CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 15 2014, 02:06 AM   #76
Candlefright
Admiral

Re: Rewatching Blake's 7

A10: BREAKDOWN

Nice to see an episode about Gan for a change, even if he spends 80% of it unconcious and 15% attacking the rest. Also nice to see part of the original idea for Zen with a mind of his own, shutting down to protect the ship from his own instructions, even if it endangers the crew. Always good to see Julian Glover in anything too.
Old February 15 2014, 02:11 AM   #77
Candlefright
Admiral

Wow, Glynis looks good for late 50s.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...ful-looks.html
Old February 15 2014, 03:13 AM   #78
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

Candlelight wrote: View Post
A10: BREAKDOWN

Nice to see an episode about Gan for a change, even if he spends 80% of it unconcious and 15% attacking the rest. Also nice to see part of the original idea for Zen with a mind of his own, shutting down to protect the ship from his own instructions, even if it endangers the crew. Always good to see Julian Glover in anything too.
Even Vila getting in on the action action when he threatens Kane for not starting the surgery on Gan.

As for Cally, well if Gan had strangled her, she'd have no-one to blame but herself. Sure maybe on Auron things were different but Gan isn't an Auronar and she should have left him restrained.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2014, 09:04 AM   #79
Candlefright
Admiral

A11: BOUNTY

The story is solid for a first season episode. Jenna should've been played more as the traitor rather than oh-so-obvious-she-hasn't-switched-sides ordeal. The episode spends too much time on the surface convincing Sarkoff to take flight, but the story is still interesting.
Old February 24 2014, 10:11 AM   #80
The Haunting
Admiral

The story is solid for a first season episode. Jenna should've been played more as the traitor rather than oh-so-obvious-she-hasn't-switched-sides ordeal. The episode spends too much time on the surface convincing Sarkoff to take flight, but the story is still interesting.
I really like Bounty. Ok part of it does come down to the wonder that is Tyce, but I like the notion of exiled leaders and the Federation not quite being all powerful, that planets could still break away. Plus itís nice to see Jenna get the chance to play the hero, even if you never really believe sheís a complete traitor (it might have been more believable if itíd been Avon, letís be honest!)

"It should be torn down and the ground sown with salt..."
The Haunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2014, 11:05 PM   #81
Candlefright
Admiral

A12: DELIVERANCE

A drawn out story that doesn't really hold it's length but again I find it hard to believe with only six humans (sic) on board no one notices someone is missing until it's too late. Avon plays the God nicely, and the threat of the savages comes across as a little bizarre considering their biology should hardly have "adapted" to the radiation (they should really be dead like everyone else). Still, sets us up for our first encounter with the neon fishtank next episode.
Old February 24 2014, 11:11 PM   #82
antichristhill
Fleet Admiral

^Avon's scenes really make this one for me. I love his reaction to having a worshiper!
antichristhill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2014, 11:30 PM   #83
diankra
Commodore

Starkers wrote: View Post

I really like Bounty. Ok part of it does come down to the wonder that is Tyce, but I like the notion of exiled leaders and the Federation not quite being all powerful, that planets could still break away. Plus itís nice to see Jenna get the chance to play the hero, even if you never really believe sheís a complete traitor (it might have been more believable if itíd been Avon, letís be honest!)
It's a subtle point, but the Federation of seasons one and two are pretty decent compared with what comes later; there is a certain sense of rule of law, officers who commit atrocities csn be courtmartialed for it (if only for show) and local regimes seem to be given leeway as to how repressive they chose to be (so long as they maontain order). That all ends under Servalan.
It's a subtle point, but it's the difference between living under Kruschev or Breshnev, or Stalin/Hitler/Saddam.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2014, 11:46 PM   #84
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

...or Chris Christie.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2014, 03:01 AM   #85
Candlefright
Admiral

diankra wrote: View Post

It's a subtle point, but the Federation of seasons one and two are pretty decent compared with what comes later; there is a certain sense of rule of law, officers who commit atrocities csn be courtmartialed for it (if only for show) and local regimes seem to be given leeway as to how repressive they chose to be (so long as they maontain order). That all ends under Servalan.
It's a subtle point, but it's the difference between living under Kruschev or Breshnev, or Stalin/Hitler/Saddam.
True, but remember the Federation got the shit kicked out of them at Star One, leaving them without a fleet for a while and much of the totalitarianism was knocked back. It was only really in Series Four that they started rebuilding properly with it's drug pacification program again.
Old February 25 2014, 04:33 AM   #86
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Removing Star One from play didn't destroy their fleet, it stopped their ability to co-ordinate intelligence and deploy resources that a planet could be routed and managed without using a fleet.

Old February 25 2014, 05:13 AM   #87
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Removing Star One from play didn't destroy their fleet, it stopped their ability to co-ordinate intelligence and deploy resources that a planet could be routed and managed without using a fleet.
Yea, if Chancellor Sleer had a priority, she certainly had the resources to handle just about any planetary situation in person, even if she didn't have the Communications available to do it from her desk

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2014, 09:06 AM   #88
Candlefright
Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
I was talking about the Andromedan invasion that destroyed over 80% of the Federation fleet.
Old February 25 2014, 10:15 AM   #89
The Haunting
Admiral

diankra wrote: View Post

Very true.

The Federation in series 3 was in a mess, as Tarrant points out in Rescue, Xenon was outside Federation territory before the invasion, and itís well outside their territory after their empire contracted, suggesting the loss of their fleet and Star One was a huge blow. However, clearly they remained powerful enough to stay in control, even of just some core systems, until Sleerís pacification program gave them the ability to start taking back and expanding their empire.

Rumours of Death seems to indicate that, for a while at least, even Earth may have rebelled, given that Shrinker seems to have switched sides, then back again. Plus then you have Anna Grantís little coup further indicating that even Earth isnít safe.

The big question really is where the hell Blake was when all this was going on? The Federation was there for the taking in series 3, and even without the Liberator or Orac youíd have thought Roj Blake would have been swept into power. Or was it just, as Shrinker intimates, that the rebels spent too long ďkicking the corpsesĒ and not enough cementing control?

In series 1/2 I think it isnít beyond the realms of possibility for some kind of peaceful revolution to happen within the Federation, with someone akin to Gobrbachev slowly providing more and more freedoms. By series 4 itís clear that the Federation is a completely totalitarian regime, and itís hard to imagine who can stop them, especially after the events of Blake. I guess if Avon and co managed to spread the cure to the pacification drugs thereís a chance, but even so it seemed like production would be a near impossibility without Betafarl.

I think itís fair to say Servalan wonÖat least until someone more vicious and conniving comes along and supplants her.

"It should be torn down and the ground sown with salt..."
The Haunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2014, 10:39 AM   #90
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Guerilla tactics.

You wait for them to rebuild and then smash it all down AGAIN.

Imagine if the Federation reclaimed all it's territory, and rebuilt everything, and Blake had been there while everything was being rebuilt putting bombs in it, after that happens another four times, they're just going to say Fuck it.

There was no Babylon 6.