Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old May 2 2013, 02:04 PM   #16
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

Re: D'deridex-class Warbird Maneuverability

Romulan engineers could probably replace a ship's "heart" while keeping the old one beating. Maybe the Empire has a "junkyard sector" where they carefully cast unusable singularities.
Old May 2 2013, 09:47 PM   #17
Santaman
Rear Admiral

I assume they can collapse the old singularity or make it go Kboom at a distance place, problem gone and also you've got some nice fireworks.
Old May 2 2013, 10:34 PM   #18
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Maybe insufficient safety regulations in disposing quantum singularities is what caused the Hobus supernova.
Old May 3 2013, 01:38 AM   #19
blssdwlf
Commodore

Huh - why not?

If the Romulans only had red matter to deactivate their AQS cores
blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 07:27 AM   #20
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

My thoughts on the singularity and how they produce energy.
Once you have the singularity in place it creates an event horizon where virtual particles that pop into existence don't annihilate themselves immediately because they get separated on this ultimate razor's edge.
The Romulans then harness those new particles to power their ships.
It is in a way the exact opposite of an antimatter/matter warpcore.
If the singularity is self sustaining it would indeed be free energy and grow slightly more powerful over time, since it's mass would increase (allthough probably not in a measurable way).
Though I don't see how it could be selfsustaining without the mass of a star or an energy input that puts a dyson sphere to shame which Kind of defeats the purpose.
Timelord Victorious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 05:01 AM   #21
SicOne
Commodore

What happens to the singularity from a destroyed warbird? Freed from its containment, does it then anchor itself in space and therefore present a navigational hazard from that point on? Or does it gravitate towards the nearest gravity well (possibly causing the Hobus supernova, as someone suggested)? If the latter, wouldn't it be a death sentence to a planet to destroy a Romulan ship in orbit?
SicOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 07:19 AM   #22
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

SicOne wrote: View Post
What happens to the singularity from a destroyed warbird? Freed from its containment, does it then anchor itself in space and therefore present a navigational hazard from that point on? Or does it gravitate towards the nearest gravity well (possibly causing the Hobus supernova, as someone suggested)? If the latter, wouldn't it be a death sentence to a planet to destroy a Romulan ship in orbit?
It might survive the destruction if it is self-sustaining, but then it really needed to be the mass of a star.
I don't think they hurl around super dense black holes with warp speed.

This is as much magic as other treknology (huh, my phone's spellchecker knows the word treknology! How awesome is that?).
Personally I'd say the singularity decays very fast once released.
The energy released then could be as dangerous as a warpcore breach, that's why they can't shut down the singularity once activated.

Antimatter warpcores look really practical against that.
Old May 4 2013, 04:40 PM   #23
The Librarian
Commodore

It really does depend on how massive the singularity is, and why they're sometimes called 'forced' singularities. Small black holes naturally decay very rapidly, although one with 'only' a mountain's worth of mass can last for years. The main hazard isn't that they'll be a navigational hazard, it's that the last few (hundred) thousand tons will go up in a blink of an eye, easily comparable to any warp core breach. You'd want to either refill them before that happens, probably using specialized facilities that can properly aim lasers or particle streams at this smaller-than-an-atom singularity, or make sure it happens out in interstellar space.
The Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 11:44 PM   #24
SicOne
Commodore

It also occurs to me that if you can somehow hit a warbird with some kind of awesome electromagnetic pulse, you can get them to lose "containment" of this singularity, which would then begin to consume the warbird from the inside out.
Old May 6 2013, 11:23 AM   #25
Timo
Admiral

Probably so. But similar pulses might collapse UFP antimatter containment fields; it's not a vulnerability specific to the Romulan design.

Interestingly, when the Breen hit the Axis of Alpha fleet with the energy-damping weapon at Chin'toka, ships went dark and motionless. They did not explode immediately out of containment failure, regardless of whether they had UFP, Klingon or Romulan power systems...

Granted, the ships didn't lose all power: we saw internal lighting (at least the emergency sort) work just fine. Nor did hearts stop beating or brains stop thinking. Clearly, the weapon only affected certain types of power flow, and the starship powerplant protection systems probably either had an inherently resilient type of power arrangement, or were built with multiple redundant power sources of which at least one was resilient to the Breen weapon.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 12:23 PM   #26
TheSubCommander
Captain

Captain_Amasov wrote: View Post
I keep seeing this mentioned around that the Romulan D'deridex-class warbird was less maneuverable than the Enterprise-D/Galaxy-class at sublight speeds. Was this actually mentioned in a specific episode?

I know that they were slower at warp speed, and that the old warbirds encountered by the Enterprise-C were less maneuverable, however I cannot find anything to back up this claim that their latter day counterparts were also the same.
I want to say that it was mentioned in Tin Man, but not positive.
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 01:23 PM   #27
Timo
Admiral

"Tin Man" featured this dialogue:

Data: "Starbase 123 has detected two D'deridex class cruisers on an intercept course. The top speed of this class cruiser is known to be less than ours. Therefore we do have some advantage."
And later, when one Romulan ship outflies the Enterprise at warp anyway and then strafes her at impulse:

Riker: "I thought you said the Enterprise was faster than this Romulan."
Data: "In fact, we are, Commander. However-"
The first dialogue specifically refers to the interstellar speed of the Romulans. The second isn't quite so explicit, but the context is clear anyway: Riker is incredulous that the Romulans could have arrived at Beta Stromgren so quickly, not that they would be flying at high impulse speed in the actual engagement.

Interesting how the Romulan ships are "cruisers" to Data, but "warbirds" to Worf...

Timo Saloniemi
Old May 6 2013, 02:47 PM   #28
SicOne
Commodore

Has it ever been stated on screen (or theorized offscreen...) why there's a big honking gap between the double hulls of a warbird? Based on the size of the warbird overall as posted in the DS9TM, you could just about fit a Galaxy-class ship inside there. I remember when I first heard of the quantum singularity powering it, I envisioned the singularity suspended in the middle of that open space between the hulls. The TNG "Timescape" episode showed Picard, et al, looking into some space where they saw little creatures sucking up power and causing problems, but I didn't think he was looking into the singularity itself.
Old May 6 2013, 03:52 PM   #29
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

I always figured those warbirds are build to intimidate and if they stuffed everything into a compact hull it would be singnificantly smaller.
Basically the peacock strategy.

I didn't get the impression that the wings contained many vital system outside of power conduits for the nacelles. The rest looks like mostly armor and weapon mounts.
Old May 7 2013, 12:23 PM   #30
Timo
Admiral

Has it ever been stated on screen (or theorized offscreen...) why there's a big honking gap between the double hulls of a warbird?
Not onscreen. Neither has there ever been an onscreen explanation for why there's a big honking gap between the nacelles of the classic Starfleet starship. At least the Romulans made some use of all that wasted space by installing a second set of pylons...

Timo Saloniemi