RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,657
Members: 24,813
Currently online: 487
Newest member: SB118_Pavlova

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Rate Iron Man 3
Excellent 72 45.86%
Above Average 61 38.85%
Average 16 10.19%
Below Average 4 2.55%
Poor 4 2.55%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 7 2013, 02:47 AM   #136
Dream
Admiral

Re: "Iron Man 3" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
^I was under the impression that they were subcutaneous implants that served the same function as the bracelets that summoned his mobile suit in The Avengers.
When you think about it, Tony developing the skill to call the armor pieces to him is the logical conclusion to this tech. It is even from the comics.

But I'm really glad they didn't go with Tony being able to call the armor from his own bones, and being able to control computer systems with his brain like in the comics. That would have been WAY too out there.

But I missed the fact that we didn't get one good glory moment of Tony in a definitive, fully-functional suit kicking ass. What we got was a malfunctioning prototype and a musical suits climax.
I missed that too. Even Iron Patriot got a chance to be a badass taking down the first group of terrorist, and Pepper delivering the final kill to the main villain while wearing a sports bra (Loved it even though it was so over the top).

But Tony did take down a group of those thugs with his hardware tools and capture the Mandarin. Tony got way more action in IM3 than the first two movies.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 02:48 AM   #137
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

Dream wrote: View Post
But seriously, I do agree with you that the suits did seem a bit more realistic in the first IM1. I wish we had Tony explaining to Pepper how he had implanted magic nanotechnology into his blood to able to call parts of his suits to him, instead of just implying everything.
Well it's worse than that. I didn't get into that part in my first post, but it kind of bugged me through the last half of the movie...

The implants in Tony's arm were somehow able to contact each suit piece in Tennesee from Miami. So utilizing some kind of satellite uplink? That is forward thinking...

Now each suit piece has sufficient propulsion to allow it to fly from Tennesee to Miami. The CGI made it appear that they had little jets... fueled by what? Every try launching a model rocket that far?

The complete suit's propulsion is supposed to be repulser based so that it doesn't need fuel. Fine, and this is actually a brilliant update from Stan Lee's original design. But these suit pieces aren't blasting repulsers to make themselves fly, and there would be no possibilty of them controlling their flight that precisely and decellerating like they did. (The joke of Tony taking the hit from codpiece notwithstanding.)

It just couldn't work that way according to the way the armour is depicted as working. So I have to suspend my disbelief, and then suspend my disbelief of that first suspension.

If the armour flew as one piece and then cracked open to encase Tony, I could have handled that.
LaxScrutiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 03:05 AM   #138
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

^I was under the impression that they were subcutaneous implants that served the same function as the bracelets that summoned his mobile suit in The Avengers.
What I don't get is, if Tony needs these implants to call the suit to him, how is he able to make the suit go onto Pepper or Killian?
Old May 7 2013, 03:12 AM   #139
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

LaxScrutiny wrote: View Post
The implants in Tony's arm were somehow able to contact each suit piece in Tennesee from Miami. So utilizing some kind of satellite uplink? That is forward thinking...

Now each suit piece has sufficient propulsion to allow it to fly from Tennesee to Miami. The CGI made it appear that they had little jets... fueled by what?
Unstable molecules. Magic. Pixie dust.
Old May 7 2013, 03:58 AM   #140
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Maybe all the pieces do have repulsor jets and little palladium batteries.

Which brings me to a WTF concern I had when his malfunctioning suit lost power as he was getting to TN...since when does the movie IM's suit have a separate power supply that runs out of gas? I thought his suits were run by his palladium / IM2-ium chest piece? Even if they have separate power supplies that allow them to be operated remotely or worn by other people (as they clearly do), why couldn't he keep power going with his chest unit?

(Granted, this point will be moot in future films.)
The Old Mixer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 04:11 AM   #141
Snaploud
Admiral

Which brings me to a WTF concern I had when his malfunctioning suit lost power as he was getting to TN...since when does the movie IM's suit have a separate power supply that runs out of gas? I thought his suits were run by his palladium / IM2-ium chest piece? Even if they have separate power supplies that allow them to be operated remotely or worn by other people (as they clearly do), why couldn't he keep power going with his chest unit?
It really only made sense to use the heart-power-cell when no other options were available (in the cave and/or when he had not yet mass-produced the power cells). He was draining a vital function everytime he got in the suit, and it's probably not healthy to constantly be performing surgery on one's self.

Granted, the heart-power-cell did have the benefit of added security (limiting the ability of non-heart-power-cell-wearing individuals to use the suit), but it sounds as if Tony beefed up other types of security on the suits.

As for using the heart-power-cell as a back-up: it may have simply been a case of the new suit being incompatible with the heart-power-cell (at least, without heavy modifications or taking the heart-power-cell out of Tony's chest).
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 12:34 PM   #142
Chu'lak
Lieutenant

Snaploud wrote: View Post
It really only made sense to use the heart-power-cell when no other options were available (in the cave and/or when he had not yet mass-produced the power cells). He was draining a vital function everytime he got in the suit, and it's probably not healthy to constantly be performing surgery on one's self.

Granted, the heart-power-cell did have the benefit of added security (limiting the ability of non-heart-power-cell-wearing individuals to use the suit), but it sounds as if Tony beefed up other types of security on the suits.

As for using the heart-power-cell as a back-up: it may have simply been a case of the new suit being incompatible with the heart-power-cell (at least, without heavy modifications or taking the heart-power-cell out of Tony's chest).

Yeah, we've known back as far as IM 2 that the chest arc isn't neccesaary to run a suit, becuase War machine's had its only intneral power supply.
Chu'lak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 03:31 PM   #143
Agent Richard07
Admiral

But I'm really glad they didn't go with Tony being able to call the armor from his own bones...
Wow, that's weird.

"The Undersheath to the Iron Man suit components was super-compressed and stored in the hollows of Stark’s bones. The sheath material exited through skeletal pores and slid between all cells to self-assemble a new “skin” around him. This skin provides a complete interface to the Iron Man suit components and can perform numerous other functions. (The process in reverse withdrew the Undersheath back into these specially modified areas of Tony Stark’s bone marrow tissue.)"

It does seem "out there", but I can see it working in live action like the quicksilver from The Invisible Man series.

Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 05:42 PM   #144
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

The whole Palladium-killing-me thing thus makes little sense in IM2. If the core was poisonous, why not go back to carrying a car battery around? I suppose it would keep him from superheroing around, but when it's that or death, what would anyone choose?

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 06:40 PM   #145
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Fair enough. Though, I wonder why Tony didn't just hire more people to speed up the wreckage-clearing. He obviously had access to funds.
I was under the impression he was going for "they believe me to be dead" element of surprise. Remember the Chattanooga news van guy? So all that was likely being handled by Pepper, who knew he was alive but wouldn't have known it'd be nice to speed up the cleaning around he garage area.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 09:36 PM   #146
The Wormhole
Admiral

Here's a nitpick I thought up. When Tony gets his mojo back after the anxiety attack in the car that his kid friend help him through and then decides to hit the local hardware store to get all the stuff he needs to figure things out, how the hell does he pay for the stuff? Since he left his home in a hurry after it was, you know, attacked and destroyed by bad guys, I doubt he had any money or credit cards on him. But even assuming he did, I doubt even Tony Stark carries that much cash on himself at any given time, and wouldn't his credit cards be locked out if he was presumed dead?
Old May 7 2013, 09:41 PM   #147
Dream
Admiral

Yikes! Guys, we dodge a bullet!

'Iron Man 3' cut Pepper Potts sex tape scene, says Shane Black

"In the second draft, Pepper slept with Killian because he was so pheromonally enhanced with Extremis that she couldn't resist him," Black told Empire.
Old May 8 2013, 12:20 AM   #148
Dream
Admiral

Marvel Cliffhanger: Will there be an IM4 with RDJ?
Old May 8 2013, 12:29 AM   #149
Agent Richard07
Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Here's a nitpick I thought up. When Tony gets his mojo back after the anxiety attack in the car that his kid friend help him through and then decides to hit the local hardware store to get all the stuff he needs to figure things out, how the hell does he pay for the stuff? Since he left his home in a hurry after it was, you know, attacked and destroyed by bad guys, I doubt he had any money or credit cards on him. But even assuming he did, I doubt even Tony Stark carries that much cash on himself at any given time, and wouldn't his credit cards be locked out if he was presumed dead?
I figured that he did have cards and that no one got around to freezing his accounts yet.

Yikes! Guys, we dodge a bullet!

'Iron Man 3' cut Pepper Potts sex tape scene, says Shane Black

"In the second draft, Pepper slept with Killian because he was so pheromonally enhanced with Extremis that she couldn't resist him," Black told Empire.
That might have been fun.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 12:37 AM   #150
Snaploud
Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Fair enough. Though, I wonder why Tony didn't just hire more people to speed up the wreckage-clearing. He obviously had access to funds.
I was under the impression he was going for "they believe me to be dead" element of surprise. Remember the Chattanooga news van guy? So all that was likely being handled by Pepper, who knew he was alive but wouldn't have known it'd be nice to speed up the cleaning around he garage area.
He seemed fine with gaining access to his monetary funds* and contacting Pepper. In fact, he could have just asked Pepper to prioritize the wreckage-clearing project.

*assuming he didn't go around stealing money from the kid's neighbors...
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote