Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old May 1 2013, 01:44 AM   #136
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Re: Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

MikeS wrote: View Post

I wonder what caused them to change tact - To ensure continuity between HTV & CBS over a season cliffhanger? If I'm correct, expect to see Times Arrow and Descent in your theatre's rather than Unification and Chain of Command.
I think they are choosing based on appeal to general audiences. People would not buy a full seasons. So subjects which are popular, The Borg and the Klingons. You can tell by the cover art. Its similar to the themed Fan Collective sets.

So I have no doubt this will be done with Unification. Its an easy sell. I have heard TOS fans complain that they want the guest appearances episodes without needing to buy the whole seasons. I could see causal fans, whether older or from the new films, being curious to see it too.

Also I think being a two parter within a season, it works better as a movie than some of the later cliffhangers. Which were not written to be seen as a movie. The cliffhangers often felt like having a climax in the middle of a movie, so that the second have was usually a let down. The first part of Unification is a build up, the Search for... Spock. So I think it actually plays much better as a movie than as two separate episodes.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 02:39 PM   #137
DJ Mike
Ensign

Amazon UK have this up for pre-order for just £41 right now which is the lowest they've ever had one of these before release!
DJ Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 03:38 PM   #138
Ysmalari
Ensign

Yup if you're a UK customer I'd get in on that Amazon pre-order now if you're going to pre-order from anywhere, I can't see it being cheaper than that anywhere else and I wouldn't be surprised if that price creeps up as we get closer to release. If hell freezes over and the price drops further elsewhere you can always just cancel the pre-order!
Ysmalari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 04:55 PM   #139
MikeS
Fleet Captain

Donald Draper wrote: View Post
MikeS wrote: View Post

I wonder what caused them to change tact - To ensure continuity between HTV & CBS over a season cliffhanger? If I'm correct, expect to see Times Arrow and Descent in your theatre's rather than Unification and Chain of Command.
I think they are choosing based on appeal to general audiences. People would not buy a full seasons. So subjects which are popular, The Borg and the Klingons. You can tell by the cover art. Its similar to the themed Fan Collective sets.

So I have no doubt this will be done with Unification. Its an easy sell. I have heard TOS fans complain that they want the guest appearances episodes without needing to buy the whole seasons. I could see causal fans, whether older or from the new films, being curious to see it too.

Also I think being a two parter within a season, it works better as a movie than some of the later cliffhangers. Which were not written to be seen as a movie. The cliffhangers often felt like having a climax in the middle of a movie, so that the second have was usually a let down. The first part of Unification is a build up, the Search for... Spock. So I think it actually plays much better as a movie than as two separate episodes.
I certainly hope I am wrong and you are correct.
Old May 2 2013, 06:21 PM   #140
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Releases like BOBW and Redemption serve a purpose that is lost on episodes like Unification - it combines episodes that would be separated by different discs/seasons/dates. It provides a temporary selling point by allowing fans to resolve the cliffhanger right away.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 07:29 PM   #141
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

jimbotron wrote: View Post
Releases like BOBW and Redemption serve a purpose that is lost on episodes like Unification - it combines episodes that would be separated by different discs/seasons/dates. It provides a temporary selling point by allowing fans to resolve the cliffhanger right away.
I really disliked cramming the two episodes together. I watched The Best of Both Worlds last night and it just didn't "feel" right. No great Rod Jones musical cue at the end, no "Last time on..." at the beginning of part two.

Glad I told my daughter she could have it after I watch the episode and the special features. It won't be taking up valuable real estate on my Blu-ray shelf.
Old May 2 2013, 07:35 PM   #142
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

That does not make much sense. Most people who buy the season sets have already seen the episodes and know the resolutions. You are thinking of this from only the perspective of a fan.

This is not about cliffhangers. Its about creating new movies out of tv episodes. Movies can be purchased as an impulse buy because of a lower price and being able to watch it in a single viewing. Putting Spock on a DVD cover Picard and/or Data on sale for $14.99 is going to get attention.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 08:54 PM   #143
ATimson
Rear Admiral

This is not about cliffhangers. Its about creating new movies out of tv episodes. Movies can be purchased as an impulse buy because of a lower price and being able to watch it in a single viewing. Putting Spock on a DVD cover Picard and/or Data on sale for $14.99 is going to get attention.
Which makes sense. But I don't think it's asking too much to make the joins just a little more subtle. The music cut was jarring.

(I think they should have played out the entire musical sting, and faded to blank, just like other commercial breaks in the "movie".)

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 09:48 PM   #144
NewHorizon
Captain

ATimson wrote: View Post
Which makes sense. But I don't think it's asking too much to make the joins just a little more subtle. The music cut was jarring.

(I think they should have played out the entire musical sting, and faded to blank, just like other commercial breaks in the "movie".)
As a 'feature' cut, I had no problem with it at all. I know how the original 2 parted ended. It's not like we were going to leave at the end of part 1 and come back in next week for part 2. There was no need for the cliffhanger fade out because the theatrical cut isn't a cliffhanger. It's meant to run together.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 10:15 PM   #145
GameOn
Lieutenant Commander

DJ Mike wrote: View Post
Amazon UK have this up for pre-order for just £41 right now which is the lowest they've ever had one of these before release!
Thanks I just pre-ordered it. I'm stunned that at the price seeing as season 3 was £77 to pre-order before dropping to around £50.
GameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 10:55 PM   #146
ATimson
Rear Admiral

NewHorizon wrote: View Post
There was no need for the cliffhanger fade out because the theatrical cut isn't a cliffhanger. It's meant to run together.
But there is a need to not have a sudden jump in the music there. It's a crappy cut.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 10:59 PM   #147
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

ATimson wrote: View Post
NewHorizon wrote: View Post
There was no need for the cliffhanger fade out because the theatrical cut isn't a cliffhanger. It's meant to run together.
But there is a need to not have a sudden jump in the music there. It's a crappy cut.
Yup. It jumps from one type of music to another with no transition.
Old May 2 2013, 11:12 PM   #148
Beta-Z
Lieutenant Commander

Guys, if you think that's crappy already, go listen how they raped the german version in those seconds... After that, you will be very pleased by what happened to the english one.
Beta-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 11:53 PM   #149
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Beta-Z wrote: View Post
Guys, if you think that's crappy already, go listen how they raped the german version in those seconds... After that, you will be very pleased by what happened to the english one.
Is that posted anywhere?
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 12:05 AM   #150
Beta-Z
Lieutenant Commander

I hope not.
Beta-Z is offline   Reply With Quote