A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old May 14 2013, 01:27 PM   #256
Jeyl
Commodore

Re: Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Dream wrote: View Post
NewHorizon wrote: View Post
Actually, I would prefer if CBS farmed out Voyager and did DS9 inhouse.
Only because you hate VOY right?
Well, I would say that unlike Voyager, Deep Space Nine is the place where things actually happen. In Voyager, Harry Kim starts as an Ensign, and ends as an Ensign. In Deep Space Nine, Rom starts out as a petty thief and ends as a Starfleet officer who manned a bridge station onboard both Defiant ships. Voyager is about spending seven years going from one point of the galaxy to another, where Deep Space Nine dealt with a quadrant scale war that involved all the major powers.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 10:23 PM   #257
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

I bet the Redemption Blu-ray will have a similar cover to BOBW. The cover will fold open to show Worf in a Starfleet uniform underneath the Klingon uniform.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 05:04 AM   #258
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Jeyl wrote: View Post
In Deep Space Nine, Rom starts out as a petty thief and ends as a Starfleet officer who manned a bridge station onboard both Defiant ships.
That's Nog you're thinking of. Rom started out as an idiot bartender and ended up Grand Nagus.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 05:08 AM   #259
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Tosk wrote: View Post
In Deep Space Nine, Rom starts out as a petty thief and ends as a Starfleet officer who manned a bridge station onboard both Defiant ships.
That's Nog you're thinking of. Rom started out as an idiot bartender and ended up Grand Nagus.
When one even writes that, I wonder how the hell did that happen. Rom being Grand Negus seemed so awkward.
Old May 15 2013, 01:07 PM   #260
Jeyl
Commodore

Sorry about that. But you see? Even the idiot guest stars get more character development than Voyager's main character Harry Kim.
Old May 15 2013, 01:41 PM   #261
DJ Mike
Ensign

Indeed, that was DS9's crowning achievement - superb supporting characters that breathed such life and depth into the story over its 7 year span. By the end of Voyager you couldn't help but feel like the characters were barely any different from where they started. Well, except Paris and Torres had a baby, Seven Of Nine replaced Kes, and Janeway got a new hairdo.
DJ Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 02:56 PM   #262
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Sorry about that. But you see? Even the idiot guest stars get more character development than Voyager's main character Harry Kim.
I wasn't really having a go at you, of course. Just having fun with the fact that the guy you accidentally named also had more growth than Harry.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 03:15 PM   #263
Jeyl
Commodore

I wasn't really having a go at you, of course. Just having fun with the fact that the guy you accidentally named also had more growth than Harry.
Oh, I knew you weren't having a go at me. I thought your response nailed it.

DJ Mike wrote:
Indeed, that was DS9's crowning achievement - superb supporting characters that breathed such life and depth into the story over its 7 year span. By the end of Voyager you couldn't help but feel like the characters were barely any different from where they started. Well, except Paris and Torres had a baby, Seven Of Nine replaced Kes, and Janeway got a new hairdo.
That is another reason why I think it's a wonderful series. When you get down to it, it's not just the minor characters who get more screen time and development than any other supporting characters from the series, it's also the non-human characters who get the screen time and development. Deep Space Nine is truly the most "alien" series of the franchise. It actually had stories that didn't even involve the humans characters.

Odo, Kira, Quark, Dax, Garrak, Rom, Nog, Dukat, Worf and even the background character who doesn't shut up, Morn all get their own stories told through their perspectives. For example, if we were on TOS or TNG, we would learn about the different alien cultures from the perspective of the human characters. That was the way Gene wanted Star Trek (DC Fontana even quoted him saying "If we're not doing a story about humans, what's the point?") In DS9 when we have a story involving the Ferengi culture, we learn about it through the perspective of the Ferengi characters! Having these different races and cultures tell their own story really does a lot in broadening the scope of the Star Trek universe.

Now I'm not bringing up these points to argue why DS9 is good and TNG/TOS is bad. I wouldn't have Deep Space Nine if it didn't have TOS or TNG. I just like how Star Trek was willing to give it's non-human characters the ability to take the center stage in shaping the universe they inhabit.

Gah, I can't wait to see Deep Space Nine in High Definition in Season Six.
Old May 15 2013, 07:46 PM   #264
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile

CBS just sent us the full press release for Season 4 and Redemption which lists the Bonus Content of both sets:

http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/05/tng...press-release/
Old May 15 2013, 07:57 PM   #265
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
CBS just sent us the full press release for Season 4 and Redemption which lists the Bonus Content of both sets:

http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/05/tng...press-release/
A shame there's only two commentaries, but those are probably the best episodes to hear about - especially hearing from Rob Bowman about his "return" to TNG. I think the story went that he was let go during season 2, but when it came to doing the splitscreen effects for Data/Lore/Soong, Bowman was the best man for the job, so Berman had to hire him back for one more episode.

I figured season 4 would have been a great time to address the change in composers. Ron Jones was fired after scoring The Drumhead. I trust there will eventually be a section of the bonus features dedicated to Ron Jones, Jay Chattaway, Dennis McCarthy, and the guest composers.

HD deleted scenes for 8 episodes? Great news.
Old May 15 2013, 08:17 PM   #266
Aatrek
Rear Admiral

jimbotron wrote: View Post
I figured season 4 would have been a great time to address the change in composers. Ron Jones was fired after scoring The Drumhead. I trust there will eventually be a section of the bonus features dedicated to Ron Jones, Jay Chattaway, Dennis McCarthy, and the guest composers.
TrekCore's interview with Roger Lay addressed the composers issue - that's something they're trying to put together for a later release.
Aatrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 08:44 PM   #267
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

On the subject of the standalone releases, has CBS said that we'd get one release per season, or is that just an assumption on our part? Is there a likelihood that they'll just end up doing standalone releases for all the 2-parters?
Old May 15 2013, 08:52 PM   #268
Aatrek
Rear Admiral

There's no way the release schedule would support more than one per season.
Aatrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 09:04 PM   #269
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Aatrek wrote: View Post
There's no way the release schedule would support more than one per season.
Wondered whether they could stretch to two per season, but completely forgot that season 6 would have three two-parters, which would seem highly unlikely.

Ah well. I imagine we'll be getting "Unification" as that would seem to yield better extras opportunities than "Time's Arrow", and then "Chain of Command" and "All Good Things".
Old May 15 2013, 09:39 PM   #270
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

And I couldn't imagine them coming up with any decent bonus features for Birthright and Gambit. I'm sure if asked, no one involved would remember them.