TNG where the core just gets shut off like in Relics when Scotty pulls the crystal assembly.

-Chris
Old August 7 2013, 10:26 PM   #643
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Better to have somebody competent and reliable to collaborate with CBS "behind the scenes" to evaluate the material prior to its release - someone like yourself...
They do have somebody like that. Everyone working on the project has access to the master files on CBS-Digital's server. The Okudas are looking at them as they're completed, so are Roger Lay, Jr. and Robert Meyer Burnett. And still things slip through. It's inevitable. One more schlub like me isn't going to help. You need tens of thousands of trained eyes and ears watching and listening to be 99.99% certain you've caught all the potential errors.

You're suggestion is very kind, but I am not infallible. No one single person is. Ten aren't. A hundred aren't. Even a thousand. Make that number ten thousand, or a hundred thousand... now you're cooking!
Old August 7 2013, 10:38 PM   #644
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
They do have somebody like that. Everyone working on the project has access to the master files on CBS-Digital's server. The Okudas are looking at them as they're completed, so are Roger Lay, Jr. and Robert Meyer Burnett. And still things slip through. It's inevitable. One more schlub like me isn't going to help. You need tens of thousands of trained eyes and ears watching and listening to be 99.99% certain you've caught all the potential errors.

You're suggestion is very kind, but I am not infallible. No one single person is. Ten aren't. A hundred aren't. Even a thousand. Make that number ten thousand, or a hundred thousand... now you're cooking!

Another point is: do we really need to split hairs and find all the minor imperfections in the first place?

RAMA
Old August 7 2013, 10:57 PM   #645
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

RAMA wrote: View Post
Another point is: do we really need to split hairs and find all the minor imperfections in the first place?

RAMA
Well, I suppose it depends on how much you care about the final product. Do you want the episodes to look and sound the best they can? Do you want there to be errors that didn't exist on the DVDs? You just wrote in the S5 thread that you want ships replaced in Unification because you didn't like how they looked originally.

How many hoops do you want CBS-Digital to jump through, RAMA? You're splitting hairs and finding all the minor imperfections!