Shatner: Aging and Work
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: How will it perform?
The movie will be a blockbuster hit 36 90.00%
A dissapointment, but will make money 3 7.50%
Breaks even 1 2.50%
Bomb 0 0%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 23 2013, 11:10 PM   #16
The Stig
Rear Admiral

Re: One Month Out: Predictions?

Trek '09 made $385 million worldwide, so somewhere in the range of $500 million would be an excellent result, IMHO. They've made a huge international push with this outing, so my guess is that the foreign take will be much higher than the last film.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 11:24 PM   #17
Locutus of Bored
No Solicitors!

Prediction?

I suspect STiD will be a blockbuster and will surpass ST09's numbers because of the word of mouth, the previous film's success, and the additional 3D revenue.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 11:31 PM   #18
EnsignRedshirt
Lieutenant

It'll be a big hit and hopefully someone will start thinking "TV Series" and make an effort to make that happen.
EnsignRedshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 11:41 PM   #19
Ryan8bit
Commodore

Squiggy wrote: View Post
Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
There needs to be an option between:

The movie will be a blockbuster hit
and
A dissapointment, but will make money
There's not a lot of room these days between blockbuster and not.
Maybe I'm just being anal with words. It seems like there should be more of a distinction between disappointment and blockbuster. I think the movie will be successful, just not blockbuster successful. Maybe that will be disappointing to some? I think we should all be glad if it's simply just successful.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 11:44 PM   #20
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
However, I've read a few worrying words today...
This.

Based on the trailers, I figured this was easily a $600-700 million dollar film. But some of the things I've read today just seem silly, but perhaps it plays better than it sounds.

I hope...
Old April 24 2013, 12:04 AM   #21
Danger Ace
Commander

I voted "blockbuster" because that was, for me, the closest to how I feel. I definately believe "Star Trek Into darkness" will have a great opening weekend.

I couldn't go with the "A dissapointment, but will make money" option because that is too vague.

I fear it could be too similiar to what was given us in 2009. If it is ... I would be disappointed, but that doesn't mean that I would ultimately feel unsatisfied or unhappy.

JJ Abram's previous Trek film, for example, disappointed me in how lite and glossy it was though, overall, I loved it and have watched it many, many times.
Old April 24 2013, 12:00 PM   #22
throwback
Captain

I think that this film will beat Iron Man 3 in its opening weekend. I think that this film will hold its position in the top five for several weeks until the premiere of Man of Steel, less than a month later. I don't see this film joining the ranks of the billion dollar club. I think this film will have a "green" rating at Metacritic, and a fresh rating at Rotten Tomatoes. I think this rating will not reflect the criticism that will come up later, from fans and, possibly, non-fans. I do not think this film will encourage Paramount into investing money and resources into a TV series.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 06:09 PM   #23
LOKAI of CHERON
Fleet Captain

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

BillJ wrote: View Post
LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
However, I've read a few worrying words today...
This.

Based on the trailers, I figured this was easily a $600-700 million dollar film. But some of the things I've read today just seem silly, but perhaps it plays better than it sounds.

I hope...
Yep - fingers crossed here too, Bill. I'm not overly concerned at this point, "da intawebs" can be extremely unreliable in these situations!
Old April 24 2013, 06:42 PM   #24
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

For the financially challenged among us, those that can't drop 40 dollars a week at the movie theater (or even in a single month), I have had to choose between going to see movies and not. This means I saw Lincoln, but not Argo this past fall.

If there are households like mine, this movie has A LOT of competition. Man of Steel comes to mind. And I don't know if it has the buzz to do as well as the last one.
Old April 24 2013, 06:58 PM   #25
ralph
Captain

Blockbuster, guaranteed too. Massive marketing out off USA. My guess: $600-700 million. It will not beat Iron Man 3 and Man of Steel, but will beat Wolverine, Oblivion and GI Joe 2.
Old April 24 2013, 07:46 PM   #26
Xaios
Lieutenant Commander

HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
If there are households like mine, this movie has A LOT of competition. Man of Steel comes to mind. And I don't know if it has the buzz to do as well as the last one.
Perhaps, but unless it's a critical flop (which won't be the case, by the sound of things), the momentum and good will from ST09 will be more than enough to sustain it.

In honesty though, it won't match Iron Man 3 or Man of Steel unless those flop from a critical perspective. Those franchises simply have broader appeal, not to mention bigger star power. Iron Man 3 has Robert Downey Jr, and Man of Steel has Christopher freaking Nolan, two of the biggest draws in Hollywood.
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 10:57 PM   #27
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

My biggest fear (as a Trekkie) is that this film will turn out like the last one. Where the marketing campaign ended up being superior to the actual film.
Old April 24 2013, 11:50 PM   #28
RAMA
Vice Admiral

$505 million was my prediction.
Old April 25 2013, 01:25 PM   #29
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

Xaios wrote: View Post
HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
True enough, but unless the professional critics turn out truly negative opinions, the positive momentum generated by ST09 will more than sustain it.

Let's face it, even if STID garners the same critical praise as ST09, it's not going to beat Iron Man 3 or Man of Steel unless those flop critically. The appeal of those franchises is just that much broader than Star Trek.
I agree with the consensus that Trek will be around third for the big summer movies. Ironman (or any Marvel comic film) is a crazy moneymaker and Man of Steele looks awesome, by an awesome director and producer, AND its a series that's in serious need of a successful film.

Remember how everyone was worried that Wolverine, Terminator and GI Joe was going to affect Trek 4 year ago?
Old April 25 2013, 05:26 PM   #30
Xaios
Lieutenant Commander

Squiggy wrote: View Post
I agree with the consensus that Trek will be around third for the big summer movies. Ironman (or any Marvel comic film) is a crazy moneymaker and Man of Steele looks awesome, by an awesome director and producer, AND its a series that's in serious need of a successful film.

Remember how everyone was worried that Wolverine, Terminator and GI Joe was going to affect Trek 4 year ago?
Haha, true. Granted, those movies were pretty much all a critical disaster. Judging by the reviews of Iron Man 3, that won't be case this time around.

Also, not sure why I made two separate posts above. If a mod wants to delete one, I'd have no objection.
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote