Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Rate Iron Man 3
Excellent 72 45.86%
Above Average 61 38.85%
Average 16 10.19%
Below Average 4 2.55%
Poor 4 2.55%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 15 2013, 09:59 PM   #226
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron
Re: "Iron Man 3" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

flavaflav wrote: View Post

and speaking of which, just what was Killian's motivation? Maybe I zoned out when that got explained, but to me it seemed like he went emo simply because Tony blew off their roof meeting.
I was wondering about that myself, along with what the relationship was between Killian and Hansen. Rebecca Hall is a good actress and it's a shame she barely gets to do much of anything. I don't think the movie was terrible, as sequels go, but it felt like there were a lot of promising plot threads that were never tied together properly into a cohesive story.

"If you think you're brave enough to walk the path of honor, then follow me into the dragon's den."

Knight Exemplar
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 10:21 PM   #227
Pavonis
Commodore

Killian's motivation was to control both sides of the War on Terror - supply terror, then supply weapons to fight the terrorists. Extremis was able to do both. Subjects that couldn't regulate blew up. "The Mandarin" claims it as a terrorist act deliberately conducted to "teach America". Killian supplies Extremis subjects that can regulate to the U.S. military, either as soldiers or as mercenaries. Either way, he wins, and proves to himself that he didn't actually need Stark in 1999.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 10:34 PM   #228
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

That was one of the other threads I perceived as dangling. I get that most of Killian minions we see are former soldiers who were "cured" with Extremis, and I can see where they would feel indebted or loyal to him and/or AIM for that, but that all of them would seemingly betray their duty as soldiers to the U.S. for it? Harm innocent people and support terrorism in the process? I'm a bit skeptical of that. It just seemed to me like Extremis was still too potentially unstable for it to viable that way, even though Killian and Hansen had improved it.

"If you think you're brave enough to walk the path of honor, then follow me into the dragon's den."

Knight Exemplar
Old May 15 2013, 10:35 PM   #229
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Well, if they stopped serving him, they would run out and blow up, if I'm not mistaken.
Old May 15 2013, 10:54 PM   #230
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Maybe so, but I still don't buy that as being reason enough to let go of your ethics. Besides, that means they could blow up Killian if he disagreed! It would probably take several of them to actually kill him, but still... Who's to say someone like Stark couldn't have copied the regulating agent?

Knight Exemplar
Old May 15 2013, 11:07 PM   #231
Pavonis
Commodore

It seemed as though Extremis may also be responsible for personality shifts, especially promoting violent tendencies. Pepper was quite surprised at what she was capable of under the influence of Extremis. Just imagine what someone who was already conditioned and trained to use violence would be capable of - in fact, you don't have to imagine. The Extremis subjects demonstrated it. Why would they betray their ideals and assist in attacking the US? Maybe they already felt betrayed by it? Who knows what circumstances they were in prior to finding themselves under AIM's care.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 11:33 PM   #232
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

That's certainly a possibility, but I'd say the movie is very unclear (at best) on whether that actually occurs as a side effect or not. I think Pepper was surprised that she survived thanks to Extremis and that she actually had some fun using part of the Mk 42, but I didn't see anything that was a specific personality change. I have no clue if the substance ever appeared in the comics, so perhaps someone with more experience can answer that.

Knight Exemplar
Old May 15 2013, 11:46 PM   #233
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Maybe AIM gave Extremis only to wounded soldiers they could turn or already had turned?
Old May 16 2013, 12:42 AM   #234
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

flavaflav wrote: View Post
and speaking of which, just what was Killian's motivation? Maybe I zoned out when that got explained, but to me it seemed like he went emo simply because Tony blew off their roof meeting.
That was pretty much it, I'm afraid....
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 12:52 AM   #235
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

The VP was his man, so Killian wanted to take over the US. But, yeah, he was like Syndrome Redux.
Old May 16 2013, 01:39 AM   #236
Snick27
Captain

Old May 16 2013, 02:04 AM   #237
Dream
Admiral

Killian using the Ten Rings logo in his messages doesn't mean anything. Hell, I COULD send a message to someone I know with Ten Rings logo, and that doesn't make me the Mandarin.

The stinger is that the Ten Rings held Stark prisoner in a cave for several months, and Killian did nothing. Didn't kill Stark out vengeance or even ask for help to deal with the Extremis problem. The entire Mandarin is a fake feels like something that was created very recently.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 06:34 AM   #238
Dream
Admiral

"Iron Man 3," the third film in the franchise starring Robert Downey Jr., will pass the $1-billion milestone, possibly by Wednesday night. As of Tuesday morning, Walt Disney Studios said the Shane Black-directed movie had collected $962.2 million worldwide and was still selling tickets in territories worldwide.
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,6812361.story
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 02:09 AM   #239
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

Someday I have to watch the actual Hitler movie. After all of the parodies I've seen, it will feel like a satire.
LaxScrutiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 05:33 AM   #240
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

Well I'm of two minds on the whole 10 Rings - Mandarin thing

1. There WAS a "Mandarin" leading the 10 Rings originally - but AIM somehow killed him and basically replaced him with their own man and just co-opted the original 10 Rings

2. 10 Rings was always meant to keep Stark - it was the guys in the field, like Raza (Robau!!!!) who sorta fucked things up and got too greedy in their own fight - like 10 Rings was Killian's invention but others that joined it and created cells sorta were on their own - but as I was saying, they were always meant to hang onto Stark once he gave them the Jericho missile - since THAT particular cell wanted it. The terrorists that captured Stark were surprised that it was actually Stark and wanted more money remember? It was Stane that sicced them on Tony. Which is how I'm sure the whole Afghani group that Raza was with got to California pretty quick - if they were part of Killian's 10 Ring.

3. The 10 Rings IS a real terror group in the MCU that Killian was using for his own end and figured if anyone from them went after him, he'd sic Extremis guys on 'em. Like say, someone using one of the other known terror groups and doing things in their name, the group thinks 'uhm okay hey you're doing alright... welcome aboard' but it's all a ruse.

4. Killian didn't care of Tony lived or died, he wanted Stane in charge so that he could ramrod Extremis through SI saying 'okay we took care of your problem Stane, now take care of mine.'. After all, he waited a little while for Pepper to be fully integrated into SI before approaching her.