TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old June 21 2013, 07:12 AM   #316
MikeS
Fleet Captain

Re: Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
And for those asking - there will be no theatrical event for Season Four. Sorry, folks.
Do you know / are you able to tell us why?
Old June 23 2013, 10:13 PM   #317
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

TrekCore, would you happen to have the HD shot of drydock from Family?

I'd love to see how Modern Video updated it. Hopefully it follows the 'darker' lighting scheme that CBS-D employed in Redemption

The Enterprise was way overlit originally.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 11:07 PM   #318
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile

jimbotron wrote: View Post
TrekCore, would you happen to have the HD shot of drydock from Family?

I'd love to see how Modern Video updated it. Hopefully it follows the 'darker' lighting scheme that CBS-D employed in Redemption

The Enterprise was way overlit originally.
We do have this shot, but won't be starting up Season Four shots for a week or so yet. Unfortunately it's still pretty overlit in the remastered version. Not terrible, but not great either. McKinley station looks great though, lots of detail on that.

Keep an eye on our facebook, there will be some new shots slowly starting to appear on there over the coming days and weeks
Old June 24 2013, 04:38 AM   #319
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Thanks for the info, TrekCore!

Based on that and the trailer comparisons on your site, it looks like Modern Video is following the HTV mantra of recreating the original appearance of the visuals, only in HD. Though this time, they appear to not be cutting corners.

That's in contrast to (edit: CBS-D's) work which improves and updates the original appearance, especially in terms of lighting.

Last edited by jimbotron; June 24 2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old June 24 2013, 09:32 AM   #320
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

Based on that and the trailer comparisons on your site, it looks like Modern Video is following the HTV mantra of recreating the original appearance of the visuals, only in HD. Though this time, they appear to not be cutting corners.

That's in contrast to HTV's work which improves and updates the original appearance, especially in terms of lighting.
I assume u mean CBS-D in your last paragraph. But yes, that seems to be the case. Although there are certainly some parts where you can see they've tried hard to mimic the CBS-D "extra love" with lighting and blending. There is some great work in episodes like "Suddenly Human" and "Reunion" on that front.
Old June 24 2013, 11:27 AM   #321
Jefferies
Captain

FrontierTrek wrote: View Post

That's in contrast to HTV's work which improves and updates the original appearance, especially in terms of lighting.
I assume u mean CBS-D in your last paragraph. But yes, that seems to be the case. Although there are certainly some parts where you can see they've tried hard to mimic the CBS-D "extra love" with lighting and blending. There is some great work in episodes like "Suddenly Human" and "Reunion" on that front.
I wonder what the difficulty is in improving the lighting? Is it technically very demanding to the degree that most companies can't manage it? If it isn't then it's just a matter of cutting corners and I find that kind of approach very disappointing. I wish they wouldn't out-source this work to all these no-name companies.
Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 04:25 PM   #322
NewHorizon
Captain

Yeah, the thing I've noticed in the Season 4 trailer is the lighting. Compositing and overall quality of the work looks better than HTV but the over lit look of some of the shots really makes that 4 foot model look terrible in HD. Modern Video really needed more guidance and time on the lighting.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 07:24 PM   #323
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Whoops, I meant CBS-D.

I get the feeling I will still be satisfied. I'm glad CBS-D is working on the rest of the show though.
Old June 24 2013, 08:55 PM   #324
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

We've got hold of the new trailer for "Redemption" on Blu-ray over at TrekCore with loads of HD stills and analysis
Old June 24 2013, 08:57 PM   #325
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I love the trailer guy for these sets, but I did not expect the end of the Redemption trailer. That was too funny.
Old June 24 2013, 09:06 PM   #326
Jefferies
Captain

Once again I am gobsmaked. This is incredible work. Why can't Modern Video do something like this?
Old June 24 2013, 10:13 PM   #327
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

Jefferies wrote: View Post
I wish they wouldn't out-source this work to all these no-name companies.
Well, Modern VideoFilm is not a no-name company. They've been around since 1985 and, in fact, they have a history with Trek:

http://www.mvfinc.com/credits/index.htm

NewHorizon wrote: View Post
Yeah, the thing I've noticed in the Season 4 trailer is the lighting. Compositing and overall quality of the work looks better than HTV but the over lit look of some of the shots really makes that 4 foot model look terrible in HD. Modern Video really needed more guidance and time on the lighting.
Understand that some of that "over lit look" is original to the source and the intent of the VFX Supervisors like Dan Curry -- such as the bright, sun-lit Enterprise from "Half a Life." MVF can't go back in time and tell the lighting guys at Image G to turn down this light or that light, or put it over here instead of over there. They could artificially darken the layers in compositing sure, but their directive isn't to significantly diverge from the original intent.

I think as long as we don't get any geometric distortion or misaligned layers ala HTV, I think everything will be just fine.
Old June 24 2013, 10:39 PM   #328
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
I love the trailer guy for these sets, but I did not expect the end of the Redemption trailer. That was too funny.
Wow, what the heck was that? Nice line to end it with too.
Old June 25 2013, 12:39 AM   #329
NewHorizon
Captain

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post

Understand that some of that "over lit look" is original to the source and the intent of the VFX Supervisors like Dan Curry -- such as the bright, sun-lit Enterprise from "Half a Life." MVF can't go back in time and tell the lighting guys at Image G to turn down this light or that light, or put it over here instead of over there. They could artificially darken the layers in compositing sure, but their directive isn't to significantly diverge from the original intent.

I think as long as we don't get any geometric distortion or misaligned layers ala HTV, I think everything will be just fine.

Still, CBS-D has worked wonders with a vast majority of the overlit shots. Just look at the Redemption trailer above, outstanding.

I'm hoping that CBS-D had the ability to make some adjustments during the final conform to lessen the issues evident in the Season 4 trailer.

I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I'll buy Season 4 at this point. I haven't seen enough of Modern V's work to know if it's 'close enough'.

THANK GOD CBS-D is doing the rest of the seasons.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 01:08 AM   #330
Jefferies
Captain

Are they really doing 5, 6 and 7?

If they are that probably doesnt bode well for DS9-R. Unless they are planning for a longer gap between the release of TNG-R season 7 and season 1 of DS9-R?