RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,651
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 601
Newest member: Damix

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 19 2014, 10:58 AM   #331
Candlelight
Admiral

Re: Rewatching Blake's 7

I case anyone is wondering I've been sick at home so managed to blast through a few of these in a day.
Old May 19 2014, 12:54 PM   #332
Starkers
Admiral

I did wonder

Headhunter’s all right, even in a science fiction show I think there are things that are just too silly, and the notion of the robot putting his head on is one of them. Some good lines for Soolin here though, and Orac’s final line is a hoot

Assassin: Dayna fails again! This isn’t a great episode, though it does have some funny lines and is at least enjoyable in a campy sort of way. I don’t think Avon saving Neebrox was that out of character, though I imagine if he hadn’t been killed Avon would have dumped him on the nearest habitable world. Cancer’s death is horribly overacted!

Games is one of the best episodes of the 4th series for me, maybe because Vila gets so much to do, and even gets to enact the heroic rescue. The games are a little simplistic, but for the time quite well realised.

I really like Gold, like Games one of the series best. Yes Servalan has been shoehorned in a little, but I like the idea of the crew effectively undertaking a bank heist in space. The Space Princess isn’t greatly realised (it only seems to have about half a dozen passengers who just keep milling about to make it look like more) but the bits on the planet are good, and Soolin gets good stuff here, impressing with her skill as a gunsel “Soolin shot them both.” And the final let down is typical of series D as they fail again to get rich.

Sand: I think it’s fair to say that Tarrant and Servalan did the nasty, which probably means only Tarrant and Vila definitely get their end away during the show’s run ( it’s highly likely Tarrant was intimate with Zukan’s daughter as well, and I’d be surprised if he and Dayna didn’t end up finishing the bonding ceremony sometime later as well. Some nice call backs to Sarcophagus and Cally and the fact that even Avon looks a little disgusted with Tarrant at the end is amusing. Like you say terrible sets though. Would have been interesting to see which one the Sand would have tried to kill if it had been Tarrant and Avon on Scorpio.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2014, 05:37 PM   #333
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

I liked Gold quite a bit; I thought the heist plot was fairly well done.

Headhunter is ridiculous, and also a bit gruesome if you think about it. Overall, yeah; this one is a bit too goofy.
Old May 19 2014, 06:24 PM   #334
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

Candlelight wrote: View Post
D10: GOLD

For some reason they shoehorn Servalan into this story (did Pierce have a minimum appearance fee?). Sad but this is the last time Servalan meets any of the Seven face to face.
Don't know about a minimum appearance fee but the story goes that her agent negotiated for a set number of appearances for her.

End result was that Blake roles around there's no Servalan to be seen. By all accounts Jaqueline Pierce was more than a tad pissed off.

Specially when as noted she seems shoe horned into some of the eps.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2014, 07:45 PM   #335
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

On a side note, I just saw Josette Simon, "Dayna," on Death in Paradise this weekend. She has hardly aged at ALL; she looks almost exactly the same.
Old May 19 2014, 09:01 PM   #336
Candlelight
Admiral

auntiehill wrote: View Post
On a side note, I just saw Josette Simon, "Dayna," on Death in Paradise this weekend. She has hardly aged at ALL; she looks almost exactly the same.
I remember seeing Paul Darrow turn up in a Little Britain episode. His role was limited to getting majorly puked on...
Old May 19 2014, 09:02 PM   #337
Candlelight
Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
I really like Gold, like Games one of the series best. Yes Servalan has been shoehorned in a little, but I like the idea of the crew effectively undertaking a bank heist in space. The Space Princess isn’t greatly realised (it only seems to have about half a dozen passengers who just keep milling about to make it look like more) but the bits on the planet are good, and Soolin gets good stuff here, impressing with her skill as a gunsel “Soolin shot them both.” And the final let down is typical of series D as they fail again to get rich.
Plus it has the immortal line of "So... what's the SNAAAAAAAGGGGG, Keeler...???"

Old May 22 2014, 10:15 AM   #338
Candlelight
Admiral

Marc wrote: View Post
What were the upgrades to the sets or where they more behind the scenes such as improving the rigidity?
The Flight Deck has some slight cosmetic changes; the studio floor is now different, and Zen is slightly changed, such as he isn't as bright as he was, and his alcove seems slightly different. A few other tweaks here and there.
Just noticed another major one; the flight consoles of Vila and Avon had four 'boxes' in the first season:

But was modified to five at the start of season two:

Old May 23 2014, 05:05 AM   #339
diankra
Commodore

D10: GOLD

First things first - Steven Pacey playing the drugged up passenger is the best part of this episode. Pacey clearly loves it and you can see him almost breaking into laughter with every successive line. Now the episode itself; Vila gets considerably less to do in this episode, though the argument is he doesn't trust Keeler, and rightly so. Keeler himself is a great guest star, played by the always fun to watch Roy Kinneer. The story doesn't really have the pacing to hold the episode, but it's fun to watch, especially seeing a lot of action, backstabbing and one liners. Orac almost laughs at the end when he reveals how bad things just got for the crew. I remember in the 80s seeing this episode listed as the final one, so I recorded it on an old Beta tape, and watched until I wore a hole in it. It would be about 18 months before the final three episodes would air.

For some reason they shoehorn Servalan into this story (did Pierce have a minimum appearance fee?). Sad but this is the last time Servalan meets any of the Seven face to face.
Vila's role is small, but key. When they think Avon and Soolin are dead, it's very clear who's in charge aboard Scorpio: if they decide it's Keillor's fault, Vila will give the order,, Tarrant and Dayna will just do the shooting.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2014, 10:30 PM   #340
Starkers
Admiral

Which is interesting really given Tarrant never showed much inclination to defer to Vila before!

Old May 24 2014, 03:02 AM   #341
diankra
Commodore

Exactly. Suddenly, quietly, Vila is the menacing guy (speaking lines originally written for Arco) from the first episode. Suspect that's more Michael Keating than the script, but the others go with it and it's a territic little moment.

Also says something about how Tarrant has changed: he's still a bully, but by now he's the closest thing to a conscience the crew has got.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2014, 03:43 AM   #342
Candlelight
Admiral

D11: ORBIT

The fiftieth episode of the series is one of the best. The tight cast and Robert Holmes script never falter. John Savident is always fun to watch, especially when he's got a crazy character to portray. The double cross and double-double cross is excellent, Avon and Vila shine, the others - despite being confined to the ship for the whole episode - get a few good one liners but the episode is remembered for Avon's desire to survive (and Orac's - I always wondered why he would suggest another crew member, although then again he was asked a direct question by Avon). Great stuff.
Old May 24 2014, 04:13 AM   #343
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

^ I love Orbit. I find Avon's, "Vila, please help me," particularly chilling.
Old May 24 2014, 12:13 PM   #344
Starkers
Admiral

diankra wrote: View Post
Exactly. Suddenly, quietly, Vila is the menacing guy (speaking lines originally written for Arco) from the first episode. Suspect that's more Michael Keating than the script, but the others go with it and it's a territic little moment.

Also says something about how Tarrant has changed: he's still a bully, but by now he's the closest thing to a conscience the crew has got.
That's a valid point. I think Tarrant always saw himself as one of the good guys, its just his motivations were more about ego than nobility (Though you could probably make a similar argument for Blake- "I've done it!" for example.)

Orbit is great. It still amuses me that, as a kid, I thought Vila was being paranoid and that Avon always knew how to save them

I think Orac's words make sense, Orac has always had a good survival instinct, can you see Vila being able to kill Avon and dump him off the ship as easily as the reverse?

Old May 25 2014, 01:54 AM   #345
Candlelight
Admiral

One other thing about Orbit is it's the only episode in Blake's 7 history where no one fires a weapon (no one in the crew fires a gun in Sarcophagus but someone in the flashback at the start does).

FYI I'll be finishing my run of this series Wednesday New Zealand time as I'll have a window to watch the remaining two episodes.