RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,657
Members: 24,813
Currently online: 455
Newest member: SB118_Pavlova

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old April 22 2013, 08:27 PM   #16
E-DUB
Captain

Re: When did camouflage become acceptable attire?

I've always wanted to bump into someone wearing camo and say "Sorry. I didn't see you."

I've also thought of the idea for "Urban camo". Imagine a t-shirt with a brick wall pattern on it, etc.
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 08:34 PM   #17
Avon
Fleet Captain

my thoughts on fashion in general:

don't moan about it unless you're being forced to wear it. and it if you are being forced to wear it, call the police.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 08:45 PM   #18
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Camo?
Are you having computer issues? You posted the same thing twice at 2:14 and then again at 2:26 ... or did you intend to post your "funny rant" three times?
Old April 22 2013, 09:03 PM   #19
Avon
Fleet Captain

he just really likes denim, apparently

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 09:09 PM   #20
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Hell, I started wearing camo back in the 80's. Far as I'm concerned, it never went out of style!
Old April 22 2013, 09:17 PM   #21
iguana_tonante
Admiral

My browser works funny sometimes.

And yes, I do like my jeans. Especially with a nice blazer.
Old April 22 2013, 09:54 PM   #22
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

^ I deleted a couple of them.

Turd Ferguson wrote: View Post
It's the people wearing pristine, clean camo that's got me baffled. "Put on your finest camo, we're going out to eat! Wooo!" This says to me that they've not done any hunting, and they're wearing it because they think it's cool.

But, the event that happened Saturday was some of the area schools were having their proms. And some boys came in wearing black tuxedos with CAMOUFLAGE VESTS AND TIES. WTF? When did this become acceptable? When did this become cool? But, most importantly, WHY did this become cool?
Wearing it to dinner at a steakhouse is a tad odd, especially if you're not in the military or a hunter. Wearing it as formal wear to a prom is bizarre and sounds like something out of a Jeff Foxworthy routine.

However, like Gebirg said, back in the 80s, camo pants and shorts were fairly popular with teens, especially us punks and slackers. Everything comes back around again.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 09:58 PM   #23
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I don't think there's anything wrong with wearing a pair of camo cargo shorts. I wouldn't wear them if I was going to be doing some fine dining, but for everyday use they are perfectly acceptable.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 10:28 PM   #24
Turd Ferguson
Commodore

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post

It's the people wearing pristine, clean camo that's got me baffled. "Put on your finest camo, we're going out to eat! Wooo!" This says to me that they've not done any hunting, and they're wearing it because they think it's cool.

But, the event that happened Saturday was some of the area schools were having their proms. And some boys came in wearing black tuxedos with CAMOUFLAGE VESTS AND TIES. WTF? When did this become acceptable? When did this become cool? But, most importantly, WHY did this become cool?
Wearing it to dinner at a steakhouse is a tad odd, especially if you're not in the military or a hunter. Wearing it as formal wear to a prom is bizarre and sounds like something out of a Jeff Foxworthy routine.

However, like Gebirg said, back in the 80s, camo pants and shorts were fairly popular with teens, especially us punks and slackers. Everything comes back around again.
That's the thing. It's not just a pair of camo pants or shorts. Their whole outfits are camo. From their overalls to their shirts and hats. All pristine camo, no sign of any hunting. I couldn't tell you how many tables I've waited on where parties of three or more are decked out in camouflage like they're the goddamn Predator.

Hmm... maybe next time I get a group like that, I should go to the table, wonder aloud why the hostess set menus down at a clearly empty table, shrug, gather the menus and walk away
Old April 22 2013, 10:41 PM   #25
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post

That's the thing. It's not just a pair of camo pants or shorts. Their whole outfits are camo.
From their overalls to their shirts and hats. All pristine camo, no sign of any hunting. I couldn't tell you how many tables I've waited on where parties of three or more are decked out in camouflage like they're the goddamn Predator.

Hmm... maybe next time I get a group like that, I should go to the table, wonder aloud why the hostess set menus down at a clearly empty table, shrug, gather the menus and walk away
I know what you were saying about the full camo outfits in the restaurant. I was just making a separate point about how wearing camo has gone in and out of style over time since I was in school.

I wouldn't gather the menus, but the customers might find it funny if you jokingly pretended not to be able to see them sitting at the table briefly. Well, I'd find it funny if the waiter did that to me, at least. Can't speak for everyone, though.
Old April 22 2013, 10:48 PM   #26
marksound
Fleet Captain

I'm a waiter at a steak house, so I'm used to dealing with people. Most of these people are some of the nicest you'll ever meet, some are the douche-ist of the douchebags. All in all, I have over ten years of serving experience with a wide array of people. But, something has been grating on my mind here lately, and an event on Saturday night brought this question to the front of my mind.

When did camouflage become acceptable dinner attire? I'm aware that some people hunt, others are in the military. I don't have a problem with people going out to eat in BDUs. It's the people wearing pristine, clean camo that's got me baffled. "Put on your finest camo, we're going out to eat! Wooo!" This says to me that they've not done any hunting, and they're wearing it because they think it's cool.

Your location is Kentucky. You're surprised?

Seriously, here's a song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stsdZvryy3I
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 10:51 PM   #27
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I think the point at which camouflage was actually intended TO camouflage was surpassed at warp speed many moons ago. Nobody, not even the military, wears it for that purpose, do they? They wear it because it's tradition, nothing more.

I mean, for fuck's sake, the Navy's current "camouflage" is BRIGHT BLUE, isn't it?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 11:27 PM   #28
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I think the point at which camouflage was actually intended TO camouflage was surpassed at warp speed many moons ago. Nobody, not even the military, wears it for that purpose, do they?
Yeah, they do, though the current patterns vary widely in effectiveness (with the USMC MARPAT digital patterns being very effective) and are actually a source of conflict between the various branches at times.

What might appear to be striking out in the open can often conceal the wearer quite well in its intended environment. Plus, it's not just about blending in color-wise with the background, though obviously that's important. It's also about breaking up the shape of the person or vehicle you're trying to conceal so it doesn't look like the outline of a person or tank or ship. Take for instance Dazzle Camouflage on ships in WWI and WWII. But even seemingly strange colors or bright lights can serve as effective visual camouflage in certain situations.

Obviously in the day and age of widespread RADAR and thermal sensors visual camo had less effectiveness on vehicles and people, but against the type of technologically unsophisticated adversaries we usually wind up facing these days, they still have an important place.

Plus, it's very important in suburban warfare when facing off against (literal) armchair generals:

Old April 22 2013, 11:43 PM   #29
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

My brother has a camo recliner. Also his son's crib has camo sheets. He'd buy more if he could find it.
These are the spectacular adventures of Space Dandy and his brave space crew. In space.
Awesome Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 12:34 AM   #30
Finn
Vice Admiral

mari wrote: View Post
I also don't understand the digicam pattern, are we hiding inside a computer monitor that we need to be pixelated?
its supposed to be a better camo from a distance
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote