Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old April 24 2013, 07:15 PM   #16
sonak
Vice Admiral

Re: Shopping for healthier food. Need Help.

avoid the junk food in checkout lines and don't shop when hungry.
Old April 24 2013, 07:33 PM   #17
Kenbushway
Captain

sojourner wrote: View Post
Not sure how healthy the recipes are on a site where the main page has chicken and waffles, creamed chicken and biscuits, and peanut butter chocolate cake as the first things presented.

ETA: here, let me google that for you
I got most of my recipes from the sites vegetarian recipe section.
Old April 24 2013, 07:39 PM   #18
Screamy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Screamy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Screamy

Avoid pretty much everything on that website you're going to. Just because you can cook it rather than microwave it, doesn't mean it's healthy. Grandma's generation is ridded with diabetes and the generation before that was riddled with gout.

Just because it's old doesn't mean it's healthy. Americans haven't had a healthy diet since the mid-late 1800s.

Read the ingredients. Avoid anything with high-fructose corn syrup. Keep meals simple. Meat is fine. Veggies are fine. Combining foods into combinations that takes a degree in chemistry isn't fine.
Old April 24 2013, 07:46 PM   #19
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Not sure how healthy the recipes are on a site where the main page has chicken and waffles, creamed chicken and biscuits, and peanut butter chocolate cake as the first things presented.
That doesn't look like what my grandma cooked at all.

Also, as soon as I saw some abomination called "spaghetti lasagna", I stopped reading.
Old April 24 2013, 08:40 PM   #20
Ashu
Vice Admiral

View Ashu's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Ashu Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Ashu

I Honestly skip most of the middle sections unless there is something specific i want. I usually just do the dairy/freezer section, produce, and meat and i'm good to go.

" Because no matter what the future holds, no matter how fat we travel, a part of us -a very important part- remains there, on the TrekBBS" - shamelessmcbundy
Ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 09:30 PM   #21
cultcross
Say my name...

When you pick recipes, go for herbs and spices over fats and salt. If a recipe relies on fat for flavour, it won't be healthy. My own experience of american food suggests that this excludes a great deal that is viewed as 'traditional' (I'm not being nationalistic, I fully accept that this is also true of britain). If you can learn to flavour dishes with interesting vegetable flavours (such as fennel), herbs, and spices, you will find your calorie count plummets. That has been part of my diet change in the last twelve to eighteen months, and it's been very successful - I've lost about a quarter of my starting body weight.

My other tip would be to use an app like MyFitnessPal for a bit to count the calories you eat religiously over, say, a month, to get a realistic idea if what you consume and whether what you are making is really truly healthy (dont forget to include the fat you cook in!). You will almost certainly be surprised at where your excess calories come from.
Old April 24 2013, 09:37 PM   #22
thestrangledcorpse
Vice Admiral

You definitely don't have to go to Whole Foods or any other overpriced health food store to shop healthy. The trick is to just buy whole foods. Skip the prepackaged altogether if you can, and if you can't limit it as much as possible. The "organic" and "natural" labels on packaged foods are pretty meaningless, and the research shows no nutritional difference between organic and traditionally grown produce, so don't worry about all that. Stock up on fresh and frozen vegetables and fruits, beans, nuts, etc. If you like yogurt buy it plain and add fresh or frozen fruit yourself. If you like bread, buy the flour and bake it. If you want french fries, don't buy the big frozen bag, instead, get the potatoes and some olive oil and do it yourself. The healthiest thing you can do for your diet is to prepare 90% of your own food: that way you're avoiding all the added sugar and salt that is in pretty much everything. It tastes a lot better too, and is more work (good for the body). Aside from that, stick to the general rules: lean meats, poultry, and fish, don't eat more than 3 or 4 servings of meat/poultry/fish a week. More veggies, less bread and pasta. Cook with olive oil more often than butter, etc.

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangledcorpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 09:39 PM   #23
RoJoHen
Awesome

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
don't eat more than 3 or 4 servings of meat/poultry/fish a week.
A week???

That's the first I've heard this "general rule," and frankly it sounds terrible.
Old April 24 2013, 09:39 PM   #24
thestrangledcorpse
Vice Admiral

Kenbushway wrote: View Post

ETA: here, let me google that for you
I got most of my recipes from the sites vegetarian recipe section.
Vegetarian doesn't necessarily mean healthy. Donuts and fried Mars Bars are vegetarian.

Old April 24 2013, 09:42 PM   #25
thestrangledcorpse
Vice Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
A week???

That's the first I've heard this "general rule," and frankly it sounds terrible.
Yep, that's really a sufficient amount, and leads to much better health. I'm coming at this strictly from the science, as I just had a lamb burger last weekend, so I love some yummy meat, but red meat does damage the heart, and vegetarians are generally overall much more healthy, have lower rates of heart disease and cancer, and live longer than meat-eaters. Really, a serving of meat every other day is a good general rule, and it's not difficult to follow.

Old April 24 2013, 09:45 PM   #26
cultcross
Say my name...

Oh I thought of something else, don't get conned into thinking that food is only healthy if it comes from one of those overpriced posh shops. In my city, one of the best value places for veg and fish is the Asian supermarket catering to take outs and restaurants. Nothing posh about it, most if the food is bought straight out of the cardboard box, but I can buy veg and quality ingredients for cash at a great price. Look for something similar near you - also look for markets and other less formal places to get vegetables and fruit.
Old April 24 2013, 09:52 PM   #27
RoJoHen
Awesome

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
A week???

Yep, that's really a sufficient amount, and leads to much better health. I'm coming at this strictly from the science, as I just had a lamb burger last weekend, so I love some yummy meat, but red meat does damage the heart, and vegetarians are generally overall much more healthy, have lower rates of heart disease and cancer, and live longer than meat-eaters. Really, a serving of meat every other day is a good general rule, and it's not difficult to follow.
This is why diet is always a funny subject for me. I literally eat meat with every single meal. If a meal doesn't contain meat, I feel like I'm doing something wrong. One serving every other day would probably kill me. I eat roughly 5-6 servings of meat on a daily basis.

I'm also one of the healthiest people that I know.

Diet is such an interesting topic to discuss because you will get so many varied responses about what is "healthy." There are the vegetarians that never eat meat. I know a lot of people on the Paleo Diet that eat lots of meat and green veggies and swear they're the healthiest they've ever been. There's people that only eat egg whites because yolks cause high cholesterol (a "fact" that is totally not true). Other people refuse to eat dairy because "no other mammal drinks milk after they're babies." Such a funny topic.
Old April 24 2013, 09:54 PM   #28
cultcross
Say my name...

Don't you work in fitness or something? Or am I thinking of someone else? If so, it's no wonder your diet can handle more protein and energy than us your sedentary peers!
Old April 24 2013, 09:55 PM   #29
RoJoHen
Awesome

cultcross wrote: View Post
Don't you work in fitness or something? Or am I thinking of someone else? If so, it's no wonder your diet can handle more protein and energy than us your sedentary peers!
Well, yes, my diet generally operates under the assumption that I have just lifted a lot of weights...or that if I eat lots of calories I will be able to lift even heavier weights.

But no, I don't work in fitness anymore. I actually manage a brewery.
Old April 24 2013, 09:56 PM   #30
cultcross
Say my name...

different kind of fitness