A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old August 6 2013, 12:38 AM   #616
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Re: Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

So I watched Galaxy's Child last night, and wow...the CG Infant really is awful, isn't it?. I'd seen the stills, I knew it wasn't great, but the motion is even worse than the textures. Some shots aren't too terrible, but the birth is brutal.

I also watched Data's Day. Did anyone else think the dialogue/music and effects were mixed a bit oddly in several scenes? When Data informs O'Brien of "the good news" that Keiko was calling off the wedding, the music seemed very loud compared to O'Brien's yelling. Data's voiceover seemed okay, but regular dialogue seemed soft.

But boy did they look nice in all other ways. I continue to love that we're getting these at all.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 03:55 AM   #617
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

My discs finally arrived from Amazon today (hooray!) and I just got done watching "Family". One thing I noticed this time around that I never really noticed in SD is that Picard still has scarring from his Borg implants here. Definitely noticeable in his quarters at the beginning, with a red scar surrounded by pale skin above his right eyebrow and pale skin around his right sideburn. When he gets to France, the forehead scar has faded but is still there. The pale sideburns skin is still slightly noticeable when he's walking with Louis outside. When he says his goodbyes to Robert's family at the end, the forehead scar is missing, but reappears when he's back aboard the Enterprise. Continuity error!
Old August 6 2013, 03:59 AM   #618
Borjis
Commodore

Can someone help identify an episode?

In season 4 extras disc 6.
Part 1 homecoming

They show a scene w picard and Dr crusher.
He says something about being a friend to her.
She turns to him with a sad look and hugs him.

Which one is that?
Borjis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 04:37 AM   #619
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

I'm pretty sure that's The Host.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 04:42 AM   #620
cbspock
Rear Admiral

Tosk wrote: View Post
So I watched Galaxy's Child last night, and wow...the CG Infant really is awful, isn't it?. I'd seen the stills, I knew it wasn't great, but the motion is even worse than the textures. Some shots aren't too terrible, but the birth is brutal.

I also watched Data's Day. Did anyone else think the dialogue/music and effects were mixed a bit oddly in several scenes? When Data informs O'Brien of "the good news" that Keiko was calling off the wedding, the music seemed very loud compared to O'Brien's yelling. Data's voiceover seemed okay, but regular dialogue seemed soft.

But boy did they look nice in all other ways. I continue to love that we're getting these at all.

Seemed to be okay to me. I just finished watching this episode. I really love the shot of Data sitting at the back consoles on the bridge, the shot of the displays etc, really pop. The sets this season look really great. Did they change the fabric on the bridge chairs this season?? The bridge seems a little different than in Season 3. I noticed in this episode the corridors are lit really bright.

-Chris
Old August 6 2013, 10:48 AM   #621
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

Just a heads up for people who might've suspected they're not hearing everything they should in "Night Terrors."

A poster named Scylla in the Season 4 thread at Blu-ray.com noticed that there are two brief sound effects missing from the episode. It's when Riker first enters his quarters in Chapter 4. There are two wood creaks (at 19:43 and 19:55) that are gone on both the DTS-HD MA 7.1 and the Dolby Digital English 2.0 tracks, but they are present on all the foreign audio tracks. I checked my DVD and the creaks are definitely there on the old English DD 5.1 track -- in both the front right and rear right channels. So this is a clear oversight when Chace Audio rebuilt the mix for this episode.

BTW, this is the same disc with the really shoddy CGI in "Galaxy's Child." It's probably too much to hope that CBS-Digital might correct both and reissue the disc. Technically the low-quality CGI can't really be considered an error (except for a very minor compositing mistake in the birthing shot that I wrote about before)... and it would surely cost them a lot of money. I'm sure the last thing they want is a repeat of their S1 experience.

Oh, well. Doesn't destroy the episode, but it's definitely disappointing as we're meant to see AND hear what the crew is experiencing. Anyway, the takeaway here is no... you're not crazy and you're not stuck in a Tyken's Rift.

And with that, I'm going to go get some REM sleep.
Old August 6 2013, 11:21 AM   #622
d514
Ensign

I thought the DD English 2.0 track is the original audio without any remastering. How can there be something missing?
d514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 05:44 PM   #623
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
Just a heads up for people who might've suspected they're not hearing everything they should in "Night Terrors."

A poster named Scylla in the Season 4 thread at Blu-ray.com noticed that there are two brief sound effects missing from the episode. It's when Riker first enters his quarters in Chapter 4. There are two wood creaks (at 19:43 and 19:55) that are gone on both the DTS-HD MA 7.1 and the Dolby Digital English 2.0 tracks, but they are present on all the foreign audio tracks. I checked my DVD and the creaks are definitely there on the old English DD 5.1 track -- in both the front right and rear right channels. So this is a clear oversight when Chace Audio rebuilt the mix for this episode.

BTW, this is the same disc with the really shoddy CGI in "Galaxy's Child." It's probably too much to hope that CBS-Digital might correct both and reissue the disc. Technically the low-quality CGI can't really be considered an error (except for a very minor compositing mistake in the birthing shot that I wrote about before)... and it would surely cost them a lot of money. I'm sure the last thing they want is a repeat of their S1 experience.

Oh, well. Doesn't destroy the episode, but it's definitely disappointing as we're meant to see AND hear what the crew is experiencing. Anyway, the takeaway here is no... you're not crazy and you're not stuck in a Tyken's Rift.

I think I misunderstand. There were two creaking sounds, probably the sets or other unintended noise, and they're missing so we want the disc to be remixed and remanufactured so we have those creaking sounds? Or were the sounds intended and their absence causes a continuity issue in the episode?
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 06:04 PM   #624
Scotty
Rear Admiral

Doug Otte wrote: View Post

I think I misunderstand. There were two creaking sounds, probably the sets or other unintended noise, and they're missing so we want the disc to be remixed and remanufactured so we have those creaking sounds? Or were the sounds intended and their absence causes a continuity issue in the episode?
The sounds are part of the hallucinations Riker is having because of sleep deprivation. They are intended and an integral part of the scene. I haven't seen the episode yet, but I recall that Riker actually reacts to the sounds. So I guess you now see Riker reacting to a sound that's no longer there.

To me, the season 4 set is a minor disappointment, similar to the season 2 set. But I'm actually spotting far more remastering mistakes in this set compared to the season 2 set, while Modern Video only had to do visual effects and HTV remastered everything. We got misalignment issues on many shots, poor CGI, missing sound effects, etc... A real shame, ,especially after the perfection that is season 3.

Last edited by Scotty; August 7 2013 at 07:06 AM.
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 06:54 PM   #625
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

No they are definitely foley sound effects that were recorded separately and placed into the original mix because they are only in the front right and back right channels on the DVD. But your confusion brings up a possible explanation: did Chace deliberately remove the sounds because they thought they were unwanted production audio artifacts? That would be very amusing.
Old August 6 2013, 07:03 PM   #626
NewHorizon
Captain

Scotty wrote: View Post
To me, the season 4 set is a minor disappointment, similar to the season 2 set. But I'm actually spotting far more remastering mistakes in this set compared to the season 2 set, while Modern Video only had to do visual effects and HTV remastered everything. We got misalignment issues on many shots, poor CGI, missing sound effects, etc... A real shame, ,especially after the perfection that is season 3.
I suspected as much when we saw very little of MV's work in the trailer. I might have to reconsider my decision to purchase this set if I hear or see too much more is out of sorts. I don't want to, but if the work is less hit and more miss, I don't want to pay for that.

Before anyone says anything about nit-picking and how it's still better than the DVD's...yes, I know...but I have 2 dollars in my account until payday due to a hoard of unexpected expenses. I refuse to spend my money on something I might not be satisfied with.

Last edited by NewHorizon; August 6 2013 at 07:39 PM.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 08:08 PM   #627
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

The same person spotted another small audio glitch in "Identity Crisis." That's the same disc, #4, btw. I confirmed it by popping in the DVD and checking for the error, which was absent. I also answered another poster's question about a brief frame jump later in the episode:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=674
Old August 6 2013, 11:40 PM   #628
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

Scotty wrote: View Post

The sounds are part of the hallucinations Riker is having because of sleep deprivation. They are intended and an integral part of the scene. I haven't seen the episode yet, but I recall that Riker actually reacts to the sounds. So I guess you know see Riker reacting to a sound that's no longer there.

Thanks for clarifying about the sound effects (thanks to Max, too). Yes, that's an important omission.

I haven't cracked open the set yet (still leisurely working my way through Season 3). I wonder if their teams are getting burned out, and thus getting sloppy or careless. Maybe they think they've proven themselves, and can get by w/ lower standards now...

Last edited by Doug Otte; August 7 2013 at 02:59 PM.
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 12:38 AM   #629
Tosk
Rear Admiral

I guess we're stuck with mild disappointments all 'round this time. Terrible CG space babies, repeated/missing credits, missing sound effects, skipped frames...and probably more to come.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 01:06 AM   #630
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

The repeated/missing credits is only on the Redemption solo release, which technically doesn't count towards season 4.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote