Shatner: Aging and Work
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old April 24 2013, 12:05 PM   #31
donners22
Commodore

Re: Star Trek Needs a Gay Character and Here’s How to Do It

Sigokat wrote: View Post
Mirror Kira was Bi-Sexual.
Sex for her was more about power and narcissism. Big difference to a character having a loving relationship with a person of the same sex.
Janeway: Ha! Good one, Ensign. Take us in, Mr. Paris.

http://www.fiveminute.net/voyager
donners22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 12:20 PM   #32
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Maurice wrote: View Post
In light of this, Star Trek's no longer got any excuse, any more than it would if it had a lily white cast. Fan arguments that they should "take it slow" or that "it doesn't matter" are throwbacks to a bygone age that most of the nation has already said "good riddance" to.
Or maybe to some it really "doesn't matter". I wouldn't be offended if there was a gay character on Star Trek, I'm not offended that there isn't. For the simple fact that I don't watch Trek for relationship drama or get wrapped up in which character is sleeping with which character.

At some point, live-action Trek will include a gay character and for me it simply won't matter as long as the character is well written. Trek Literature has had gay characters for, at least, a decade now (possibly closer to two). Admiral Krell, the gay Klingon was a well-written character and for me that ranks far above who he's screwing/who he's living with in a fictional reality. YMMV.
Old April 24 2013, 12:20 PM   #33
Sigokat
Commander

Location: Fort Bragg, NC but from Chicago (currently deployed)

donners22 wrote: View Post
Sex for her was more about power and narcissism. Big difference to a character having a loving relationship with a person of the same sex.
True. I was just pointing out that there was an openly bi-sexual character on the show, but you are right about the difference between her and a real loving relationship.
Old April 24 2013, 01:47 PM   #34
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post

Give Chekov a boyfriend and be done with it.
I think it would be awesome if Abrams made Sulu gay, especially since Takei is gay in real life.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 02:39 PM   #35
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

Speaking as a gay (bisexual) man, I think it'd be great to have gay characters in Trek, but don't shove it in my face. Make it subtle as if it were, I don't know, normal.

Doctor Who has a tendency of making a good deal of it's characters gay for no reason at all.
Old April 24 2013, 02:54 PM   #36
Jeyl
Commodore

Kruezerman wrote: View Post
Doctor Who has a tendency of making a good deal of it's characters gay for no reason at all.
Oh, come now. That happily married old couple in gridlock was a nice addition.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 06:27 PM   #37
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

Jeyl wrote: View Post
Oh, come now. That happily married old couple in gridlock was a nice addition.
It was! But now it seems that everybody and their mother is gay!
Old April 24 2013, 06:47 PM   #38
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
Star Trek Needs a Gay Character and Here's How to Do It: One Trekkie’s Proposal

Basically put, the author wants a gay character in the next Star Trek movie, or for Mr. Sulu to come out (or even Chekov or Scott.)

Personally, although I think that the franchise needs GLBT characters, I don't think that this movie and the next one are the best places to do it; only a TV show can pull that off and have the time to do it well enough. I also think that the writer is putting way too much on the shoulders of the production team to accomplish this, simply because it's a possibly blockbuster movie based on a popular franchise.

But that's just me; does anybody else have any thoughts about this?
I have said for years they should have a gay character and not make a big deal about it. For instance, do the marriage scene and storyline from "Balance of Terror" only have them be a gay couple. Star Trek should at least mention it because it's not the 1960s anymore and it seems to me that everyone is straight.
Old April 24 2013, 06:54 PM   #39
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

Speaking as a gay (bisexual) man, I think it'd be great to have gay characters in Trek, but don't shove it in my face. Make it subtle as if it were, I don't know, normal.

As a pansexual man, I agree. It has to be subtle in the universe or the utopia we've created will show very little progress from today to then. Don't pander to me, just make it part of the mosaic.
Old April 24 2013, 07:01 PM   #40
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

I'd object to Sulu being retconned as gay just because it perpetuates the stereotype of Trekkies being unable to tell the difference between fiction and reality.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 01:35 PM   #41
Shaka Zulu
Captain

-Brett- wrote: View Post
I'd object to Sulu being retconned as gay just because it perpetuates the stereotype of Trekkies being unable to tell the difference between fiction and reality.
Same here. IF there's to be a gay character in the next film, have a new character who is GLBT, and have it be referred to in an ordinary manner as mentioned before (said character kisses lover for a few minutes before heading to their duty station.) It would have to be a character who's in the movie a fair bit, and isn't killed off at the end.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 02:04 PM   #42
Captain Atkin
Commander

donners22 wrote: View Post
Yes, she was all about power and narcissism, but she clearly enjoyed sex, with both men and women. She was definitely bisexual. She just wasn't one to committ to a relationship.

Same here. IF there's to be a gay character in the next film, have a new character who is GLBT, and have it be referred to in an ordinary manner as mentioned before (said character kisses lover for a few minutes before heading to their duty station.) It would have to be a character who's in the movie a fair bit, and isn't killed off at the end.
Kissing for a few minutes?!? I don't want to see characters kissing for a few minutes in Star Trek, regardless of gender or sexual orientation. A few seconds of kissing is just fine and dandy with me.
Captain Atkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 05:19 PM   #43
Xaios
Lieutenant Commander

Didn't Star Trek already try to tackle this issue twice? First in the episode where Riker falls for that one person from a culture of genderless monosexuals, and again when Jadzia Dax fell in love with the new carrier of a symbiote who was previously bonded with the spouse of one of her previous hosts? Granted, that depiction was still of a persecuted minority, but it's something at least.

The reason we know that Star Trek "looked forward to a brighter tomorrow" with regards to race was because it depicted people of many different races on screen together as equals. The thing about race, though, is that it's always something that's right there for people to see, so it's easy to show people "hey, this isn't really any big deal for us, we're all just people."

Sexual orientation, on the other hand, has no such obvious external indicators (unless you happen to make a gay character a queen-type, which would be a massive disservice to te LGBT community). Writing a "normal" gay person while at the same time trying to get across the fact that this person is gay is tremendously difficult, because you have to make it known without drawing attention to it. And trust me, some people interpret ANY outwards signs of someone being gay as an overt attempt to advertise the fact, even something as simple as a gay person telling their partner, "see you after your shift."

The other thing that makes it difficult to depict properly is that Star Trek's depiction of romantic entanglement has always seemed like a bit of crutch, an easy fallback mechanism to write filler stories. Yes, relationships happen, but considering the franchise focuses on what is technically a military organization, it has always spent too much effort on it, and it generally comes across as more of an attempt to placate "shippers" than as a way to orchestrate personal growth. Combine this less-than-stellar track record of relationship drama with a hot-button issue like sexual orientation, and I just don't see it ending well.

2 cents deposited.
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 05:26 PM   #44
Shaka Zulu
Captain

^Actually, it was done quite well in this episode of Star Trek: Phase II:

Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 05:35 PM   #45
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

^Actually, it was done quite well in this episode of Star Trek: Phase II:

That was horrible and the worst possible way to show it. I don't need to watch two people fall all over each other to get the idea that they're committed to one another whether it be man-woman, man-man or woman-woman.