Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old April 26 2013, 02:54 AM   #16
J. Allen
Dancing on Rainbows

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: did anyone else like Bashir from the word go?

I liked Bashir right off the bat. Moreso when he began his interactions with Garak (who I simply adore).
"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured." - Mark Twain
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 04:19 AM   #17
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Bashir's first interaction with Garak made me like Garak but it didn't make me like Bashir. Bashir was just a little pathetic in that episode. (And all of season 1).
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 05:30 PM   #18
LobsterAfternoon
Commander

I think he was always a good character to watch but took a while to become likable. Which is fine.
LobsterAfternoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 05:40 PM   #19
Relayer1
Commodore

I liked him from the start and more so as it went on, especially his relationships with O'Brien and Garak.

One of my favourite Trek characters. Mind you, that applies to the whole DS9 cast...
Old April 27 2013, 07:38 PM   #20
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Well.. one thing I did like was the DS9 staff seemed to listen to the fans when they realized Bashir had become the unpopular one and took steps to remedy that.
Old April 27 2013, 08:02 PM   #21
Ryva Brall
Commander

Bashir isn't my favorite, but that doesn't mean I don't like him. It's just that DS9 has too many great characters to choose from, and it's hard for me to put Bashir above Kira, Odo, and Quark. I always liked him, though, right from the start. He was like an eager little puppy. I loved the scene after his first meeting with Garak, when he's gushing to the other senior staff about meeting the Cardassian spy.

Also, his friendship with O'Brien was one of the greatest things about DS9.

However, I didn't think the whole flirtatious, "skirt-chaser" thing really suited his personality. I don't know why, but he never struck me as the playboy type.
Old April 27 2013, 08:22 PM   #22
publiusr
Commodore

I liked Bashir myself, especially his relationship with Garak
Baelish and Varys from Game of Thrones had a similar relationship...
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 02:33 AM   #23
Kabraxal
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I didn't hate him and I understood why he was how he was... there were times you did want to shake your head at him, but he was always fun to me. However, as he matured, he fast became one of my favourite characters on the show. I think the shows that really solidified that were The Quickening and Our Man Bashir. Those two just really painted an intriguing character with lots of depth to me. And he gets better from there still!
Kabraxal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 05:00 AM   #24
Mr Pointy Ears
Captain

no I didn't, but as the series got better so did bashir, it was the same with paris from voyager.
Mr Pointy Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 05:12 AM   #25
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Yeah, he was one of DS9's best characters. I liked how he was a blend of talented, charming, insecure, naive, arrogant, and shortsighted. He had strengths as well as character weaknesses. I was always rooting for him; he made a great protagonist.
Old May 14 2013, 08:23 AM   #26
PKTrekGirl
Arrogant Niner Thug

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PKTrekGirl

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Yeah, he was one of DS9's best characters. I liked how he was a blend of talented, charming, insecure, naive, arrogant, and shortsighted. He had strengths as well as character weaknesses. I was always rooting for him; he made a great protagonist.
Agreed. Like most DS9 characters, he was multi-layered and likeably flawed. Fundamentally a decent and caring person. He just had his blind spots, was all.

I liked him from the start.

Star Trek XI - "You know, if you have ten extra sombreros lying around, I have an idea on how to improve your current avatar..." - Samuel T. Cogley
PKTrekGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 02:46 AM   #27
LiLiKitty
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I don't think I ever disliked him. I've just finished re-watching season 1, and his utter callowness amused me, even though I'm glad that he grows away from that. And Past Prologue just gets better, and funnier, each time I watch it. Siddig's performance is hilarious in that one. I think that kept me from ever really disliking Bashir.
LiLiKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2013, 11:24 PM   #28
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I started watching DS9 from the start again today.

In the first few episodes Bashir's like a cartoon stereotype of a philanderer, like Barney Stilson or Okana.

I think most screenwriters just have no idea how to write a believable philanderer, because their experience with jocks is being pushed around by them.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 01:14 PM   #29
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

I liked him. I also really liked his exchange with Kira when she told him off a bit for looking all wide-eyed and happy, calling DS9 a "new frontier" or something like that. For her, that had been Terok Nor (sp?) and she remembered the horrors of the place. She schooled him on a few things really fast. That was great because you could understand both perspectives. He was naive and just happy to be there and experience something new, and she had a hard life and let him know that even though he was wide-eyed, he still suffered from a case of eyes-wide-shut-itis.

This was really a good show.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 01:18 PM   #30
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
I started watching DS9 from the start again today.

In the first few episodes Bashir's like a cartoon stereotype of a philanderer, like Barney Stilson or Okana.

I think most screenwriters just have no idea how to write a believable philanderer, because their experience with jocks is being pushed around by them.
I think some of that was on purpose, though. Or, at least it seemed that way to me. He seemed to get around a bit, and he was playful, but it's like he was trying to be someone he wasn't. It makes me think there's a reason why one of his favorite holographic programs was James Bond-esque. Except, he's not James Bond. Jadzia could see that right away, and I think that's one of the reasons she brushes off his advances. He wasn't ready for her yet, and by the time he was, she'd found someone else. Such is life.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote